Macedon Ranges

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:34 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Macedon Ranges

Hi

Would be grateful for some views/comments on Macedon Ranges area(Woodend/Blackwood/Gisborne.....).

Thanks

D D
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:19 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Macedon Ranges

A tentative 'bump'

D D
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
A tentative 'bump'

D D
I thought I knew Aussie geography fairly well, but I've never heard of this area. Is it somewhere in Victoria DD?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I thought I knew Aussie geography fairly well, but I've never heard of this area. Is it somewhere in Victoria DD?

Macedon Ranges are approx 40 miles north west of Melbourne CBD and extend over a large area. There is Mt Macedon itself with a township of the same name, a few miles away is the township of Macedon; to the north west is Woodend which is about 5 to 10 miles further on and before you get to the Ranges is the township of Gisborne. All of these places are less than an hour from Melbourne - either by the Calder Fwy (Bendigo Rd) or Western Hwy to Melton and up to Gisborne. I know the area very well because we owned land at Mt Macedon (which we subsequently sold).

Blackwood is further to the west and is on the road to Trentham which eventually goes to Daylesford. It is a bit further away from Melbourne and closer to 75 mins. It is a very small town whereas Gisborne and Woodend are much larger and expanding. The rail line to Melbourne (and Bendigo) runs through Woodend/Macedon so it is common for people to park their car at the station and travel into the city.

It is a lovely area scenically and I would recommend it if you want a semi-rural existence, not too far from the bright lights. It must be said it is bushfire prone though (we have friends who lost everything during the early 80's bushfires - only thing left was their tennis court).

Fire away if you want more specific information and also try:

www.macedon-ranges.vic.gov.au/
www.macedonranges.org.au
www.macedonandspa.com/quicksite/

Oh and I can thoroughly recommend the artist Peter Gerasimon's website because he paints a lot in Gisborne and Macedon Ranges because his studio is at Gisborne (lots of other great stuff too of Melbourne, Sydney, trams etc - take time to look at each gallery; Gallery 4 if you haven't time):

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~pg/

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Feb 16th 2005 at 1:00 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:21 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Macedon Ranges are approx 40 miles north west of Melbourne CBD and extend over a large area. There is Mt Macedon itself with a township of the same name, a few miles away is the township of Macedon; to the north west is Woodend which is about 5 to 10 miles further on and before you get to the Ranges is the township of Gisborne. All of these places are less than an hour from Melbourne - either by the Calder Fwy (Bendigo Rd) or Western Hwy to Melton and up to Gisborne. I know the area very well because we owned land at Mt Macedon (which we subsequently sold).

Blackwood is further to the west and is on the road to Trentham which eventually goes to Daylesford. It is a bit further away from Melbourne and closer to 75 mins. It is a very small town whereas Gisborne and Woodend are much larger and expanding. The rail line to Melbourne (and Bendigo) runs through Woodend/Macedon so it is common for people to park their car at the station and travel into the city.

It is a lovely area scenically and I would recommend it if you want a semi-rural existence, not too far from the bright lights. It must be said it is bushfire prone though (we have friends who lost everything during the early 80's bushfires - only thing left was their tennis court).

Fire away if you want more specific information and also try:

www.macedon-ranges.vic.gov.au/
www.macedonranges.org.au
www.macedonandspa.com/quicksite/

Oh and I can thoroughly recommend the artist Peter Gerasimon's website because he paints a lot in Gisborne and Macedon Ranges because his studio is at Gisborne (lots of other great stuff too of Melbourne, Sydney, trams etc - take time to look at each gallery; Gallery 4 if you haven't time):

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~pg/

OzTennis
Hey there OzTennis,

Thank you so much for the info. TBH, I'd given up on anyone responding to my thread.

Love the paintings, especially "The Macedon Ranges" and "Bush House Study".

Bit worrying about the bush fires though, seems to be the same in the Yarra Ranges as well.

Off now to wander the websites........

Thanks again

D D
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there OzTennis,

Thank you so much for the info. TBH, I'd given up on anyone responding to my thread.

Bit worrying about the bush fires though, seems to be the same in the Yarra Ranges as well.

Thanks again

D D
'No worries' D D, glad to be of assistance. Bushfires are something to bear in mind when living in the bush but I don't think it should sway your choice of where to live. We only sold our block on Mt Macedon because we moved to Bendigo.

Close to Woodend is Hanging Rock - featured in Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' film. There's also a farm on Mt Macedon which has Galloway 'Belties' (black cattle with a white stripe) which come from where we are now - Galloway, so it is always funny to see them when we visit each year. I can also recommend a visit to Lancefield on Farmers Market Day (brilliant bakery there), a trip across to Woodend, Mt Macedon and over to Trentham (brilliant bakery there too).

The paintings are good aren't they - the Melbourne ones are excellent.

OzTennis
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We had a picnic at Hanging Rock when we went for our validation trip last feb. Went up the Rock 40 degrees C!

See pic of view from top.

