Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mackay, Queensland!

Mackay, Queensland!

Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:59 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mackay, Queensland!

Originally Posted by LINZI
Its ok i will keep them a secret
There certainly are worse places. I hope I didn't give too much of a negative impression. Any advice on where is fun to go? Trekking, beaches, nature stuff?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
There certainly are worse places. I hope I didn't give too much of a negative impression. Any advice on where is fun to go? Trekking, beaches, nature stuff?
No it was not you in the past on here its gotten a abit of a bashing for very mmm selective incidents that where really silly really but i will pm you some stuff later on for you to do while there :sunglasses:
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:28 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

No it was not you in the past on here its gotten a abit of a bashing for very mmm selective incidents that where really silly really but i will pm you some stuff later on for you to do while there :sunglasses:
Great stuff.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:01 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I do not like to write to much on here about Mackay as there is always someone that comes along and says its a shit hole so i prefer to send information in private now
Its sad that BE ends up like this.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:45 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow a mixed review, i think maybe a visit there might be the best option to see for ourselves but will keep on digging for more info, thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

26871 is an unknown quantity at this point

LINZI, I´m going to Mackay in 14 days time, and actually I´m quite excited about it. Have been there for three days last year to check it out, but haven´t by far seen all of it. So could you please share some info with me, too?

Thank you!
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:47 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Mackay for 4 years if you want any info drop me a message
Thanks have private messaged you.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:48 pm

We drove round a bit yesterday and Slade Point looked reasonably nice. Had drinks and nibbles with some locals as well getting the low down on the place. They were all in mining so bussed in and out to an underground mine somewhere near by. All on $150k for 2 weeks on/off. There are alot of Brits, Kiwis and apparently some Germans working here. Everything seems stretched - there isn't enough housing so rents are very high. One of the guys we met reported that two years ago he was getting $250 per week for a 3 bed house he owns and now $750. The local papers are full of worker and accommodation shortages. Everything is more expensive than Cairns or Townsville so don't look at the cost of living in regional Qld - Mackay is higher across the board.

Because of the mining/industrial nature of the place I wouldn't expect fantastic conversation. Last night was fine and it was great to meet people but everyone had staff bulls, loads of tats, plenty to say about race issues and so on. Each to their own of course but if it was the UK I'd be a bit scared about getting beaten up!!

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Nov 20th 2011 at 8:51 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Been in Mackay over 2 years now and love it!
Turban be careful what you wish for...complaining about Mackay being dry looking is not a good idea...just wait a few more week mate..

And who called Franny a Geordie....he's Scottish!!

HKA
x
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
And who called Franny a Geordie....he's Scottish!!

Well, they all speak with a funny accent don't they?

Joking aside I did know.
I was trying to invoke a response from him.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
Well, they all speak with a funny accent don't they?

Joking aside I did know.
I was trying to invoke a response from him.
Yeah, inbred Scottish, uncultured, types like Frannie!

Nibble, Nibble....do you think he'll bite? Too busy enjoying Perth!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Yeah, inbred Scottish, uncultured, types like Frannie!

Nibble, Nibble....do you think he'll bite? Too busy enjoying Perth!
We must be way overdue for a little disaster.
Hope he's doin well over there.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

He is doing well. Enjoying life without stingers and humidity.
They got their permanency.
I think the wife is much happier there.
HKA
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

jojosmile is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Mackay for 4 years if you want any info drop me a message
Please Linzi could you PM me with info, Im interested in schools primary and high school, healthcare and general life style. Is it worth making the move from the UK ?
Have you had any major concerns re weather since you have been out there
thanks

any one else can offer advise please post or pm thanks

Last edited by jojosmile; Dec 11th 2011 at 6:45 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jojosmile
Please Linzi could you PM me with info, Im interested in schools primary and high school, healthcare and general life style. Is it worth making the move from the UK ?
Have you had any major concerns re weather since you have been out there
thanks

any one else can offer advise please post or pm thanks
Weatherwise it's pleasant from April to October and then very humid from December to March with alot of rain and the odd cyclone. It's definitely a working town - not alot of glamour here. It's also expensive as it's quite 'full' - houses coming up for rent have 20 applicants etc Health care -been good so far - new hospital - went to casualty and was seen in about 10 minutes.

Lifestyle wise there are nice beaches nearby, national parks, islands to visit.....I'd heard some bad stuff about Mackay before we came here (we used to live in Cairns) but whilst it's by no means one of my preferred locations in Oz it's quite friendly and is a town doing well - which is rare in Queensland.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Dec 11th 2011 at 7:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.