Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making flight more comfortable

Making flight more comfortable

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future
Default Making flight more comfortable

Hi everyone
Anyone got any tips? we have done this flight 6 times before but have never enjoyed it, can never get comfortable, can't sleep, someone suggested getting some herbal tabs to help us relax more, worth a try I suppose!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

darren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant future
Default Re: Making flight more comfortable

I hope someone can recommend something as I am 6' 5" and am dreading the flight purely for the room my legs get
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:11 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Get in early and get an emergency exit? I managed that on my first flight, pot luck after the stopovers though I think. Don't envy you though mate, I'm 5' 9" and it was near torture. My Ipod is my number one item for the flight though.

Originally Posted by darren k
I hope someone can recommend something as I am 6' 5" and am dreading the flight purely for the room my legs get
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:13 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darren k
My hubby's slightly taller than you and all you can do is get the emergency exit...unless you can afford business class of course
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Space-bunny will become famous soon enough

Im just 5ft. Gr8 you would think for planes. no coz my feet cant touch the ground and just about touch the foot rest(get v v sore thighs). Best thing take an isle seat then you can get up and have a little walk
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:41 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

put a splint on your leg, so that it cannot be bent.

They will give you the first row seat nr exit, and you get tons of leg room
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
put a splint on your leg, so that it cannot be bent.

They will give you the first row seat nr exit, and you get tons of leg room
haha
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:46 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

First flight i got to oz, i was so nervous, i got on the plane before everyone else.

30 mins later fella walks upto me and says , your in my seat !!!

the cheek !!!

I said bugger off, i got here first !!!!!

So he said, you FLY the bloody plane then !
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Banned

randomdelusion will become famous soon enoughrandomdelusion will become famous soon enough

I am 6'5 and when I flew I got to the airport an hour before 1st check in to get a bulk head seat, one of the downsides is that where they house the babies, I had four under 2 year olds in my row. After a few sleeping pills and a couple of glasses of red wine I slept fitfully.

I have heard some airlines now charge extra for bulk head seats but i flew BA and did not have to pay. BA also had a really good range of movies (about 50), oh yeah and i didn't sleep for 24 hours before the flight

Just found these as well;

http://airtravel.about.com/cs/inflight/a/longflight.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Comfortabl...-Airplane-Trip

Last edited by randomdelusion; Jan 6th 2008 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by randomdelusion
BA also had a really good range of movies (about 50), oh yeah and i didn't sleep for 24 hours before the flight
Thats sounds lovley 4 weeks today and I'll be on that B.A plane. 50 movies plus a glass of wine sounds good too me.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
Hi everyone
Anyone got any tips? we have done this flight 6 times before but have never enjoyed it, can never get comfortable, can't sleep, someone suggested getting some herbal tabs to help us relax more, worth a try I suppose!
Mmm, comfort and long haul flight aren't really words that go together! I just tell myself I've got 24hrs of hell coming up and after that it'll be worth it (bit like having a baby really) lol
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:04 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gillysm
Mmm, comfort and long haul flight aren't really words that go together! I just tell myself I've got 24hrs of hell coming up and after that it'll be worth it (bit like having a baby really) lol
Uh huh ... If I ever fly again without kids then I shall count my blessings and settle into a nice relaxed surf of the entertainment systems.

I know booze isn't recommended but my first Jim Beam and Coke goes down very nicely indeed ...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:15 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
Hi everyone

Book Business or First Class
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Bulk seats are good for leg room, but the armrests don't lift up which can be a bit of a pain if you want to lean on each other. Also they are often by the galley which can be noisier and lighter and disturb light sleepers.

Sometimes you can get a set of 2 seats together (towards the back often) and they have quite a big gap between the seat and the window, so with clever use of pillows you can get yourself quite a bit of room.

This site is great for checking out what seat types are available:

www.seatguru.com

You need to know the plane model.

You may have tried this, but I find ear plugs and an eye mask are essential for sleeping - particularly the ear plugs.

Going against the trend I prefer day flights, as like you I find it difficult to sleep, I just look at it as a very long movie watching session or I catch up on writing postcards or take a puzzle book. Then I book myself into the transit hotel and catch up on some sleep on a nice flat bed!

Other simple things:

1) Change out of shoes into bed socks.

2) If you suffer from feeling stuffed up then take some eucalyptus oil, or breathe in the steam from the hot towel when they bring it round.

3) Go for a walk at the back of the plane there is room there to have a chat standing up, take a glass of wine with you - it just breaks the monotony of seating in your seat for 10 hours.

4) Get one of those airplane cushions made out of memory foam - they are more expensive but squash up into your hand luggage and are suppose to be more comfortable

5) If you order a special meal (check the airline for options), you will often get your food first and then you can often take the tray to the galley before they start serving the rest so you are not stuck with the tray for ages.

I think a lot of people try to make the flight go quicker by sleeping through it, but if you can't sleep properly I think this makes it drag more. Whereas as if you decided to watch a movie for a couple of hours, eat, go on the internet, play cards, go for a walk, write in your diary etc then the time doesn't drag as much.

Either that or go to the doctor, say you are scared of flying and they will probably prescribe you a couple of valium!

WithIce x
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:39 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

My list includes blanket scented with lavender oil, bed socks, L-HTP tablets to promote sleep, no jet-lag tablets ordered on ebay from new zealand (have read rave reviews), silk eye mask and squidgy ear plugs.

I will NOT be drinking alcohol this time (except maybe a quick glass of fizz)-last time we flew back from Aus (10 yrs ago when we were young & immature ) OH and I had drinking comp with 2 large Swedish blokes-funniest thing was we won (despite me being half their size). Hideous jet-lag/hangover combi though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.