Made Redundant

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Made Redundant

Got a shock yesterday. Went into work shortly after 7am after being on holidays in the latter half of last week. The boss was already in and he immediately called me into his office and said that he had 'got to let me go' due to the lack of work for me to do. I work in the soils testing business and must admit it's been really slack lately. The firm employs around 35 people, 20 of them in Mornington. Their profit margins are really small. What worries me is that I was the only one in the business to be made redundant and the boss made me clear my desk and be off the premises pretty smartish. He has promised to pay me 3 weeks and 1 day wages as a payout and he will also do me a reference. Why do I feel I have been sacked humanely though?

We have a rented house that we pay 300 dollars a week and we also have a 250 dollar a month Medibank health insurance policy, as well as my son's school fees coming up. Because we have been here less than 2 years I don't think that Centrelink can help either. Looks like a tent on the beach soon!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made Redundant

Originally Posted by Neil S
Got a shock yesterday. Went into work shortly after 7am after being on holidays in the latter half of last week. The boss was already in and he immediately called me into his office and said that he had 'got to let me go' due to the lack of work for me to do. I work in the soils testing business and must admit it's been really slack lately. The firm employs around 35 people, 20 of them in Mornington. Their profit margins are really small. What worries me is that I was the only one in the business to be made redundant and the boss made me clear my desk and be off the premises pretty smartish. He has promised to pay me 3 weeks and 1 day wages as a payout and he will also do me a reference. Why do I feel I have been sacked humanely though?

We have a rented house that we pay 300 dollars a week and we also have a 250 dollar a month Medibank health insurance policy, as well as my son's school fees coming up. Because we have been here less than 2 years I don't think that Centrelink can help either. Looks like a tent on the beach soon!
Sorry to hear that mate, hope it works out for you all.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear that neil, did you ask why it was just you? and why you had to be out so quickly? seems a bit strange to me!

i hope something else turns up for you very soon

debbie
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really advise about the centrelink thing..sorry. Just wanted to say I hope everything works out OK for you and you find employment soon!!

Jude xx
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Thanks for all the support. As far as I know I'm the only one this time, but in the recession of the early '90s apparently he had to cut the business down to just 4 staff, so it's happened before.

It's useful to have a 'foot in the door' and already know a few people that we fairly helpful to me last time getting a job, so not getting too depressed just yet!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:23 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Neil we have two kids and we get $200 a week family assistance from centrelink and we're entitled to rent assistance as well which we haven't claimed.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:45 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear about you bro...
What bugs me is the market its really bad but the good part is you are getting paid for 3 weeks. I know someone who was kicked off rightaway.
Goodluck. wishes with you
- Bart
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

What a nightmare, I would get in touch with Centrelink as there are some things that you can claim and there may be a reduction in school fees while you aren't working.
Good luck with the job search.
Nicky
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:15 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

God that really sucks! So sorry to hear this - you must be gutted. Doesn't sound as though its very fair treatment to me I must admit.

Good luck with the future

Rach xxxx