Reload this Page >

Maintenance Engineer jobs.

Maintenance Engineer jobs.

Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Pauly1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintenance Engineer jobs.

Hi there,

Am new to the site and looking at a move to Aus with my partner in the near future, as it is I am looking for positions as a Maintenance Engineer in the food, mining or manufacturing industry with qualifications:

NVQ level III Engineering Maintenance.
NVQ level II Performing Engineering Operations.
NVQ level II Performing Manufacturing Operations.
BTEC National Certificate in Operation & Maintenance Engineering (Process) – Distinction/Distinction.
Advanced Modern Apprenticeship.

This is a multi skilled apprenticeship so do not have a specific electrical/mechanical certificate and it is NOT a trade (sparky), this apprenticeship covers the whole lot, IE machine electrical (panels), Hydraulics,Pneumatics,drives,bearings,PLC's ect. I am finding it hard to find possible opportunities in this area as it is all about a trade qualification.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Paul1978
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:52 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintenance Engineer jobs.

Originally Posted by Pauly1978
Hi there,

Am new to the site and looking at a move to Aus with my partner in the near future, as it is I am looking for positions as a Maintenance Engineer in the food, mining or manufacturing industry with qualifications:

BTEC National Certificate in Operation & Maintenance Engineering (Process) – Distinction/Distinction.

This is a multi skilled apprenticeship so do not have a specific electrical/mechanical certificate and it is NOT a trade (sparky), this apprenticeship covers the whole lot, IE machine electrical (panels), Hydraulics,Pneumatics,drives,bearings,PLC's ect. I am finding it hard to find possible opportunities in this area as it is all about a trade qualification.

Paul1978
Hi Paul,

Welcome to BE.

As a rule of thumb, possibly the best site to look for what's on the job market is www.seek.com.au There is a drop-down box listing all the types of industries/sectors etc and a box for locations around the country.
It will at least give you an idea of what is around both in the public and private sectors. Have a look in the government section too as they often have positions for all types of engineers.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:04 am

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Hi Paul,

Welcome to BE.

As a rule of thumb, possibly the best site to look for what's on the job market is www.seek.com.au There is a drop-down box listing all the types of industries/sectors etc and a box for locations around the country.
It will at least give you an idea of what is around both in the public and private sectors. Have a look in the government section too as they often have positions for all types of engineers.
Hubby is a maintenance engineer as The Bloke said I'd def look at seek, you may need to either get a license or be prepared to get one depending on what job you go after, we've found there seem to be licenses and various requirements for most jobs of this sort out there.

One of the main requirements you may find is that companies won't consider you until you are living in Australia.
We have been lucky before but this time need to prepare for arrival without a job.

Hubby's not about at the moment but I know he was able to get his qualifications recognised prior to our arrival in Sydney a few years back...? he is also a member of the IET in the UK and I think he may be able to transfer that to the equivalent in Oz from what I've been told.

Each state also seems to have slightly different rules etc

There is an Expo in London I believe next weekend - with different jobs that might suit you and also migration advisors and info about visa's - I think there is a job list for it and an employer list?
Might be worth having a look?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

lovinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

This is a multi skilled apprenticeship so do not have a specific electrical/mechanical certificate and it is NOT a trade (sparky), this apprenticeship covers the whole lot, IE machine electrical (panels), Hydraulics,Pneumatics,drives,bearings,PLC's ect. I am findingeering it hard to find possible opportunities in this area as it is all about a trade qualification.

Paul1978
Hi paul. I am in catering repair, jobs here are called service tectnicans as engineering means a degree, i had elect and gas in uk but had to pick one to get in oz on visa. Then get other, mining is good pay but hard to get into. I am in Brisbabe qld and all states are diffant. My gas (corgie) was a day but has now changed i have been told, elec was about 6 months,i did not know a thing about plc's till i got heare i work for Moffat have a look at them depending on where you want to move to.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to those great people that have taken the time to read and respond to my thread, I was told that the closest skill on the list would be for a Maintenance fitter, this is part of what I currently do but being a multi skilled Maintenance Engineer, and the apprenticeship that I completed (Honda uk Mfg), it covers everything and is not skill specific, I will also check out the IET and see how that could benefit myself further in my quest for my partner and I for the move down under.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:02 pm

Thank you to those great people that have taken the time to read and respond to my thread, I was told that the closest skill on the list would be for a Maintenance fitter, this is part of what I currently do but being a multi skilled Maintenance Engineer, and the apprenticeship that I completed (Honda uk Mfg), it covers everything and is not skill specific, I will also check out the IET and see how that could benefit myself further in my quest for my partner and I for the move down under.
Its worth looking into hubbys employer in the UK currently pays for his membership.

