Reload this Page >

Makng New Fends - Melbourne!!

Makng New Fends - Melbourne!!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

byronj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Makng New Fends - Melbourne!!

Hi All

Earlier this week I and my wife were awarded our 457 visa and hope to be in Melbourne by Jan 09, however since we applied we have discovered she is pregnant with our first child & due to give birth in mid April

We have sold our house, so we really are not in a position to delay our arrival especially how the housing market is in the UK at the moment .

My only reservation is is that I will be at work all day in the CBD whilst she wont be able to work for 8 months or so. Could anyone advise on any clubs pre and after birth or other support to keep them entertained !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we will try and rent in the bay region in or around Brighton

Thanks for your help in advance
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Makng New Fends - Melbourne!!

We are moving to Melbourne with our kids next year and have found Britvics.org to be absolutely brilliant. The members are, in the main, already over there and therefore well placed to answer any queries. They are also dead friendly. Good luck.
Lorraine
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

thanks, very useful - I have not come across that forum before so will register now !!!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are waiting for our 457 visa to be awarded, and are hoping to be in Melbourne (same sort of reigion as you) first week in Dec, (Jan at latest)
I have a 2 year old and a new born baby (8 weeks old). So If she wants a friend I will be around and would love to discover the mother and baby groups!

Gina
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gina123
Hi, we are waiting for our 457 visa to be awarded, and are hoping to be in Melbourne (same sort of reigion as you) first week in Dec, (Jan at latest)
I have a 2 year old and a new born baby (8 weeks old). So If she wants a friend I will be around and would love to discover the mother and baby groups!

Gina
Hi Gina, that would be grate, my wife Andrea is really pleased ! We are pretty new to this forum so not sure how to get private email address etc to you to keep in touch?????
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:06 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by byronj
Hi Gina, that would be grate, my wife Andrea is really pleased ! We are pretty new to this forum so not sure how to get private email address etc to you to keep in touch?????
You will also find alot of support through your local GP (unlike uk you can move GP very easily - just in case you move suburbs etc)

Meeting people through children is so easy - it should be the last thing to worry about. Plenty of indoor play areas for the smaller toddlers and literally playgrounds everywhere.

Have you been told about the baby bonus yet?

Also having recently gone through a birth ourselves (jan) the process was easy and relaxed - plenty of expat families in Melbourne as well if you need a hand.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

and if you have your baby in Melbourne the hospital pass your details to the Maternal and Child Health nurse (bit like a health visitor in UK I think).
M&CHN then link you up to mums in your area with babies the same age as yours to provide a social and emotional support network,

I knew no-one when I had our daughter, so my mother's group was a godsend. Kids are now 20 months and this Friday we mums are off out to dinner, leaving dads with the kids!

Don't worry, she will not be alone- if anything she will find going back to work a wrench!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi There
Please don't worry, yes I know,easier said than done. Congratulations on the visa and the soon birth of your baby
We currently have quite a few expats who are in the same situation that your wife will be in, in fact one of them is finding it hard to let her hubby go out to work, however we are currently arranging meet ups for stay at home mums so that it is a way to get out and meet new friends.
Like Lorraine mentioned you also have Britvics they have a monthly get together usually of a weekend where all the expats get together and have a bbq or picnics, lots of beers and a great time.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Sadly, you won't get the baby bonus if you are on a 457 visa...... Have to be Permanent Residents to get any of the baby/children benefits.