Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mackay Floods - Effect on Economy?

Mackay Floods - Effect on Economy?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mackay Floods - Effect on Economy?

Given that many experts attribute much of Queensland's current economic growth to the booming mining industry, how much of an effect do you think the terrible situation up there at present will have on our economy?

PS Good luck and best wishes to those living up there during these terribly difficult times.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mackay Floods - Effect on Economy?

Originally Posted by tictac
Given that many experts attribute much of Queensland's current economic growth to the booming mining industry, how much of an effect do you think the terrible situation up there at present will have on our economy?

PS Good luck and best wishes to those living up there during these terribly difficult times.
It won't be good for the economy but this is a rich country and things should bounce back quickly.
A couple of guys who work here are from Mackay - they've gone back early to be with their families. I hope everything works out well for them and everyone else in Mackay.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It won't be good for the economy but this is a rich country and things should bounce back quickly.
A couple of guys who work here are from Mackay - they've gone back early to be with their families. I hope everything works out well for them and everyone else in Mackay.
We are moving to Mackay sometime this year. It was planned for April 2008 but the Visas aint here yet and we have not sold our house yet!
Can anyone tell us how bad it is in the suburbs of Mackay?
I think I will try and buy a house on top of a hill!!
HKA
x
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
We are moving to Mackay sometime this year. It was planned for April 2008 but the Visas aint here yet and we have not sold our house yet!
Can anyone tell us how bad it is in the suburbs of Mackay?
I think I will try and buy a house on top of a hill!!
HKA
x
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...9-1248,00.html

will give you a start.
Not sure how my boss has become Kevin instead of Frank - standards have slipped while I've been away

and

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...0-1248,00.html

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 15th 2008 at 8:54 am.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

What about buying boat, at least if it floods you wil float with all mod cons?

Now seriously, I have friends up there and it has been tough.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...9-1248,00.html

will give you a start.
Not sure how my boss has become Kevin instead of Frank - standards have slipped while I've been away

and

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...0-1248,00.html
Polly

Is this the guy who was on the news tonight - the English one?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Polly

Is this the guy who was on the news tonight - the English one?
Didn't see the news as I'm in the UK at present, but if it was a tall thin guy with a very BBC English accent, no thats not Mr Pagano, it'd be Mike Shapland, Director of Disaster Operations - excellent guy, very good at his job, and great to work under. Mr Pagano (the one the Courier has renamed Kevin!) is his boss.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:08 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aussiedude
What about buying boat, at least if it floods you wil float with all mod cons?

Now seriously, I have friends up there and it has been tough.
My son got up and found water lapping at his 4th step. He is in high set thankgoodness. He gets around in his dingy.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:13 am
Home and Happy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/2164325.htm
Attached Thumbnails Mackay Floods - Effect on Economy?-mackay-15-feb-08.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Excellent pics of the earlier floods in western Queensland here -

http://www.abc.net.au/westqld/stories/s2142517.htm
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:00 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Excellent pics of the earlier floods in western Queensland here -

http://www.abc.net.au/westqld/stories/s2142517.htm
The elders website is really good, especially the radar pictures