Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MacRob Girls High School...

MacRob Girls High School...

Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default MacRob Girls High School...

Just got a letter saying my daughter has been selected to attend MacRob. We're very happy and relieved that we've found a good secondary school for my daughter. That's one [very important] thing less to fret about when we get there.

I was initially planning to rent in Glen Waverley, but this would entail a commute time of 1.5 hours (train to Flinders and a tram to Kingsway). My sis now recommends we rent in South Yarra as it would be more convenient for her (no problem for me as I don't have to travel to work).

I would be grateful if you could tell me (a) Which primary schools would you recommend for my youngest child in this suburb (Year 2) and (b) what is it like living in the CBD (just for a year or so) for myself and my 2 young children?

Ta

Last edited by IndieG; Aug 5th 2009 at 3:16 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MacRob Girls High School...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?clien...image&resnum=1

Have a search for Botanical gardens (this is between the school and South Yarra).

You will enjoy days in the childrens garden (especially in the summer when the kids cool off in the water).

You can also try looking at Apartments on St Kilda Road. There are a few primary schools just around the corner on Punt Road. Christchurch is private but fees are alot lighter than others. I think the other one is South Yarra Primary (state).

You could also look in the city for apartments and come down from there on the tram?

Also look at South Melbourne - follow the kingsway into the city and see Clarendon street and Moray street running pararelle to the right. You would not come via the Kingsway too school but down Clarendon street and across albert park.

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Aug 5th 2009 at 8:55 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
Just got a letter saying my daughter has been selected to attend MacRob. We're very happy and relieved that we've found a good secondary school for my daughter. That's one [very important] thing less to fret about when we get there.

I was initially planning to rent in Glen Waverley, but this would entail a commute time of 1.5 hours (train to Flinders and a tram to Kingsway). My sis now recommends we rent in South Yarra as it would be more convenient for her (no problem for me as I don't have to travel to work).

I would be grateful if you could tell me (a) Which primary schools would you recommend for my youngest child in this suburb (Year 2) and (b) what is it like living in the CBD (just for a year or so) for myself and my 2 young children?

Ta
Congrats on getting your DD into MacRob - my own daughter is in Year 10 there.

Re the commute - I am surprised you say 1.5 hours from Glen Waverley. I would have thought it closer to 1 hour. Girls come from all over Melb to MacRob so many have much longer commutes eg I know girls come from the Mornington peninsula and even the country. When they start school they are linked up to a "transport buddy" who travels in the same way. My daughter now has about 6 or so (inc some boys from Melb High) - they all travel in/out together.

You will also find most girls do not get the tram down St Kilda Rd - they walk from Flinders St station as it is near on impossible to get on a tram in the morning. Takes about 10 mins.

I work in Sth Melb and it is a very nice part of town. Can't help with primary schools sorry. Certainly child friendly - villagey feel.

I know DD has a friend who lives in the Docklands - another place to consider - very swanky apartment at bottom of CBD.

HTH
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

Have a search for Botanical gardens (this is between the school and South Yarra).

You will enjoy days in the childrens garden (especially in the summer when the kids cool off in the water).

You can also try looking at Apartments on St Kilda Road. There are a few primary schools just around the corner on Punt Road. Christchurch is private but fees are alot lighter than others. I think the other one is South Yarra Primary (state).

You could also look in the city for apartments and come down from there on the tram?

Also look at South Melbourne - follow the kingsway into the city and see Clarendon street and Moray street running pararelle to the right. You would not come via the Kingsway too school but down Clarendon street and across albert park.
Thanks GG! I have written to Christchurch Grammar. Their fees are around $16k a year. Can't find any info on South Yarra primary - they don't have a webiste

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Congrats on getting your DD into MacRob - my own daughter is in Year 10 there.

Re the commute - I am surprised you say 1.5 hours from Glen Waverley. I would have thought it closer to 1 hour. Girls come from all over Melb to MacRob so many have much longer commutes eg I know girls come from the Mornington peninsula and even the country. When they start school they are linked up to a "transport buddy" who travels in the same way. My daughter now has about 6 or so (inc some boys from Melb High) - they all travel in/out together.

