Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Made me realise how little i have

Made me realise how little i have

Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Made me realise how little i have

I've never thought about what i own, or how much money i have before now.

The time for leaving is close and I'm counting all the things that need to be shipped. Calculating my debt and savings. All the things that need to be done before the big push.

I've come to realise that i have very little. After my debts are paid i will have used my savings. My car will pay off my credit card. I'm renting so don't have a house to sell. I'll have all the things in my 1 rented room, which i need to find the money to ship over.

Please tell me i'm not the only one going with nothing but the shirt on my back. I'm starting to panic abit now :scared:
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Made me realise how little i have

Originally Posted by leedslad

The time for leaving is close and I'm counting all the things that need to be shipped. Calculating my debt and savings. All the things that need to be done before the big push.

I've come to realise that i have very little. After my debts are paid i will have used my savings. My car will pay off my credit card. I'm renting so don't have a house to sell. I'll have all the things in my 1 rented room, which i need to find the money to ship over.

Please tell me i'm not the only one going with nothing but the shirt on my back. I'm starting to panic abit now :scared:
Hello...*S*..i moved to canada..with one suitcase..and one carry on bag...i left a small crate of ..photo albums etc..with my sister back in australia.....

do i miss anything i sold..or got rid of...NOPE!...i saw it as a time for newness....and also...i realise how much money i have wasted over the years..with *things* i bought that i thought i need...and didn't..~..i can live with very little and still be very happy....

and...even tho i am now in canada..looks like we will be making the move to Australia.....sooner than expected....(back to australia for me-first move for husband and step kids)..we will be starting as a family in australia ..just as you are...no car etc etc...we have jobs waiting for us so that helps....

..looks like i will be having a clean out again!!!!........will be good to finaly feel settled again..and wiser with how i spend my money..
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

ahh thank god! a reply

Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited by leedslad; Sep 9th 2005 at 7:24 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

ahh thank god! a reply
yes i see YOU...LOL~~~...hey i know how that feels......
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

i feel like this :scared:
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

i feel like this :scared:
heheheee..yeah..it can be a bit like that...LOL.i'll join you... :scared:
..but hey...you have a beautiful country waiting for you....and also..an adventure ahead..some only dream about...*Congrats*~~~~~~~~~
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:29 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So basically what you are saying is that everything you have now equals the total amount of debt you have. A net position of zero. In reality then surely you will be in Australia with zero as well. As far as I can see no worse off if you look at it that way, or you could even say better off since you are debt free!

Money and material objects will not make the panic and frightening prospect of leaving everything you've known and the comfortable familarity of the UK go away. Its something I have personally felt since the times got closer to moving but I take stock of what I have and realise that its simply the nerves of one of the biggest journey one can really make in life.

Best of luck to you in your adventure. Not everyone gets a new start
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

the-travelling-wilburys is on a distinguished road

Hi,Iwould not worry too much at least you are not in debt and you are starting on level terms.The main concern is getting a job to support your self when you get there.It will probably be difficult at first,but should get better the longer you are there.Best wishes Mr.W.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you are going without the general ties of kids, family etc. If so then you are free to live where you want and go where the work is.

I have a wife and 3 kids, so its areas with shcools, housing and all that usual stuff first, fun and games second.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone! Thank god for this forum.

No i don't have any kids or wife.

As for a job. I work as a 3d visualiser for architects so the only real way to get work will be to start my own company.

I'm starting to calm down a bit now and i'm sure i'll be ok when i get on Ozzy soil.

Thanks for the support guys
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

As for a job. I work as a 3d visualiser for architects so the only real way to get work will be to start my own company.

I'm starting to calm down a bit now and i'm sure i'll be ok when i get on Ozzy soil.

So its a permanent backpacking holiday then? Lucky you. Where are you planning to locate in OZ?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:13 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

we only had about $5k cash plus an empty credit card when we got here... we have done ok and are just about to move into our first aussie house of our own.

You do need SOME money though as you will need a bond for a place to rent, basics such as a fridge/ bed etc.......

Having paid up your debts can you save up say $5k or so from not having the payments anymore before you come out here....

We are from leeds too by the way

Jonboy
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, you got something worth more than money...............a good sense of humour.

I laugh every time I see your smiling donkey
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Made me realise how little i have

No worries! What a wonderful fresh new start you will make! Which part of Oz are you heading for, and what age group are you? I am hoping to go soon, am 62, still working, going on my own, and I am getting rid of virtually everything! Just personal items,things my boys have given me over the years, photos, cd's, dvd's,books, few fave pictures, which I will take out of frames and put in cardboard tubes, and basic newish clothes. Now and then I look at kitchen things and such like,which I have had for donkeys years and think to myself do I really want to take that. The answer is NO! I live in a Victorian house, and have hoarded things over the years. I recently sold a load of stuff on ebay, and yesterday took 5 bin liners full of things, which are not good enough to sell,to a charity shop, and what a wonderful liberating feeling that was. I will not have enough money to buy, so will rent somewhere modern, and be minimalistic, as I intend to forget the way of life I lived here, homewise, and start AFRESH! Start looking at Google AU for ideas for your job, and hobbies. Also I have found out about my type of job ( caring for adults with learning difficulties) and my main hobby (amateur theatre, performing and singing) through THIS website which is absolutely BRILLIANT
Best of luck matey! Keep us posted as to how you are going. Suzanne

Last edited by suzannepatricia; Sep 10th 2005 at 9:36 am.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:59 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day money and material things might make life easier but they dont make you happy!!

Good Luck really hope everything works out for you

Keep us all posted in your new life!

Kris xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.