Reload this Page >

Mackay Area - Information Please

Mackay Area - Information Please

Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Dave_Asher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mackay Area - Information Please

Hi all,

Does anyone live, have lived, driven through the Mackay area, if so could you please let me know what it is like. This maybe my only option of getting to OZ.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mackay Area - Information Please

Originally Posted by Dave_Asher
Hi all,

Does anyone live, have lived, driven through the Mackay area, if so could you please let me know what it is like. This maybe my only option of getting to OZ.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dave
Hi we spent a couple of days in Maackay and it was lovely. Well set out and spacious surburbs, close to beaches, shopping facilities were good and petrol really cheap. Yep, we were nicely impressed!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

We are about to emigrate to Mackay - leaving on 28th November. There are a few folk on the forum who have more info - if you do a search under Mackay the threads should come up. You can check out the city at http://www.skyepics.com.au/pages/pag...ch_text=mackay .

Stella
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi we spent a couple of days in Maackay and it was lovely. Well set out and spacious surburbs, close to beaches, shopping facilities were good and petrol really cheap. Yep, we were nicely impressed!
Thanks for that just hope it goes in our favour.

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Hi Dave,

We are about to emigrate to Mackay - leaving on 28th November. There are a few folk on the forum who have more info - if you do a search under Mackay the threads should come up. You can check out the city at http://www.skyepics.com.au/pages/pag...ch_text=mackay .

Stella
Stella,

Many thanks have checked out the phots and it does look good, may I ask why you picked Mackay and what part of Mackay are you hoping to settle in.

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

I have friends in Mackay, they love it and say there are plenty of jobs etc They are trying to convince us but for now we are sticking with Brisbane although we may change our minds.

Good Luck
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

My partner has been offered a job in Mackay, with the same company he works for in the UK. We thoroughly researched the area ourselves (albeit from the UK!) and we feel that we can afford to buy a nice house, near or on the beach, feel safe walking down the street (which we don't, here in London), and live a quieter life with at least slightly less stress!!!

The cost of living also seems cheaper in Mackay than in Brissy, and definately than in Sydney. It has jet star and qantas and virgin blue servicing flights (from $100 one way to Sydney). There are a number of shopping centres, and it lies in the Whitsundays, at the base of the Great Barrier Reef. The area itself has about 80,000 population, and it is a growth area, so investment in land/property will only reap rewards.

What we know we won't find there (and what we don't want) is a metropolis of people and a roaring night life. We have been there/done that in London, and are seeking something different....

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Mackay Area - Information Please

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Hi Dave,

My partner has been offered a job in Mackay, with the same company he works for in the UK. We thoroughly researched the area ourselves (albeit from the UK!) and we feel that we can afford to buy a nice house, near or on the beach, feel safe walking down the street (which we don't, here in London), and live a quieter life with at least slightly less stress!!!

The cost of living also seems cheaper in Mackay than in Brissy, and definately than in Sydney. It has jet star and qantas and virgin blue servicing flights (from $100 one way to Sydney). There are a number of shopping centres, and it lies in the Whitsundays, at the base of the Great Barrier Reef. The area itself has about 80,000 population, and it is a growth area, so investment in land/property will only reap rewards.

What we know we won't find there (and what we don't want) is a metropolis of people and a roaring night life. We have been there/done that in London, and are seeking something different....

Hope this helps!
Stella,

Thanks, the more I find out about the place the more I am falling in love with it ( bad move as it could all go wrong). Am presently in the Royal Marines looking after computers etc, my time sadly is up next March, have applied to transfer to the Australian Army but if that does not come off then have to go to Plan "B".

Will be going out there when I come outside next March for a 4 week look around and see what is on offer whilst the paperwork is going ahead. At the moment I would except any type of job (good thing about being in the forces - you can adapt to most situations and have been working with Civil Servants for the past 9 years so have adapted to the non military life).

So if any one out their can offer an ex Royal a job in this area please give me a shout (don't know if I can say that but what the heck ).

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

Dave