You will also find most girls do not get the tram down St Kilda Rd - they walk from Flinders St station as it is near on impossible to get on a tram in the morning. Takes about 10 mins.

I work in Sth Melb and it is a very nice part of town. Can't help with primary schools sorry. Certainly child friendly - villagey feel.

I know DD has a friend who lives in the Docklands - another place to consider - very swanky apartment at bottom of CBD.

HTH
Thanks OzSheila! Yeah, GW would have been ideal in many respects but commuting time (door to door) is a pain. Oops, problems with getting on a tram from Flinders never occurred to me....guess it's back to the drawing board and realestate.com Daughter has never used public transport before so she would definitely a transport buddy for the first couple of weeks. Is MacRob only a 10 min walk from Flinders?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Daughter has never used public transport before so she would definitely a transport buddy for the first couple of weeks.
She won't be the only one. My DD had never been into the City by herself until she started at MacRob. Now, 18 months later, she knows her way around better than me

Is MacRob only a 10 min walk from Flinders?
Well it would be a brisk 10 mins (and a pleasant one I have to say) but according to DD it is just as fast(slow) as the tram.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Geelong Gent,
I have also been looking at Malvern and I understand you live in the area. Are the primary schools (Malvern Central Primary and Malvern Primary) good? Also is travelling by tram to MacRob an option/doable?

There are a couple of houses in the range of 500-600pw. Do you think we stand a chance with the agents if we wish to finalise a rental quickly (no credit history, so could perhaps offer a year's rent in advance ?)

Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:43 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geelong Gent,
I have also been looking at Malvern and I understand you live in the area. Are the primary schools (Malvern Central Primary and Malvern Primary) good? Also is travelling by tram to MacRob an option/doable?

There are a couple of houses in the range of 500-600pw. Do you think we stand a chance with the agents if we wish to finalise a rental quickly (no credit history, so could perhaps offer a year's rent in advance ?)

Thanks for all your help!
Depends what your after in relation the schools. We looked at both (state) and resolved to stay in private. Both have good records of achievement but considering the mix of boys/girls and attitude of parents (drop and forget attitude ie consider school childcare rather than educational experience).

At our daughters school some parents have recently arrived having pulled their kids out of "Central" - something to do with bullying.

If we had the choice I would say Malvern primary is worth a visit - the principal and vice principal were highly motivated and although the school facilities were "tired" they were clean, tidy and adequate for a good education.

I would ask more from the other poster on MacRob especially if they have girls already there. We have heard good things. Traming from Malvern is very easy and no hassle. Probably would be best to train to South Yarra and tram up or Flinders and walk down (sorry did not think trams would be so busy coming down from station - as we live at the end of about 3 lines we always get a seat).

You can only really consider rentals in the week you are looking - based on our experience and view of local rental market I would relax until you arrive - feel free to contact us closer to the time if you need assistance in that area (would not be too concerned or stressed as between $500 and $600 will be enough choice to satisfy). ie pop over for a cuppa and drive around different areas for inside info.

No need to offer rental in advance (its actually illegal for agents/owners to ask for it). Bank statements will be fine. Believe it or not they have alot of expats arrive with loads of dosh but no references - bit hard when you have lived in your own house for years.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:30 am
Has left the building

Depends what your after in relation the schools. We looked at both (state) and resolved to stay in private. Both have good records of achievement but considering the mix of boys/girls and attitude of parents (drop and forget attitude ie consider school childcare rather than educational experience).

At our daughters school some parents have recently arrived having pulled their kids out of "Central" - something to do with bullying.

If we had the choice I would say Malvern primary is worth a visit - the principal and vice principal were highly motivated and although the school facilities were "tired" they were clean, tidy and adequate for a good education.

I would ask more from the other poster on MacRob especially if they have girls already there. We have heard good things. Traming from Malvern is very easy and no hassle. Probably would be best to train to South Yarra and tram up or Flinders and walk down (sorry did not think trams would be so busy coming down from station - as we live at the end of about 3 lines we always get a seat).

