Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

M afraid now..abt renting house!!!

M afraid now..abt renting house!!!

Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:18 am
Just Joined

lordkrishna is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy M afraid now..abt renting house!!!

In australia it is not possible to rent a house in sydney (or elsewhere in australia) unless one has a job and a rent-history to show.

Is this statement true?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: M afraid now..abt renting house!!!

No its not true. Providing you can evidence having money then basically theres not a problem.

I rented our first place here without a job, in fact I was a student and had owned my home for years. I did not provide any references or history at all. All I simply did was offer to pay the rent up front and the problems seemed to vanish.

At the end of the day the landlord needs to know he's going to get the rent and your not a complete bogan. Thats all there is too it.

I know some people on this board have taken references from banks, mortgage lenders and the local vicar. Personally I have never found any need for any of it at all and think its over reacting.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Centurion is correct.

Arrived in Brisbane in Oct 06 - no referees - rented a place no problem.

Might be a good idea to get bank account sorted before you get here so that you have the money ready for bond and initial rent. We used the bank as referee but I'm not sure the letting agent even bothered checking as we seemed 'genuine'.

Good luck

Smiths
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

steve_m is on a distinguished road

Centurion and Smiths are both correct but.... Beware, there is a severe shortage of rental properties in Sydney (virtually no furnished accommodation) and it is estimated that rent prices could increase by 20% over the next year. This situation is (apparently) supposed to worsen as investors take their money elsewhere. I live in Kellyville in the Hills region and there is property to rent around, but far less than there was a year ago. Good Real Estate websites like www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au should give you a good idea of what's available by region but you'll find that they go very quickly; if you take time to think about if you're going to rent a particular property, you'll probably miss out! Sorry to be a bit pessimistic but having been through it myself, I would have rather been warned just how difficult it can be. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.