Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mail re-direction but we don't have an address !

Mail re-direction but we don't have an address !

Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

cliff and kay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mail re-direction but we don't have an address !

Hi everyone;
hope somebody can point us in the right direction on this.

Landing in Melbourne 11th April and looking to have our UK post re-directed .... trouble is, until we land we're not going to have permenant place of residence for some time ( checking out best areas/schools etc)

Problem is where do we have our UK post sent to?

Does anyone know of a post office box type service in Melbourne where the post can be forwarded to and then we collect at regular intervals.

Any advice gratefully received as always.

thanx

C & K
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:39 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

We had ours (UK post) redirected to the out-laws, who then posted it to us, in Oz, in batches.

Depends on whether or not you want the MIL reading your mail!!!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:33 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if this helps or not. My parents are currently travelling around Australia in a caravan. Every now and then they get post forwarded onto the post office in the next big town they are going to stay at. Then they just go and collect it from the post office. I don't know if Australia Post has a website - but there might be something on there.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail re-direction but we don't have an address !

Originally posted by cliff and kay
Hi everyone;
hope somebody can point us in the right direction on this.

Landing in Melbourne 11th April and looking to have our UK post re-directed .... trouble is, until we land we're not going to have permenant place of residence for some time ( checking out best areas/schools etc)

Problem is where do we have our UK post sent to?

Does anyone know of a post office box type service in Melbourne where the post can be forwarded to and then we collect at regular intervals.

Any advice gratefully received as always.

thanx

C & K
we used "post restante" when travelling around. I found this aus site for post holding services , so you could try emailing them and asking specific questions.
http://www.movepost.com.au/aspfiles/manage.asp
HTH
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:55 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this tread, should answer your query: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=118290
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

What we have done in the past is put our mail on hold, then when we arrive and get an address call Royal Mail and have it redirected.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
What we have done in the past is put our mail on hold, then when we arrive and get an address call Royal Mail and have it redirected.
Exactly what I was going to suggest Vicky, I know cookies did it & it worked fine for them. They simply asked the PO where they lived in the UK to hold their mail until they contacted them with their new address & then it got redirected.

FYI & FWIW, Australia Post wont set up a post office box unless you go in with ID, but anyone can go in with ID & do it ie. someone else can rent the PO box for you, it doesnt have to be in your name.