You can only really consider rentals in the week you are looking - based on our experience and view of local rental market I would relax until you arrive - feel free to contact us closer to the time if you need assistance in that area (would not be too concerned or stressed as between $500 and $600 will be enough choice to satisfy). ie pop over for a cuppa and drive around different areas for inside info.

No need to offer rental in advance (its actually illegal for agents/owners to ask for it). Bank statements will be fine. Believe it or not they have alot of expats arrive with loads of dosh but no references - bit hard when you have lived in your own house for years.
Depending on where in Malvern you're looking to rent, you have a tram that runs on Wattletree Road and one that runs on High St and another on Malvern Rd which all stop at the Domain Interchange off St Kilda Rd. This is where your daughter will get off to go to MacRob. During off peak times, it takes 30 m from the cnr of Wattletree Rd and Glenferrie Rd to the Domain Interchange. Sch is about 5 m walk from the Interchange in the direction of Albert Park. The trams will be busy during school hours as they also feed Melbourne Boys Grammer and Wesley and school children have to give up their seats to full fare paying passengers, not that this always happens.

Mrs B
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much GG/Mrs B! This is really helpful. Sis-in-law is strongly recommending Malvern (as they lived on Ewart street for many years and nephew attended Malvern Primary).

I hope we don't have a problem finding a nice rental once we get there (arrive next weekend 15/8). Will be in touch and join you for a cuppa soon

Last edited by IndieG; Aug 7th 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:40 am
Has left the building

Thanks so much GG/Mrs B! This is really helpful. Sis-in-law is strongly recommending Malvern (as they lived on Ewart street for many years and nephew attended Malvern Primary).
Small world we are only 600 metres from Ewart
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:36 am
Has left the building

Thanks GG! I have written to Christchurch Grammar. Their fees are around $16k a year. Can't find any info on South Yarra primary - they don't have a webiste
Here's a list of Primary schools (state & private)in the City of Stonnington:
http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/ww...ry-schools.asp

Have heard good things about Armadale Primary too. If you stay in South Yarra, there's also Melbourne Girls Grammer and Wesley that your Yr 2 child can go to. Both are however private.

Personally not a fan of South Yarra unless you live Fawkner Park/Bot Gdns side as Toorak Rd (got tram) is so congested and it's a real pain for food shopping. Prahran Mkt and Safeways are off Chapel St but closer to Windsor .

What about looking around Albert Park to rent? However not sure of primary schools in the area.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I think we'll stick to the suburbs nearby - Malvern (first choice) or Hawthorn East as travelling to MacRob isn't bad at all (whereas South Yarra might be a pain to get to MacRob as won't be driving for quite a while).... So far Malvern appears to be very convenient for both kids. How's the shopping and stuff like access to doctors out there?

Ta
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:14 pm
Has left the building

I think we'll stick to the suburbs nearby - Malvern (first choice) or Hawthorn East as travelling to MacRob isn't bad at all (whereas South Yarra might be a pain to get to MacRob as won't be driving for quite a while).... So far Malvern appears to be very convenient for both kids. How's the shopping and stuff like access to doctors out there?

Ta
Malvern has 2 supermkts; Coles on Glenferrie Rd and Safeways (in Malvern Central, smallish shopping centre). There are delis, bakeries, cake shops, cafes, butchers, fruit and veg shops on Glenferrie Rd. Good doctors (& dentists) about the area with Cabrini Hospital (private) on Wattletree Rd. Without a car, might I suggest you look in the area within Kooyong Rd, Tooronga Rd, High St and Dandenong Rd (aka Princes Hwy).

Don't rule South Yarra out as it is very near to get to MacRob; use tram on Toorak Road which also goes to the Domain Interchange. You could even walk depending on where you live in South Yarra. Plus primary school wise it isn't too bad either. And it has the other amenities ie supermkts, mkt, deli, doctors, etc., that you're looking for and access is fine without a car. Its just not my cup of tea.

However I can't say the same about Hawthorn East though as the tram routes aren't as extensive so for you it'll be harder to get about without a car.