Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maintainance Payments from UK Fathers??

Maintainance Payments from UK Fathers??

Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Question Maintainance Payments from UK Fathers??

Hi all, Just a really quick question to see if anyone has any experience of the above....we are hoping to emigrate in late 2007 (**fingers crossed**) and we will be travelling out with my partners teenage son; from a previous relationship - although his dad currently pays £30 a week while we are here in the UK; I think its highly likely he will stop even this minimal payment - he is in the Police in the UK so not in a poorly paid job at all! He never rings his Son (except at Christmas!) or helps with any big purchases/school trips. Does anyone have any experience of this situation and whether it is possible to still get some maintenance even if we are living in Australia??? Due to the absolute shambles of the Child Support Agency and our position of not wanting to "rock the boat" - we do not know who to ask? Any advice is really appreciated
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintainance Payments from UK Fathers??

I've got a lad in the UK and I pay his Mam every month and ring him every week. Its up to the individual person, other than going to court over it there is nothing you can do.
Have you asked him yet?
I don't think he'd still be liable for CSA payments so this potential saving could go in to an account for the kid, when we left I had great pleasure in telling them I was moving to NZ

Good luck
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I've got a lad in the UK and I pay his Mam every month and ring him every week. Its up to the individual person, other than going to court over it there is nothing you can do.
Have you asked him yet?
I don't think he'd still be liable for CSA payments so this potential saving could go in to an account for the kid, when we left I had great pleasure in telling them I was moving to NZ

Good luck
Thanks - hopefully Ill be allowed to adopt him sometime soon...as his Dad really doesnt give a damn....but we've now got a daughter and another on the way!! so as you know money goes nowhere....I think I need to invest in a pair of bricks!!! And give them a whack together!!! ouch! Unfortunately I was kinda expecting your answer...and as his Dad is now married to a solicitor!! (Lowest of the low!....far below real estate agents! ) he'll stop payments as soon as he can...I could never do it to my own kid!! But his dads skin is an inch thick and unfortunately doesnt care about him at all!! And hey Lucky you!! We wanted to go to Christchurch but didnt get enough points for NZ ....so have to settle for OZ!!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
And hey Lucky you!! We wanted to go to Christchurch but didnt get enough points for NZ ....so have to settle for OZ!!
If you get Oz PR you can come here to live and work anyway

Its a lovely place, but does not tick all the box's for us.

Edit to ask how you knew we were from ChCh
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you get Oz PR you can come here to live and work anyway

Its a lovely place, but does not tick all the box's for us.

Edit to ask how you knew we were from ChCh
ha ha im mystic meg!! Oh no....seriously it was where we wanted to go!! Small world though we could always do a swap I guess...currently looking at Scarborough/ Cleveland/Redland area or Cairns where my sister lives!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ha ha im mystic meg!! Oh no....seriously it was where we wanted to go!! Small world though we could always do a swap I guess...currently looking at Scarborough/ Cleveland/Redland area or Cairns where my sister lives!
We are looking at Cleveland and surrounding area too, might meet for a beer one day
Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:53 am
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are permanently resident abroad the CSA no longer has jurisdiction.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:42 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, Just a really quick question to see if anyone has any experience of the above....we are hoping to emigrate in late 2007 (**fingers crossed**) and we will be travelling out with my partners teenage son; from a previous relationship - although his dad currently pays £30 a week while we are here in the UK; I think its highly likely he will stop even this minimal payment - he is in the Police in the UK so not in a poorly paid job at all! He never rings his Son (except at Christmas!) or helps with any big purchases/school trips. Does anyone have any experience of this situation and whether it is possible to still get some maintenance even if we are living in Australia??? Due to the absolute shambles of the Child Support Agency and our position of not wanting to "rock the boat" - we do not know who to ask? Any advice is really appreciated

read this, it may be helpful
http://www.csa.gov.uk/new/contact/abroad.asp
as you scroll down, there is a bit about parents who live in aus
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:08 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys, not sure if I can help as I am in reverse situation (I'm from Oz and baby's dad is British) but last year when I registered with CSA and explained our nationalities etc the guy gave me a bit of a run-down on the international child support situation:

As ex is currently in Australia with us he is liable to pay child support. We can organise this ourselves or I could apply for it through CSA. The amount he has to pay for this financial year is based on last financial year. When we first arrived back in Oz he (obviously) did not have an Australian tax return for the previous financial year. As a result his income was recorded as $0 and he was only liable to pay me the absolute minimum (about $5 per week) even though he was actually working full-time and earning a shed-load more than me (at home with newborn, paying all the bills!)

