Reload this Page >

Making Friends in a New City

Making Friends in a New City

Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Richard74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making Friends in a New City

Hi,

I've been in Sydney for two months and am working, but despite having more friends back in the UK than I physically have time to keep up with, I haven't really made any here and am finding things...well, very difficult.

I've been away travelling by myself for a year now, but despite being in the country that most resembles Britain I am more homesick than ever. Am I going mad?!

I wondered if anyone had any advice on coping with this, and what you did to settle and get to know people - in short make a life for yourself.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Friends in a New City

Its tough for sure. Are you on your own??

I have made friends through the footie club, a team sport is always a good place to mix i think

I think the sydney peeps just had a meet, contact soapy i think he's their events manager

Or lternativly you could host your own tupperware party, you'll soon have the aussies flocking in

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Richard74
Hi,

I've been in Sydney for two months and am working, but despite having more friends back in the UK than I physically have time to keep up with, I haven't really made any here and am finding things...well, very difficult.

I've been away travelling by myself for a year now, but despite being in the country that most resembles Britain I am more homesick than ever. Am I going mad?!

I wondered if anyone had any advice on coping with this, and what you did to settle and get to know people - in short make a life for yourself.

Thanks.
Hi Richard
Probably not much help to you but just wanted to say I feel exactly the same. I've been in South Australia since April and I have been struggling. Last week I got that peed off with how I was feeling I went on the Adelaide Brits site and basically started a thread to say how I was feeling and I got lots of helpful replies from people. I've now met some of them and found that they meet on a regular basis. Things have been getting better for me. I decided that I had to keep myself busy so I keep a diary and write down at least one thing that I have to do every day, even if it is just a walk around the estate. This week I have got full diary!!!! so I know I won't have too bad a week now. I know it's different for me cos I'm a stay at home mum with kids. But just starting this thread may get other people in your area to reply. Are you on your own or do you have family with you?
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Joanne
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this doesnt sound as though its going to be much use but thank god for the school run!!! its always worked for me and i plan to put it to good use when we move. i shall simply inflict myself on some unsuspecting mothers!! be afraid, be very afraid!!

however, like i said, i dont think this will apply to you - sorry!!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:23 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Making Friends in a New City

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi Richard,

I know exactly how you feel.
We have been here for six weeks now, don't really know anyone, can get really lonely at times especially as we don't have jobs yet.
I had just discovered this site over a week ago and decided to respond to a thread about people living in my area.
We met up with two other couples on Friday night and really enjoyed our selves.
I suggest you start a thread looking for other people in your area and I am sure that you will get loads of response.
If we lived in your area we would certainly meet up with you!
Good luck,

Julie
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Richard74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Yes I am on my own, almost completely. I have a friend in Manly but I've moved into the city (nearer to work, don't want to live in a suburb as I've done that all my life already, and so on), and going to Manly is a royal pain in the backside, plus I want to make my own life anyway. But my god it's hard work. I'm absolutely fine when I've met new people and have been chatting for ten minutes, it's just that initial shyness thing that I've been blessed with that is really screwing me over!

Maybe the sporting thing is a good idea. Thankyou. If anyone else has any bright ideas or experiences to share, I'd love to hear them.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the sporting thing is a good idea. Thankyou. If anyone else has any bright ideas or experiences to share, I'd love to hear them.
Thats ok , but i was hoping you'd go for the tupperware option (damn )
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

despite being in the country that most resembles Britain
Whilst this may be true in some respects it is a very different culture here. It may be that you *have* friends in the ozzie sense. Also, regardless of cultural differences, it takes several years to get the depth of friendship that you get from, er, several years of being around together.

Perhaps you are not doing so badly and should give it time.

My experience is that ozzies are very easy to get along with and quite interested in offering invitations and wanting to do things together. Take advantage of this whilst keeping your expectations in check

Hope it goes well mate.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:37 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Yes I am on my own, almost completely. I have a friend in Manly but I've moved into the city (nearer to work, don't want to live in a suburb as I've done that all my life already, and so on), and going to Manly is a royal pain in the backside, plus I want to make my own life anyway. But my god it's hard work. I'm absolutely fine when I've met new people and have been chatting for ten minutes, it's just that initial shyness thing that I've been blessed with that is really screwing me over!

Try joining clubs/groups in things that interest you. I've found that even if you're shy, most Aussies aren't and will try to include you if you share an interest. Or if there is something you've always wanted to try out, then maybe you could do it. I would never have thought of joining a 4 wheel drive club in England, for instance.

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richard. This might be a bit late, but a huge bunch of expats in the Sydney area met up yesterday. We try to have it every 6 weeks or so. There’s a number of young couples attend on a regular basis, but not too many single people. I think this is because they think its all families and stuff. Its nothing like that, it’s just a bunch of folk getting to know each other and have a laugh. If some singles attend then maybe more might follow. Sometimes there’s a meet in the evening for adults only. So far this hasn’t taken off, I think it was just bad timing and the fact that people haven’t had a chance to find babysitters. Any other night would have been packed. But it’s a start and I hope it now grows. Its potluck really, u post a date and hope as many as possible can make it.
Just remember Richard it took u a lifetime to make your friends in the uk.
Anyway good luck Richard and hope one day to catch up with u.
soapy
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
I found Sydney quite hard I moved there with a boyfriend and he was away in the Navy and so was our other flat mate so it did make it harder. Try asking one of your workmates out for lunch etc. I used to go out with quite a few of my workmates mostly lunch and sometimes evening and a couple of them became good mates. The other thing is I used to eat out and started going to the same places so you start getting a few places familiar to you and you will find people will talk to you there. I used to get adopted by some of the Italians at some of the places I went to and if they like you you may find they include you.

Sports aren't everyone's bag, but if you get the Sydney yellow pages out in your area and go down activities and clubs you may find one that rings your bell and of course you will meet people that way. Let people also know you are knew in town and finding it a bit difficult you may find you get adopted by loads of people. Often you will find many people in the same boat as you and the ones who are sometimes easier to make friends are the new migrants whether they are italian, greek, south african, brit blah blah, and you may find them easier to make friends with than people who have lived in Sydney all their lives and have their own groups of friends. Sometimes they can be harder to break into.

Do you live on your own, how about getting a flat mate, there are agencies in Sydney and maybe that will also help, and again if they are in the same boat as you, you will have someone to go out with etc......hopefully.

Hope this helps, the hardest part of making friends is going through that process, and I think when you emigrate you are more conscious of it as usually before people seemed to just be there in your life.

Keep you chin up.