Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making a will in Oz

Making a will in Oz

Old Feb 28th 2014, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Making a will in Oz

Hi,

Whats the cheapest way to make one, any experiences? Can you buy a DIY one from office stores and get a JP to verify it? Or do you have to go through a solicitor? Also when it is done can you just keep it at home, s at any time tear it up and create a new one? You don't have to allow anyone to keep a copy of it do you? Its just i have never had a will but times are moving on and its something i need to think about? thanks
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a will in Oz

Wills sound simply, but they are very complex in nature. It will depend on many personal factors such as children, property and other assets and how complex your wishes are as to which way you should go - DIY or a professional such as a lawyer.

DIY Will kits vary in quality and it will depend on your ability to decipher their instructions. If you have a complex estate issues / assets then most people will not get it right using a DIY kit.

Each state has different laws regarding wills. Generally speaking independent witnesses will suffice who are over 18 years of age who are not beneficiaries of the estate will do.

Wills should be kept in a safe place and the executor of the Will should be component to carry out your instructions. It is best kept in a safe place and someone should know the existence and location of the Will for obvious reasons.

If no Will can be located or established then the beneficiaries will have to go through the State in order to receive their entitlements.

cheers John
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
Hi,

Whats the cheapest way to make one, any experiences? Can you buy a DIY one from office stores and get a JP to verify it? Or do you have to go through a solicitor? Also when it is done can you just keep it at home, s at any time tear it up and create a new one? You don't have to allow anyone to keep a copy of it do you? Its just i have never had a will but times are moving on and its something i need to think about? thanks
Ny will is on a form from Aus Pist, wirnessed at work, total cost $25. I have little toleave and its very straightforward, works for me. However for something complex I'd suggest someone official looks it over at the very least.

Reminds me actually, I rewrote mine and it not witnessed yet, sod it, rhat means I can't rely on it being used if I walk under a train tonight

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 1st 2014 at 12:34 am.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:31 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a will for free through the Public Trustee office in QLD. contact them for further details. I did mine and also my health directive and they will only get a small percentage of my estate as payment when/if I die and they act as executor. Not suitable for everyone but a perfect solution for me. You can choose to pay them a fee and choose a different executor. They also file and store your official copy and you get a copy to file wherever you think is best.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john in oz
If no Will can be located or established then the beneficiaries will have to go through the State in order to receive their entitlements.
In fact, the law of an intestacy would generally be followed if no will can be found. This means that the beneficiaries of the will could lose out.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by john in oz
Wills sound simply, but they are very complex in nature. It will depend on many personal factors such as children, property and other assets and how complex your wishes are as to which way you should go - DIY or a professional such as a lawyer.

DIY Will kits vary in quality and it will depend on your ability to decipher their instructions. If you have a complex estate issues / assets then most people will not get it right using a DIY kit.

Each state has different laws regarding wills. Generally speaking independent witnesses will suffice who are over 18 years of age who are not beneficiaries of the estate will do.

Wills should be kept in a safe place and the executor of the Will should be component to carry out your instructions. It is best kept in a safe place and someone should know the existence and location of the Will for obvious reasons.

cheers John
John, thankyou for your very imformsative post.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ny will is on a form from Aus Pist, wirnessed at work, total cost $25. I have little toleave and its very straightforward, works for me. However for something complex I'd suggest someone official looks it over at the very least.

Reminds me actually, I rewrote mine and it not witnessed yet, sod it, rhat means I can't rely on it being used if I walk under a train tonight
Pollyana thanyou very much.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
You can do a will for free through the Public Trustee office in QLD. contact them for further details. I did mine and also my health directive and they will only get a small percentage of my estate as payment when/if I die and they act as executor. Not suitable for everyone but a perfect solution for me. You can choose to pay them a fee and choose a different executor. They also file and store your official copy and you get a copy to file wherever you think is best.
Very interesting thankyou choccy
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Regarding the will, its just to cover any pension money saved or any cash left in banks. Thats all, i own no property or stocks or shares or anything. Only left to my partner thats all, common partner no wedlock on paper. So a pretty simple will, but still needs sorting as easily and cheaply as possible.

Thanks for yall the replies
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

The http://www.tag.nsw.gov.au/about-us-2.html is a statutory body who have no charge for preparing wills provided that they are appointed the Trustee. Beware of some websites with "Public Trustee" in their name. We have been using the Trustee & Guardian for about 40 years and can update our will at any time. They also prepare other documents such as Power of Attorney and Power of Guardianship free of charge. The TAG does charge more than a solicitor for administering a will but they do have statutory powers to speed up the process and often avoid problems. Our experience and that of our family with them has always been very positive.

You should also think about a Living Will, this is where you give instructions for end of life on whether you want to be resuscitated or not and a few other things.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:38 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The link for the QLD version of the TAG

https://www.pt.qld.gov.au/