Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Madmancuian Hope this is not one of your lot?

Madmancuian Hope this is not one of your lot?

Old Jan 9th 2003, 6:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madmancuian Hope this is not one of your lot?

Bad boys from the Manchester doing a runner, one asks whats
''serious fraud'',maybe I should fill me pockets before I return to UK?

A HOTEL worker who was brutally bashed said today he felt cheated after two British men accused of the attack skipped the country after a justice department bungle.

The British pair will not be extradited from the UK because the charge of grievous bodily harm is not serious enough.

Brothers Simon Johnson, 24, and Philip Johnson, 23, of Manchester, are accused of assaulting hotel employee Paul de Souza, 28, last September.

Mr de Souza had to be evacuated from Broome, in the Kimberley region 2230km north of Perth, to Fremantle Hospital for treatment.

His injuries were so severe that surgeons used seven plates and 23 screws to repair his damaged skull. The screws and plates remain in Mr de Souza's skull.

The Johnson brothers were charged with causing grievous bodily harm and were due to face the Perth Magistrates Court next week.

But they skipped the country after a court worker mistakenly returned Simon Johnson's passport.

The Immigration Department had Philip Johnson's passport but it too was returned when he was ordered to leave Australia because he had overstayed his visa.

WA Director of Public Prosecutions Robert Cock said the Justice Department's error was extremely embarrassing.

"It's just a terrible outcome," Mr Cock told the ABC.

He said extradition of the men was out of the question.

"We've got a policy that we generally only ask the Commonwealth to seek extradition proceedings where a person, if convicted, would likely go to jail for five years or more," Mr Cock said.

"That normally confines it to serious fraud, murder, attempted murder or manslaughter."

Old Jan 9th 2003, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Madmancuian Hope this is not one of your lot?

Nope...

Sounds like a quiet night out in Picaddilly if you ask me.

MM
Old Jan 9th 2003, 6:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madmancuian Hope this is not one of your lot?

Broome is a rough town. When I was there last it was like something out of the wild west. Loads of miners on R&R and the local Black Fellers extremely restless after a series of deaths in custody. We had to be locked in our accommodation every night behind steel gates.

My wife went there a few years later and some joker spiked her drink with LSD.

I think Broome likes to portray itself as WA's version of Cairns but I wouldn't be happy to let my daughters go there when they get older.

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Bad boys from Manchester doing a runner, one asks whats
''serious fraud'',maybe I should fill me pockets before I return to UK?

A HOTEL worker who was brutally bashed said today he felt cheated after two British men accused of the attack skipped the country after a justice department bungle.

The British pair will not be extradited from the UK because the charge of grievous bodily harm is not serious enough.

Brothers Simon Johnson, 24, and Philip Johnson, 23, of Manchester, are accused of assaulting hotel employee Paul de Souza, 28, last September.

Mr de Souza had to be evacuated from Broome, in the Kimberley region 2230km north of Perth, to Fremantle Hospital for treatment.

His injuries were so severe that surgeons used seven plates and 23 screws to repair his damaged skull. The screws and plates remain in Mr de Souza's skull.

The Johnson brothers were charged with causing grievous bodily harm and were due to face the Perth Magistrates Court next week.

But they skipped the country after a court worker mistakenly returned Simon Johnson's passport.

The Immigration Department had Philip Johnson's passport but it too was returned when he was ordered to leave Australia because he had overstayed his visa.

WA Director of Public Prosecutions Robert Cock said the Justice Department's error was extremely embarrassing.

"It's just a terrible outcome," Mr Cock told the ABC.

He said extradition of the men was out of the question.

"We've got a policy that we generally only ask the Commonwealth to seek extradition proceedings where a person, if convicted, would likely go to jail for five years or more," Mr Cock said.

"That normally confines it to serious fraud, murder, attempted murder or manslaughter."