I'd recommend going to an expo if you can as you may get more specific details of what you would need to do to get out there and in what area of work would be best
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Its worth looking into hubbys employer in the UK currently pays for his membership.

I'd recommend going to an expo if you can as you may get more specific details of what you would need to do to get out there and in what area of work would be best
Hi, Sorry to maybe sound a bit slow on the uptake, but who is hubbys employer in the uk?
Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:48 pm

Hi, Sorry to maybe sound a bit slow on the uptake, but who is hubbys employer in the uk?
Thanks again.
He works in a food manufacturing environment - would rather not post on here who it is though incase for some reason it gets back that we are leaving as he's not told them as yet as we don't have a date for completion of house sale
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jensanco
He works in a food manufacturing environment - would rather not post on here who it is though incase for some reason it gets back that we are leaving as he's not told them as yet as we don't have a date for completion of house sale
I do appreciate your situation, I have sent you a private mail to just gather some more info if that is ok with regards to some other things as I also work in the food process/packaging industry. Thank you for your time.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:40 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My training is similar to yours, I did my apprenticeship with ford motor company. What you have is most likely applicable to a special class electrician and an electrical fitter artc and licence path once you have a visa.

Given your background and the hurdles there are to cross (all very doable) I recommend you discuss your position with a migration agent I used ian Harrop who in turn engaged roger laws to assist with my application.

Look up electrical fitter and I think you will be amazed at how accurately the occupation fits your skill and experience

Good luck and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Last edited by rinkerdink; Mar 15th 2012 at 7:43 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Hi,

My training is similar to yours, I did my apprenticeship with ford motor company. What you have is most likely applicable to a special class electrician and an electrical fitter artc and licence path once you have a visa.

Given your background and the hurdles there are to cross (all very doable) I recommend you discuss your position with a migration agent I used ian Harrop who in turn engaged roger laws to assist with my application.

Look up electrical fitter and I think you will be amazed at how accurately the occupation fits your skill and experience

Good luck and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask
Hi there rinkerdink,

Cheers for the info and post, I do think that either the Maintenance fitter/electrician would be the most accurate description for my skill base, and the jobs that I would search the most for, just out of interest, what is it you do now and what industry? Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:18 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Maintenance Engineer jobs.

Hi there rinkerdink,

Cheers for the info and post, I do think that either the Maintenance fitter/electrician would be the most accurate description for my skill base, and the jobs that I would search the most for, just out of interest, what is it you do now and what industry? Thanks again.
I've been working in building services/ HVAC in general and controls installation and maintenance. Have a look at electrical fitter, basically what in the uk we call a maintenance sparks but one that not only can fault find and repair complex control panels and plant (the dark arts to most instal sparks) but also delves into the world of control hydraulics and pneumatics. In a nut shell what you have trained to do and what you have been doing since from the sound of it.

I cannot stress the benefit of speaking with a migration agent enough, for the likes of you and me who do not fit nicely into a traditional trade package their knowledge experience and knowhow regarding your options is gold. You could easily mug yourself with a lesser occupation and make getting licence that does your extremely high (I'm not laying it on thick I just know and have benefited and have seen the value of i multiskilled training) skill level justice more difficult

Last edited by rinkerdink; Mar 15th 2012 at 10:24 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:22 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

In Australia maintenance electrician may be a job title but it isn't an occupation title, a distinct and important difference particularly when considering what occupation to seek recognition for, for visa application purposes. A special class electrician is effectively what is known as a uk maintenance electrician but supposedly one that can carry out all the duties of a general electrician,
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
In Australia maintenance electrician may be a job title but it isn't an occupation title, a distinct and important difference particularly when considering what occupation to seek recognition for, for visa application purposes. A special class electrician is effectively what is known as a uk maintenance electrician but supposedly one that can carry out all the duties of a general electrician,
Thank you very much for the insight, just out of curiosity, what migration company did you use as you did mention names, as if these people helped you out then they would more than likely be the perfect ones to assist myself (if you dont mind mentioning).
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:22 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Ian harrop and associates, were very good throughout, he engaged a separate company to assist with my skill assessment, the guy had worked for trade recognition Australia for many years so new just how to present the information to do my skills and experience justice. They don't lie, bend the truth or manipulate the facts. But they know exactly how things need to be presented in order for the assessor to be able to make a decision. They will also be very forthright about your chances and the best route available for you.

There are others of course and many come highly recommended but this is my personal recommendation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.