Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lurker out of the closet............

Lurker out of the closet............

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lurker out of the closet............

well i have been lurking for a while and have decided to drop a line.

I get the idea that debate can get quite hot on here!!- sounds good - but also looks like people give their advice pretty straight.

our story? - we with 3 kids (11, 9, 3) looking to migrate to aus. got a consultation next week with agent, wife is a nurse, and after looking through a few threads, feeling pretty confident on it going through fairly quick, house up for sale and can live with parents for as long as need be prior - but any advice, sarcy comments, or just plain insults will be appreciated.

oh - just to let you know also - we are considering going overland to aus? got some vague ideas about campervans and the old hippy trail etc....

cheers
Jaruky
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lurker out of the closet............

Originally posted by jaruky

I get the idea that debate can get quite hot on here!!- sounds good - but also looks like people give their advice pretty straight.

our story? - we with 3 kids (11, 9, 3) looking to migrate to aus. got a consultation next week with agent, wife is a nurse, and after looking through a few threads, feeling pretty confident on it going through fairly quick, house up for sale and can live with parents for as long as need be prior - but any advice, sarcy comments, or just plain insults will be appreciated.

oh - just to let you know also - we are considering going overland to aus? got some vague ideas about campervans and the old hippy trail etc....

cheers
Jaruky
Ask everyone who gives you advice "Do you live in Oz?" and then take their opinion for what it is worth - you might as well ask your newsagent when you get your next paper.

I have lived in Oz for many years now and if I was to be considering it today, I would stay in the UK. Oz's future is very bleak and it will be best to be in the largest economy you can in the near future to secure a reasonable standard of living and quality of life.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Overland. How very New Age of you. Good on you. What a brilliant way to do it. Five of you in a campervan for months on end. Not sure that I would have your endurance.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Jaruky
With your wife as primary applicant your visa will be fast tracked. You ought to get it within 6 months or so (yes, that's fast tracked).

Have you been here before? A visit first would be a good idea, how do you know you'll like it? Although even a month's visit to validate the visa like we did really isn't enough to know what it's like to live here.

As for the overland bit, is someone afraid of flying? otherwise I reckon you're insane, especially with the kids.

Anyway, Good luck to you.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
Jaruky
We've got 3 kid's, 9,6 and 3. I'm not close to going to NZ yet, but am already panicking about a 24 hour flight with the 3 little darlings!!!

Overland sounds fab, but can you get the kids sent out later once you've got to Oz. They can stay with your parent's until you need them!

Good luck and welcome!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome to the site!

You should have no problems getting the visa with your wife being a nurse.

I hope you get lots of good advice, there are bags of great people who use this site. Unfortunately there are a few out to put everyone off.Take the negatives lightly and don't let 'The Trolls' put you off.

Tina
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tinaj
Welcome to the site!

You should have no problems getting the visa with your wife being a nurse.

I hope you get lots of good advice, there are bags of great people who use this site. Unfortunately there are a few out to put everyone off.Take the negatives lightly and don't let 'The Trolls' put you off.

Tina
Here's a perfect example. This person lives in Surrey, England, and so how much weight will you give to their opinion of life in Australia? All they will give you is "positive" opinions based on their idealised view of their own future and that is no use to you at all.

Do yourself a favour mate and reason that you came to the site to find the truth, hopefully, and that if you just read and accept all the "positive" stuff cos that is what you were hoping for then what was the point of logging on at all - just to have illusions justified by people who do not live in Oz and so have no idea what they are talking about?

By all means ignore me - that is up to you - but do not ignore all the old hands here - dotty, Ceri, PB, and many more, from whom you will get some genuine advice and opinion based on actual life in Oz.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:39 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Wilf
Here's a perfect example. This person lives in Surrey, England, and so how much weight will you give to their opinion of life in Australia? All they will give you is "positive" opinions based on their idealised view of their own future and that is no use to you at all.

