Maiden Name

Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maiden Name

Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on the following topic but can't figure out what to do....so any advice from any ex-maidens would be appreciated:-

As my wife's passport is in her maiden name we applied for our permanent residency stating her maiden name.

Getting the visa was easy...now I guess the real 'fun' begins:

1. Medicare:- Will they accept our UK marriage cert and register wifie under married name? (I've heard Meidcare check DIMA records, which would obviously have her maiden name)

2. Bank Accounts:- Will they accept our UK marriage cert and thereby allow my wife to be added to my bank account?

3. Citizenship: When we go to trade in our PR for citizenship, will my wife's new Ozzie passport have to be under her maiden name (as her original visa was under her maiden name)?

Thanks in advance for any tips

TC

ps when you use your maiden name, in an official context, do you refer to yourself Mrs Maiden name or Miss Maiden name?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maiden Name

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on the following topic but can't figure out what to do....so any advice from any ex-maidens would be appreciated:-

As my wife's passport is in her maiden name we applied for our permanent residency stating her maiden name.

Getting the visa was easy...now I guess the real 'fun' begins:

1. Medicare:- Will they accept our UK marriage cert and register wifie under married name? (I've heard Meidcare check DIMA records, which would obviously have her maiden name)

2. Bank Accounts:- Will they accept our UK marriage cert and thereby allow my wife to be added to my bank account?

3. Citizenship: When we go to trade in our PR for citizenship, will my wife's new Ozzie passport have to be under her maiden name (as her original visa was under her maiden name)?

Thanks in advance for any tips

TC

ps when you use your maiden name, in an official context, do you refer to yourself Mrs Maiden name or Miss Maiden name?
Visa and passport were in my maiden name for a while - when I got my PR visa though I requested it in my married name and got my passport changed. Thus the visa matches the passport and the medicare card was issued in the same name (the married one)
I have a bank acocunt in my maiden name, and a joint one with The Bloke, also in my maiden name. we added me to his account before we were married. Just tell the bank which name she is known by - only gets complicated if the ID you use to open it doesn't match the name you want on the account!
No reason why (eventually) her Aussie passport can't be issued in her maiden name - many women here still use that instead of married names.

Oh - and Ms is the preferred term of address, whichever name she uses.
Hope that helps a bit
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No reason why (eventually) her Aussie passport can't be issued in her maiden name - many women here still use that instead of married names.

Oh - and Ms is the preferred term of address, whichever name she uses.
Hope that helps a bit

Thanks Pollyana,

This is a great help

TC
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

things seem to change according to state...i'm in Victoria.

I had a similar thing....got married after we had compiled all our PR docs, so I decided to wait until post citizenship to change my name.

Then I needed a passport to travel overseas (after citizenship ceremony) and all I needed was a completed form, citizenship cert, driving licence.
I showed my UK marriage cert and they rejected it completely- not issued in Vic, so not valid.
Off I went to registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, provided 10 pieces of id, paid $60 (now $85) waited 10 weeks and received a cert proving I am now Mrs P.
Passport is still Miss M as it was issued within 2 days of my application and so 9 weeks 5 days before the change of name!

I give up and will remain Ms forever.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
things seem to change according to state...i'm in Victoria.

I had a similar thing....got married after we had compiled all our PR docs, so I decided to wait until post citizenship to change my name.

Then I needed a passport to travel overseas (after citizenship ceremony) and all I needed was a completed form, citizenship cert, driving licence.
I showed my UK marriage cert and they rejected it completely- not issued in Vic, so not valid.
Off I went to registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, provided 10 pieces of id, paid $60 (now $85) waited 10 weeks and received a cert proving I am now Mrs P.
Passport is still Miss M as it was issued within 2 days of my application and so 9 weeks 5 days before the change of name!

I give up and will remain Ms forever.
Hi Pomster

So with hindsight, would you say its better to go off to registry of Births Deaths & Marriages BEFORE going for citizenship? (What 10 pieces of ID did they require?)

TC
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Pomster

So with hindsight, would you say its better to go off to registry of Births Deaths & Marriages BEFORE going for citizenship? (What 10 pieces of ID did they require?)

TC

Just found a link....this is gonna be tough:

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2...istration~#who
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just found a link....this is gonna be tough:

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2...istration~#who
Guess its like many other things, varies from State to State - I'm in Queensland