Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

"Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

I think happiness is a "me" thing. If I am going to be the "glass half empty" sort, I'd be unhappy anywhere, big city or otherwise.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I think I know the ones that are pushing up the stats.

Hubby stuck in an office 10 hours a day to maintain her lifestyle, she's in her Porsche Cayenne with the only annoying aspect in her life the fact that she has to get up early to drive her kid to school.

As soon as she steps out there's a paper-cup latte in hand (certainly didn't stop to buy one along the way so it's probably part of the ATTIRE with the same cup always staying in the car), dressed as if she's about to go jogging though she's about to head straight back home. Judgemental, unpleasant, egocentric, with the inner belief that they have achieved everything in life.
People eh?

As I've said on BE before there is a time and a place for everything.
Noone minds you buying the top car if at least you are buying it for safety, comfort and you like it, and can afford it. I tend to buy expensive brands when it suits me but then I expect to get decades out of them. For me it is a sort of value proposition to buy shoes that will last me 10 years.

I embarass my daughters by dropping them off to ballet, (yes, yes, I know) in a 20 year old Ford Falcon that has never been garaged and goes up and down a dirt road so cosmetically it looks awful : it really does - it is a simple fact that our car is often the oldest and dirtiest, and cobwebbed car down in the suburbs and everyone looking down at us could be forgiven for judging us. But then I don't walk around in trainers and a hoody when I get out of the bloody thing... Some of the people at the dance school driving brand new Audis talk rubbish incessantly and seem to think that ballet is going to make they classy. (So why do we do it - because the kids' mother danced. Talking rubbish - I love talking rubbish : if you point the finger at others have a look at yourself first)...I was listening to some of the mothers and I can't help thinking if they are going to talk about the minutae of everyday life, at least talk about what they are going to have for dinner with a bit more interest..but maybe they are not interested in what I have to say. I like to think I have a bit more elan in the conversation department..maybe I am wrong.

Mothers wearing jogging gear. One of the problems I have with leisure wear is that it's sort of laziness. I actually reckon a man over 35 needs to ditch the hoody and trainers. But if someone is time-poor then it goes on quickly for the school-run. Also if there is a bit of a bulge then sports gear accommodates a bit of gain here, a bit of loss there. My wife has never struggled with her weight but she gives herself a hard time over small fluctuations - (it's exhausting!) again a dancer's perogative, perhaps so her leisure wear is convenient.

Coffee. One cup a day for me, from a perculator.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think poor transport infrastructure is a contributor. Over reliance on cars and housing that is too large (on average).
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

I think I know the ones that are pushing up the stats.

Hubby stuck in an office 10 hours a day to maintain her lifestyle, she's in her Porsche Cayenne with the only annoying aspect in her life the fact that she has to get up early to drive her kid to school.

As soon as she steps out there's a paper-cup latte in hand (certainly didn't stop to buy one along the way so it's probably part of the ATTIRE with the same cup always staying in the car), dressed as if she's about to go jogging though she's about to head straight back home. Judgemental, unpleasant, egocentric, with the inner belief that they have achieved everything in life.
Perth Western Suburbs!!!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's easy to see why, 10-15 years ago Australia was great and the quality of life I think generally unsurpassed, but then the secret got out and the rampant population growth with virtually no infrastructure growth to keep up has made it a miserable place.

Sure the weather can be nicer, but you now have all the problems of the Northern Hemisphere cities and towns without any of the solutions. Strained healthcare systems, abysmal public transport, clogged roads (escape the rat race of London to come and live in Western Melbourne for a 2 hour commute each way) and on top of that some the most expensive house prices in the world in comparison to income. Most people struggling to pay huge mortgages, private school fees and Toyota Prados.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Strained healthcare systems, abysmal public transport, clogged roads (escape the rat race of London to come and live in Western Melbourne for a 2 hour commute each way)
I was reading this and thinking, "where is this place". Then you said. Might be time to move?

and on top of that some the most expensive house prices in the world in comparison to income. Most people struggling to pay huge mortgages, private school fees and Toyota Prados.
I'm not sure that's quite correct.

World Map of Price to Income Ratio for 2015 Mid Year
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I was reading this and thinking, "where is this place". Then you said. Might be time to move?

I'm not sure that's quite correct.

World Map of Price to Income Ratio for 2015 Mid Year
Well definitely least affordable

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...17-ghp79j.html
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

on top of that some the most expensive house prices in the world in comparison to income. Most people struggling to pay huge mortgages, private school fees and Toyota Prados.
Are you talking about Australia, UK, Canada or New Zealand?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you talking about Australia, UK, Canada or New Zealand?
Or Hong Kong or New York or London or the mass of Asian cities?
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The other input to affordability apart from income is obviously median deposit available to the local purchaser. Income can't be the only measure when comparing.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:33 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I think it might be high time to look at removing some vital aspects of the economy from the speculative/investment matrix.

I mean if you want to speculate: buy stocks, shares, gamble, etc. But speculative capital, which has grown to enormous proportions over the decades and has even forced the Swiss national bank to surrender in its efforts to keep the currency at a competitive level, should not be able to affect such fundamentals as housing or fuel prices. I mean how many times have fuel prices spiralled by so-called investors who never had to receive a litre of fuel physically? Time to cut the bullshit and stop certain areas from being at the behest of financial vultures. A good example is Norway: expensive as heck, but yet when you look at property prices they are absolutely normal.

Last edited by astera; Aug 6th 2015 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:59 am
Just Joined

fungrid is an unknown quantity at this point

You've been to Mosman haven't you?

These women are very alive and kicking here in Sydney too - The North Shore and Eastern Suburbs are full of them
Ah yes, Mosman. It has the highest proportion of divorced women in Sydney. They sit in cafes with their overly made up mothers. Generations of ex-husbands pick up the tab.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:37 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that the friendliest people - true Australian - are those living in the country. For some reason big cities are a magnet for the worst elements of society, and I don't mean the typical stuff that goes on in all major cities but even everyday people you interact with.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seems to me that the friendliest people - true Australian - are those living in the country. For some reason big cities are a magnet for the worst elements of society, and I don't mean the typical stuff that goes on in all major cities but even everyday people you interact with.
I don't experience this. I think Australians in the city are true Australians as well in every sense. I live very close to Brisbane city and the people I meet around here (local schools, parks, cafes, friends etc) are on the whole lovely...loving parents, many intelligent and decent people.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Cringe - tries to cover up mistake after mistake. Have the grace to admit you didn't know about the origins of the term the lucky country and misused it (you do have lots of friends though who think the term means land of milk and honey) and you made a mistake with rolf but that might have been a 'typo'.
The poster is well versed in making gaffs and attempting to wriggle out of them. I wouldn't bother about it, quite frankly.