Making Friends

Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Smile Making Friends

We are in the process of thinking about the making the move. (talked about it for a while now). My OH is thinking is it easy to make friends? Silly question I know but leaving friends etc behind those of you who have made the move are you now settled with a group of friends?

We have two young children so I know I will meet mums etc via school but as a couple we do enjoy the company of friends for get togethers etc.

We are thinking of Perth area Im a teacher and OH a joiner. I think he should be okay workwise but Ive read lots of details saying teaching jobs are few and far between any advice on this? GUess i will have to become a lady of leisure!!

thanks

Nicky

Like many thinking should we do it?? what have we got to loose??
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Making Friends

Originally Posted by nbn8
We are in the process of thinking about the making the move. (talked about it for a while now). My OH is thinking is it easy to make friends? Silly question I know but leaving friends etc behind those of you who have made the move are you now settled with a group of friends?

We have two young children so I know I will meet mums etc via school but as a couple we do enjoy the company of friends for get togethers etc.

We are thinking of Perth area Im a teacher and OH a joiner. I think he should be okay workwise but Ive read lots of details saying teaching jobs are few and far between any advice on this? GUess i will have to become a lady of leisure!!

thanks

Nicky

Hey Nicky, I am also a teacher and am planning a move to Sydney. The job situation for teachers in NSW isn't great at the moment but I think the situation is different in WA. They were actually holding interviews in Glasgow last week to recruit teachers to go and work in Perth. However many of these jobs were in rural areas with an expectation that you 'do your time' in a more remote school for at least 3 years before expecting to secure a position in a more central area. If you don't fancy this route then the 'lady of leisure' option may be a good one!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I'd be going for the lady of leisure role!!!! Teaching jobs, especially primary, are hard to get anywhere in Aus that people really, really want to live in. There are oodles of jobs out in rural and remote areas but no one wants to commit to a lifetime there and so that is very hard for families - often there isnt much work for the other partner and who wants to be uprooting their kids every few years. Several states definitely look favourably on those who have done their hardship placement before landing a plum job.

However, on the down side of that - if you are someone who has had a working life and is used to being useful and busy, you could well go stir crazy being forced into the SAHM role so be sure to get some outlet for your own satisfaction and interest.

As for making friends - there is a thread already on here about belonging and the development of friendships. Everyone's experiences are different but I find that I have acquaintances rather than deep enduring friendships. I tend to think that friendships form best when there have been shared developmental experiences (like university etc) and it takes something special to form that sort of bond when you are just in casual acquaintanceship. I only have a couple of "real" friends here (the ones that you could call at 2am if you needed them) but a wide circle of acquaintances that I would have coffee with.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by nbn8

thanks

Nicky

We are planning to move to Perth too. Thats one thing i am worried about, we have 2 small children and i am hoping like you that through schools etc we will be able to make lots of new friends. We know we will never be able to 'replace' the friends we have in the UK but im looking forward to hopefully make lots of new friends in Perth. I think its just a case of putting yourself out there.
I think you should definatley go for it...lifes to short for ifs and buts...x