Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making new friends in Sydney

Making new friends in Sydney

Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:06 am
Just Joined

HollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really nice
Default Making new friends in Sydney

Hi, I'm an IT professional in my 40s and I arrived in Sydney a few weeks ago, I'm on an extended holiday until May 2011, this is now my 4th time here and I have been thinking for some time about the possibility of moving over more permanently or at least for a couple of years. I found myself in the fortunate position of being able to take some time off work and do a proper reccy trip - so here I am.

I'd love to meet others who have made the move, or on their way to making the move to chat to about their experiences good and bad, and it would also be nice just to make a few new friends since I'll be here for a while. I'm based in Manly at the moment so that's as good a place as any to arrange a venue, but if people prefer somewhere more central that's fine by me. I'm a lady of leisure after all.

So if you fancy meeting up for a coffee/beer/glass of wine over the next couple of weeks and give me the benefit of your wisdom I'd love to hear from you.

Monica
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Making new friends in Sydney

Originally Posted by HollyTree
Hi, I'm an IT professional in my 40s and I arrived in Sydney a few weeks ago, I'm on an extended holiday until May 2011, this is now my 4th time here and I have been thinking for some time about the possibility of moving over more permanently or at least for a couple of years. I found myself in the fortunate position of being able to take some time off work and do a proper reccy trip - so here I am.

I'd love to meet others who have made the move, or on their way to making the move to chat to about their experiences good and bad, and it would also be nice just to make a few new friends since I'll be here for a while. I'm based in Manly at the moment so that's as good a place as any to arrange a venue, but if people prefer somewhere more central that's fine by me. I'm a lady of leisure after all.

So if you fancy meeting up for a coffee/beer/glass of wine over the next couple of weeks and give me the benefit of your wisdom I'd love to hear from you.

Monica
Hi Monica

We have a get together for drinks in the CBD usually every Thursday. There are quite a few of us and ages range from twenties to forties (like me!). If you keep an eye on the forums you will see Sydney CBD Thursday drinks. I'm not sure it will be on this week though as it's so close to New Year's eve. My chap is also in IT and also looking to make the move over here - he's coming back over in February for a month - so we have been having a bit of a reccy too and could swap notes.

Why not come along next Thursday - I'm sure we will be having a meet up somewhere.

Best wishes
Claire
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:43 am
Just Joined

HollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really nice

Claire, thanks very much for the response, yes I had seen something about the Thursday night meets but wasn't sure about the age group or whether I'd fit in! That's great, yes I'd love to come along to the next one then. Since tomorrow is Thursday and there's no mention of it on the board I'll assume it's not on this week. Is it the same time and place each week or do you vary it?

Thanks again.

Monica
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Lorraine313 will become famous soon enough

Monica
Hi Monica
Happy to catch up, live south and been here 11 years... lorraine313
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Hi Lorraine, not sure where south is! can you get to the city centre at all?

Monica
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Lorraine, not sure where south is! can you get to the city centre at all?

Monica
Yes I live in illawong 30 mins
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Not far. Just 30 mins to cbd
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, my OH who is in his 40's is in IT, and we have been living in the Northern beaches- tho started off in Manly for a month. If we can help, let us know.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura about

Claire, thanks very much for the response, yes I had seen something about the Thursday night meets but wasn't sure about the age group or whether I'd fit in! That's great, yes I'd love to come along to the next one then. Since tomorrow is Thursday and there's no mention of it on the board I'll assume it's not on this week. Is it the same time and place each week or do you vary it?

Thanks again.

Monica
We go to a different place each Thursday but in the CBD, the details are on the weekly post and usually Swervo puts them up on a Tuesday but he's back home at present. I'm sure there will be something next Thursday and it would be great to meet you.

Happy New Year
Claire
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Hi there, my OH who is in his 40's is in IT, and we have been living in the Northern beaches- tho started off in Manly for a month. If we can help, let us know.
Hi Caroline ... I might have to piggy-back on your offer to Monica too for my OH!! Would you mind if I sent you a PM to tell you about him and see if you can give me any tips?

Thanks
Claire
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Hi Caroline, yes it would be great to meet up with you and your OH. When I work out how to send PM's I'll send you one to arrange a date/time/venue if that's ok with you.

Hi Lorraine, similarly I'll send you a PM with my email address and if you can't make the Thursday meeting we can maybe arrange to meet for a coffee sometime.

Thanks, Monica
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline, yes it would be great to meet up with you and your OH. When I work out how to send PM's I'll send you one to arrange a date/time/venue if that's ok with you.

Hi Lorraine, similarly I'll send you a PM with my email address and if you can't make the Thursday meeting we can maybe arrange to meet for a coffee sometime.

Thanks, Monica
To send a PM you simply click on the person's name you want to send a message to. A drop-down box will appear with some choices. Click on "send private message" and start typing. Alternately you go to the top right hand corner of the page and click on the "private messages" link up there. Follow the links and away you go.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
To send a PM you simply click on the person's name you want to send a message to. A drop-down box will appear with some choices. Click on "send private message" and start typing. Alternately you go to the top right hand corner of the page and click on the "private messages" link up there. Follow the links and away you go.
Dorothy, thanks for the pointers, I had worked it out by then and managed to send a couple of PMs.

Monica