British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Making the Move to Perth AU.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/making-move-perth-au-896140/)

lisaW1610 Apr 30th 2017 4:42 pm

Making the Move to Perth AU..

My husband and I are looking into making the move from Scotland Uk to Perth Au. We have 2 children, 7 and 4, and expecting number 3.

My husband works as an Estimating engineer and has experience in rail, electric, renewable energy and oil and gas. We were told there is a growing need for applicants in this sector in Perth??
We are looking for advice on suburbs that are reasonably close to the city that have good schools and are family orientated, we would be renting at first and think we could afford about 700 per week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dorothy Apr 30th 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Making the Move to Perth AU..

Originally Posted by lisaW1610 (Post 12241530)
My husband and I are looking into making the move from Scotland Uk to Perth Au. We have 2 children, 7 and 4, and expecting number 3.

My husband works as an Estimating engineer and has experience in rail, electric, renewable energy and oil and gas. We were told there is a growing need for applicants in this sector in Perth??
We are looking for advice on suburbs that are reasonably close to the city that have good schools and are family orientated, we would be renting at first and think we could afford about 700 per week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What visa are you coming on? Visa first, areas to live next.

lisaW1610 May 1st 2017 5:02 am

Hi, We have PR. We stayed in Sydney for 3 years and left about 4 years ago.

xizzles May 1st 2017 5:47 am

I'm no expert when it comes to Perth - actually let me rephrase that: according to my wife, I'm simply no expert, end of - but we will be looking at properties in Subiaco and Mount Hawley this coming June on our visit to Perth. I've been told by true experts that those are good suburbs to start off with.

Good luck!

verystormy May 1st 2017 5:54 am

You are aware that West Australia is in a deep recession at the moment?

No, your husbands skills are not in demand in Perth. Far from it.

Beoz May 1st 2017 5:56 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12241811)
I'm no expert when it comes to Perth - actually let me rephrase that: according to my wife, I'm simply no expert, end of - but we will be looking at properties in Subiaco and Mount Hawley this coming June on our visit to Perth. I've been told by true experts that those are good suburbs to start off with.

Good luck!

And they should listen to the property investor who thinks Perth has hit rock bottom. There may be an underlying message there. :)

xizzles May 1st 2017 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12241816)
And they should listen to the property investor who thinks Perth has hit rock bottom. There may be an underlying message there. :)

Oh for heaven's sake haha. I'm just trying to think out of the box and perhaps do a viable visa run between the Lion City and the Lucky Land via the most accessible point, viz Perth.

It's all very preliminary at the moment and as this will strictly be a owner occupier apartment/villa/townhouse, I'm setting a very tight budget of no more than $500,000. Hardly the stuff that would cause a ripple really.

Dorothy May 1st 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12241822)
Oh for heaven's sake haha. I'm just trying to think out of the box and perhaps do a viable visa run between the Lion City and the Lucky Land via the most accessible point, viz Perth.

It's all very preliminary at the moment and as this will strictly be a owner occupier apartment/villa/townhouse, I'm setting a very tight budget of no more than $500,000. Hardly the stuff that would cause a ripple really.

You won't get much on Subi or Mt Lawley (I presume you meant Mt Lawley) for 500k. Leederville is supposed to be goid calue or look further out for good deals.

xizzles May 1st 2017 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12241824)
You won't get much on Subi or Mt Lawley (I presume you meant Mt Lawley) for 500k. Leederville is supposed to be goid calue or look further out for good deals.

You're not wrong there, Dot. A quick glance at domain.com.au returned a paltry 1/2 a dozen properties at Mt Lawley (sorry for the earlier typo) and a big fat squat all in Subiaco!

Dorothy May 1st 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12241830)
You're not wrong there, Dot. A quick glance at domain.com.au returned a paltry 1/2 a dozen properties at Mt Lawley (sorry for the earlier typo) and a big fat squat all in Subiaco!

Let me know when you're comi g and I'll take you around to some nice places. There are definitely some hidden gems here but you have to know where to look

Beoz May 1st 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12241822)

Hey, nothing wrong with that. If you think you can make money from it go nuts. You won't be the first to think Perth might be a good buy right now.

Amazulu May 1st 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12241824)

Yes, I prefer Leederville to Subiaco too - a very overrated place IMO

the troubadour May 2nd 2017 9:38 am

Subi is very over rated. Actually been in decline for sometime. Being a Leederville resident, probably biased, but few other places in the metro area would interest me.
I still find house prices too expensive though. No hurry wait a time property is going nowhere but down.
Rents are in decline. The OP should seek out a good deal. Some decent property on the market at the moment. Renters have the upper hand.

Bloodyseppo May 2nd 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by lisaW1610 (Post 12241530)

For $700/week you should be able to find a nice place in many suburbs with good schools near(ish) to the city.

For very good to excellent public schools - south of the river I would be looking at places like South Perth, Victoria Park, Como, Rossmoyne, Applecross, Attadale, Bicton. North of the river, any suburbs in the Shenton College catchment area, Mt Lawley, Highgate, most of the western suburbs.

Don't know about demand for your professions at this time though.

northernbird May 3rd 2017 2:47 am

I would not be considering a move to Perth in your position right now.