Do yourself a favour mate and reason that you came to the site to find the truth, hopefully, and that if you just read and accept all the "positive" stuff cos that is what you were hoping for then what was the point of logging on at all - just to have illusions justified by people who do not live in Oz and so have no idea what they are talking about?

By all means ignore me - that is up to you - but do not ignore all the old hands here - dotty, Ceri, PB, and many more, from whom you will get some genuine advice and opinion based on actual life in Oz.
You are too free with your opinions and to quick with your judgements. Proffer your experience and leave the rest to the reader.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
You are too free with your opinions and to quick with your judgements. Proffer your experience and leave the rest to the reader.

Only shallow people do not judge by appearances - Wilde.

A quick judgement is an early tea break - Wilf
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Only shallow people do not judge by appearances - Wilde.

A quick judgement is an early tea break - Wilf
"I don't like principles. I prefer prejudices."

"Only the shallow know themselves."

To see a compilation of Wiffyisms:
Oscar Wilde
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

"I don't like principles. I prefer prejudices."

"Only the shallow know themselves."

To see a compilation of Wiffyisms:
Oscar Wilde

Good collection Mega.

Wilde gives me my reason to be here, you see:

"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

What a great man.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:18 am
Banned

Good collection Mega.

Wilde gives me my reason to be here, you see:

"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

What a great man.
You cloak yourself in noble causes and the words of a nitwit but your purpose is your own.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

You cloak yourself in noble causes and the words of a nitwit but your purpose is your own.
You are looking too hard at something that is not there Mega. I am just trying to do a favour to the one or two that will listen to what I say about this bleak land of yours. It will be a bad move for many and if they are after adventure then I can think of more adventure than getting on a jumbo jet and renting a unit in another coutry where English is spoken and where the dominant culture is a small offshoot of their own.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:54 am
Banned

You are looking too hard at something that is not there Mega. I am just trying to do a favour to the one or two that will listen to what I say about this bleak land of yours. It will be a bad move for many and if they are after adventure then I can think of more adventure than getting on a jumbo jet and renting a unit in another coutry where English is spoken and where the dominant culture is a small offshoot of their own.
You have posted ad nauseam on this single topic in a manner which, if not calculated to alienate the reader, has that very effect. Your style guarantees rejection of your message regardless of its content.

If I discard the possibility that your posts are ill intented, your central message is that, for a variety of reasons, emigration to Australia is not in the best long term interest of those who post here. With that I largely agree. However, you write as though your beliefs are to be handed down from on high.

Give your experience, not your opinion on the rights and wrongs of others as judged by you, and you may be of service.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

You have posted ad nauseam on this single topic in a manner which, if not calculated to alienate the reader, has that very effect. Your style guarantees rejection of your message regardless of its content.

If I discard the possibility that your posts are ill intented, your central message is that, for a variety of reasons, emigration to Australia is not in the best long term interest of those who post here. With that I largely agree. However, you write as though your beliefs are to be handed down from on high.

Give your experience, not your opinion on the rights and wrongs of others as judged by you, and you may be of service.

It seems that you are right regarding my tone, but we all have our ways and I cannot do all this stuff without being a bit acid because there is much to burn through. I suspect sometimes that I do not alienate as much as you say, though, and have at least made many think twice, even if they do not admit it.

I am not going to give my personal life an airing here, and you must feel the same about your own, so should understand. Personal details are used against you to rubbish an argument that has merit but is not easy to take. I do indeed intend to make people face what they do not like to face and I do not expect to be popular for that, but nor does it make me as bad as people think - I am one of the few people here who isn't trying to get comfort from conning others into joining me for example.

I am surprised , but very pleased to hear that, as an ozzie who is well placed to judge, you largely agree with me that "for a variety of reasons, emigration to Australia is not in the best long term interest of those who post here". It is my genuine opinion and I am just stating it clearly. I am not looking for friends but just stating my opinions and trying to be very clear about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.