However: had I wanted to, I was told by CSA that Australia and the UK (as well as various other countries) have reciprocal agreements regarding child support. I could have authorised CSA to chase up his actual earnings for the previous financial year in the UK and then have his payments in Oz reflect this.

I was also told that if he returned to the UK, CSA Australia would still be able to extract child support from him (including directly out his wages if he wouldn't pay it himself).

They also told me that if we BOTH returned to the UK, even though I was an Aussie I could still have child support enforced by CSA in Australia/UK so that he continued to support his daughter.

They've got info about this on both websites (I have looked on the UK site to check) and I don't see why it should not apply to your situation as well. I would suggest getting it sorted with CSA at your end though - before you leave.

Good luck sorting it out and with the move. What a barstool not having any sense of responsibility or wanting to provide for his own child. You really have to wonder about people.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:55 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

THe Aussie CSA can get his money from him cause of agreements between the UK and Australia.
http://www.csa.gov.au/guide/1_6_1.htm

Summary of the arrangements

CSA can:

make and continue a child support assessment where the payer is overseas in a reciprocating jurisdiction
accept an application for assessment from a payee or payer overseas when transmitted through the overseas Central Authority
accept an application for assessment from an overseas Central Authority applying on behalf of a payee or payer in a reciprocating jurisdiction
register and enforce an overseas maintenance assessment
register and enforce an overseas maintenance order
register and enforce an overseas 'agency reimbursement liability'
register and enforce an overseas maintenance agreement
register and enforce arrears that have accumulated under an overseas maintenance liability
transmit an application for review/variation of a liability made in an overseas country; and
assist overseas authorities with location and service requests for parents in Australia.

Last edited by copa; Dec 17th 2006 at 7:58 am.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Hi guys, not sure if I can help as I am in reverse situation (I'm from Oz and baby's dad is British) but last year when I registered with CSA and explained our nationalities etc the guy gave me a bit of a run-down on the international child support situation:

As ex is currently in Australia with us he is liable to pay child support. We can organise this ourselves or I could apply for it through CSA. The amount he has to pay for this financial year is based on last financial year. When we first arrived back in Oz he (obviously) did not have an Australian tax return for the previous financial year. As a result his income was recorded as $0 and he was only liable to pay me the absolute minimum (about $5 per week) even though he was actually working full-time and earning a shed-load more than me (at home with newborn, paying all the bills!)

However: had I wanted to, I was told by CSA that Australia and the UK (as well as various other countries) have reciprocal agreements regarding child support. I could have authorised CSA to chase up his actual earnings for the previous financial year in the UK and then have his payments in Oz reflect this.

I was also told that if he returned to the UK, CSA Australia would still be able to extract child support from him (including directly out his wages if he wouldn't pay it himself).

They also told me that if we BOTH returned to the UK, even though I was an Aussie I could still have child support enforced by CSA in Australia/UK so that he continued to support his daughter.

They've got info about this on both websites (I have looked on the UK site to check) and I don't see why it should not apply to your situation as well. I would suggest getting it sorted with CSA at your end though - before you leave.

Good luck sorting it out and with the move. What a barstool not having any sense of responsibility or wanting to provide for his own child. You really have to wonder about people.
Thanks - maybe there is light a the end of the tunnel!!! I was just thinking last year at Christmas he went to see his Dad on Christmas day ...we had to drive him there! about an hour away and then....no word of a lie he rang us the day before and asked us to send some of the presents we had for him ..as he said "Ive only got him one present and Ive got my own kids loads"..... the total cheek of some people!!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumo
Once you are permanently resident abroad the CSA no longer has jurisdiction.
I thought that but by all accounts they can get you in Oz
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:09 pm
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that but by all accounts they can get you in Oz
The UK CSA doesn't have jurisdiction abroad. So if the PWC lives in the UK and the NRP lives in Oz there is no jurisdiction. I don't know what the Oz CSA rules are.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumo
The UK CSA doesn't have jurisdiction abroad. So if the PWC lives in the UK and the NRP lives in Oz there is no jurisdiction. I don't know what the Oz CSA rules are.
your back to being cool
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

your back to being cool

OOPS!! After doing some more research....they do have a reciprical arrangement between the two Countries....however the UK side do seem completely inept! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.