Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making new friends down under

Making new friends down under

Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Making new friends down under

We are moving to the Sunshine Coast on Jan 18th - YIPPEE

I was wondering how people have found making new friends in Aus. When I visited Aus I found everyone very friendly. We have visions of lots of BBQs and enjoying the outdoors. We have no kids, so school will not be a factor for us to meet people.

What are people's experinces of making new mates? Luckily we have family out there, so that will be a good way to network.

I am just interested to hear other peoples stories.

The Spinkways
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making new friends down under

We are very fortunate to already know a couple of families in Perth where we are heading ...

I am a keen footballer (the proper version) and can't wait to join a Club down there where the social scene is always guaranteed.

We have two small boys who will both be attending day care / kindy and hopefully the breadknife will be able to "circulate" with other mothers.

I intend finding employment pretty soon after getting ourselves sorted and will naturally hope to form friendships with colleagues although as we all know this isn't always the case

I have this really stupid notion in my head ... well maybe it ain't so stupid ... When we get established in our modern fully equipped beachside 4 x 2 rental I will draft up an invite to all the neighbours in the street asking them 'round for a bbq and a few beers ... Naturally I will explain we are Poms and new to the area and looking to make friends. I expect nobody to turn up

Ahhh ... the dream.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by jacknscoob

I was wondering how people have found making new friends in Aus. When I visited Aus I found everyone very friendly. We have visions of lots of BBQs and enjoying the outdoors. We have no kids, so school will not be a factor for us to meet people.

What are people's experinces of making new mates? Luckily we have family out there, so that will be a good way to network.

The Spinkways
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Thanks Three Legs

That's a great idea!! Not stupid at all. People are really friendly and I bet they would be pleased to meet you all. That is something we will def consider once settled.

I remember when we were over last Jan and looking round at the new developments, as we were driving in people waved at us, saying hello! In Mitcham people would phone the police if they saw a stranger driving into an estate :scared:

The Spinkways
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:37 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

The Spinkways
Hi we also dont have kids and NO family out there I'm sure we will meet people socially. Plus there are peeps on this site you may be able to hook up with?

Possoms
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:01 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I have this really stupid notion in my head ... well maybe it ain't so stupid ... When we get established in our modern fully equipped beachside 4 x 2 rental I will draft up an invite to all the neighbours in the street asking them 'round for a bbq and a few beers ... Naturally I will explain we are Poms and new to the area and looking to make friends. I expect nobody to turn up

Ahhh ... the dream.

Three Legs
We actually did this just this summer after moving into our current house in November. It was a great way to meet the neighbours, and a couple of them have done the same since. It felt a little weird at first but once the wine was flowed it was a blast.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

The Spinkways
I find it easier with kids, to make friends.I met some lovely mums at school, and we have become good friends, and have a great social life. Denise