Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mad hubby and TRA

Wikiposts

Mad hubby and TRA

Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mad hubby and TRA

Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with a husband who thinks he knows better than our agent ?

Four months ago our agent gave us a detailed list of what was needed for hubby to be assessed as a bricklayer including employer statements from the 3 million ex employers.

I typed up an example for him to give them all and sent him on his merry way. 4 months on and I have four references which all say .....worked for me as a bricklayer and I would recommend him.

Seriously - that is ALL they say. One line and a signature. When I explained to hubby that it needs to be a tad more detailed than that, he informed me that the 'agent had no idea what he was talking about and of course that was all the TRA need'.

Help me !!! I want to kill him but, if I did, I'd have no chance of ever getting to OZ
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:03 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Mad hubby and TRA

Originally Posted by ohippy
Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with a husband who thinks he knows better than our agent ?

Four months ago our agent gave us a detailed list of what was needed for hubby to be assessed as a bricklayer including employer statements from the 3 million ex employers.

I typed up an example for him to give them all and sent him on his merry way. 4 months on and I have four references which all say .....worked for me as a bricklayer and I would recommend him.

Seriously - that is ALL they say. One line and a signature. When I explained to hubby that it needs to be a tad more detailed than that, he informed me that the 'agent had no idea what he was talking about and of course that was all the TRA need'.

Help me !!! I want to kill him but, if I did, I'd have no chance of ever getting to OZ
Tell him unfortunately they have to state exactly what it was he did as a builder and how he did it (tools etc what he used)what hes qualified to do and for how long he was in their employ dates from/ to...Wont be good enough to purely state they recommend him Im afraid...

Good Luck Pep
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God!!!! Is he in for a surprise!!!!!???? I do not envy you!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

OH dear sounds like your hubby needs a donk on the head lol

But seriously the references have to state the dates he worked for them what jobs he actually did showing what tools, machinery ,equipment and materials used.
It also has to say what his duties were and that he worked for them as a bricklayer.

If he is adament about sending what he has recieved then im sorry but there is no way will he pass

good luck sounds like you need it

Debs

ps sending some karma your way
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:16 am
Professional Princess

I had a similar problem and it was only showing hubby the people that had failed on this forum, he really got scared and slowly, oh so slowly realised that it wasnt the agents requirements, it was what the TRA wanted.

And yes, its detailed, seems silly but at the end of the day, he has to prove he can do the job as good as an Aussie.

And also at the end of the day, we know how much our dear husbands like to prove themselves above other males.

So now I have been typing it up with hubby next to me and making it idiot proof.

Explain to him that the agent knows his job, but the TRA are entitled to ask for whatever they see fit and its your job to provide it.

Even if you have to buy or get books on line about his profession, type it up and lay it out, then so be it.

Gather all the info and type it in a basic template and then get him to say to what extent his input was.

Slowly rope him in. Get a tape recorder and record him (unaware) and type it up afterwards.

Set it out perfectly, get your agent to approve it and then YOU make sure it gets to his employers and all they have to do is sign it, providing its the truth.

You will find that men often underestimate their careers. My hubby left out so much and it was with probing (more like a cattle prod up his arse), that he would let slip 'Oh yes, I can do that' that I found out just how qualified he was in his area.

With each little thing you manage to coax out of your husband, bolster him up and that will encourage him to divulge more.

Do it in short sharp bursts so he doesnt lose his attention span.

This sounds very childlike, but you are trying to get someone to divulge what he really knows and not what he thinks he knows.

And it will work I promise.

Good luck

Samantha

Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear ...... I hope you can persuade him that he needs far more than that. I'm sure he knows how to hold a trowel and mix cement but the TRA don't know that do they?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Get a new husband
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Get a new husband

ROFL!!!!! brilliant !!

have sent karma for that one!!!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Doritos is on a distinguished road

Get a new husband
LOL

To tag onto 'Ohippy's' questions, how much does it matter if employers references are duplicated, or merely tweeked slightly. If as suggested by several forum members, we do the work and let them cut n paste into a letterheaded document, wouldn't this be obvious to those at TRA? I wondered what results others have had by doing this?

Cheers,
Doritos.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Get a new husband
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:06 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Write the references out for the past employers. Use different words, phrases,layout and even different fonts.. Show the employers a copy for approval then get a headed piece of paper from them , type it out and take it back for them to sign. We did this and passed. We didn't tell any lies or anything but you just have to tell the TRA the right things.. the things they want to hear....
CORKER
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:12 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound dumb here but do you have to have a full reference for every single job that you have ever done, even if its not actualy what you are going out on?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:33 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by redlion
Sorry to sound dumb here but do you have to have a full reference for every single job that you have ever done, even if its not actualy what you are going out on?
More is better...send as much info as possible
CORKER
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CORKER
Write the references out for the past employers. Use different words, phrases,layout and even different fonts.. Show the employers a copy for approval then get a headed piece of paper from them , type it out and take it back for them to sign. We did this and passed. We didn't tell any lies or anything but you just have to tell the TRA the right things.. the things they want to hear....
CORKER
Thanks Corker. That's the precise, to the point, advice we needed. Will do as you suggested. Past employers are happy to give us any help we want, but we wanted to be sure the info wasn't scant.

Cheers again,
Doritos.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Blimey ... no reply for nearly an hour. Sorry if I killed your thread Ohippy. Will vanish abruptly. But writing this to hope thread stays active for you being as I have similar problem. Though my fella's excuse is dyslexia, hence I do the work, any mess ups my problem! Go figure ..

Doritos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.