Cadman
Attached Thumbnails Macedon Ranges-hanging-rock-small.jpg  
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:40 pm
Living our dream!!

fozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nice

Hi, we are looking at Gisborne as we have family in Kyneton and don't want to be to far away and I must say Gisborne seems to fit what we want.

Does anyone know where i could find any pictures of Gisborne?

My hubby is a bricklayer and we were wondering if he would be able to get work in the area or is going to have to go into the city?

Michelle
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fozzie
Hi, we are looking at Gisborne as we have family in Kyneton and don't want to be to far away and I must say Gisborne seems to fit what we want.

Does anyone know where i could find any pictures of Gisborne?

My hubby is a bricklayer and we were wondering if he would be able to get work in the area or is going to have to go into the city?

Michelle
The artist I referred to above is realist in style so check out his paintings. Try also the websites I mentioned, go into domain.com.au or realestate.com.au select Gisborne and properties will come up with photos of the area and go into Google and enter Gisborne Australia; Gisborne Victoria etc (there's a Kiwi one too so I wouldn't suggest Gisborne only. Some of these sorts of things come up:

http://www.travelmate.com.au/Places/...sborne_%5C_VIC
(A Map) http://www.wilmap.com.au/vicmaps/gisborne.html
http://www.macedongrove.com.au/home.htm

OzTennis
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:14 pm
Living our dream!!

fozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The artist I referred to above is realist in style so check out his paintings. Try also the websites I mentioned, go into domain.com.au or realestate.com.au select Gisborne and properties will come up with photos of the area and go into Google and enter Gisborne Australia; Gisborne Victoria etc (there's a Kiwi one too so I wouldn't suggest Gisborne only. Some of these sorts of things come up:

http://www.travelmate.com.au/Places/...sborne_%5C_VIC
(A Map) http://www.wilmap.com.au/vicmaps/gisborne.html
http://www.macedongrove.com.au/home.htm

OzTennis
Hi OzTennis, Thanks for that I have already looked at realestate and domain.com.au and alot of the houses do have beautiful views I just wanted to see what the town was like. Thankyou anyway I will look at what you have suggested.

Michelle
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fozzie
Hi OzTennis, Thanks for that I have already looked at realestate and domain.com.au and alot of the houses do have beautiful views I just wanted to see what the town was like. Thankyou anyway I will look at what you have suggested.

Michelle
Michelle

You'll see the main street in Peter Gerasimon's 3 paintings entitled Fountain (I, II and III on his website). Gisborne is approached by roads from 4 sides (Melbourne, Melton, Bacchus Marsh and Woodend/Macedon and the fountain is where they meet). It has hills on all 4 sides and is located on the river valley at the bottom and extends up onto the hillsides. It has quite a good range of shops with a newish shopping mall with a largish supermarket to the west - the tennis courts and bowling club are nearby. There is a very wide main street and the 'footy' ground and park are on the east side of the main street. The secondary school is 1/2 mile out of the town on the Melton road and there are quite a few primary schools.

It is just off the Calder Fwy (main road b/n Melbourne and Bendigo) and has nice views towards the Macedon Ranges. It has the appearance of a bustling country town and yet it is 35/40 minutes 'tops' from Melbourne. In the absence of photos I hope that paints some picture - I can see it in my 'skull cinema' but can't pass this image on.

We considered living there in the past FWIW, but eventually bought land at Mt Macedon which we didn't build on as I said because we got jobs in Bendigo.

By an absolutely amazing co-incidence - after posting about Gisborne yesterday I was reading 'The Scotsman' newspaper last night and there was a letter to the editor (about global warming) from a John McLean of Gisborne, Victoria, Australia - in an Edinburgh newspaper which he must read online. Weird eh?

OzTennis
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DDD
did I mention I drove up to "Hels" in Bendigo. I couldn't see a thing it was raining so hard! But I had a fantastic view of the Macedon ranges and surrounding countryside as I drove back to Melbourne the following day (on the Calder.) Well worth a trip up there.
Helinuk
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:36 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hey there OzTennis,

Thanks again

D D
Hi Dolly

Haven't been up there myself yet but I work in the CBD, & one of my colleagues commutes in each day from Mt Macedon. He says it takes about 45-50 mins. He loves living there & says it is a great place to bring up kids.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:12 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi DDD
did I mention I drove up to "Hels" in Bendigo. I couldn't see a thing it was raining so hard! But I had a fantastic view of the Macedon ranges and surrounding countryside as I drove back to Melbourne the following day (on the Calder.) Well worth a trip up there.
Helinuk
Hi there Helen,

What you up to then mate??? How long are you in Oz for? Have sent you a PM.

Anya

Thanks for your comments. Which part have to chosen to settle in?

D D
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:15 am
Living our dream!!

Hi OzTennis

Thanks for that I'm there already I think that it is definatley going to be around that region that we will settle. My uncle is sending some local papers for me and my Mum and Dad are out in Aus at the mo and have said they will get some rental listings etc from the estate agents in Gisborne. So that will be great.

How we look at things is that we are 20minutes from the city now and would love to move more towards the countryside here so why not go for it in Aus.

Michelle