Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On the lunchtime news

On the lunchtime news

Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:05 pm
tennisoz

Default On the lunchtime news

Just a couple of items to share from the BBC lunchtime news - and I just report them for information (don't shoot the messenger and all that):

The average house price in the UK at the end of October was £138,000, a substantial increase on 12 months before so it is felt interest rate rises are virtually certain.

Firearm murders per 100,000 of the population are 0.12 in the UK, 2.9 in USA (24 times the UK rate), 80.6 in South Africa (670 times the UK rate).

No comparable figures given for Australia but no doubt someone will have them.

TennisOz

Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On the lunchtime news

Originally posted by tennisoz
Just a couple of items to share from the BBC lunchtime news - and I just report them for information (don't shoot the messenger and all that):

The average house price in the UK at the end of October was £138,000, a substantial increase on 12 months before so it is felt interest rate rises are virtually certain.

Firearm murders per 100,000 of the population are 0.12 in the UK, 2.9 in USA (24 times the UK rate), 80.6 in South Africa (670 times the UK rate).

TennisOz
And the Oz Federal Reserve has increased interest rates by .25% - the first major economy to do so - fx rates have increased but who knows what all that means !!!:scared:
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:17 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz

TennisOz
Couldn't locate the comparison but crime stats published May 2003 can be seen here

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

Median house price in perth $215,000

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 5th 2003 at 3:26 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Couldn't locate the comparison but crime stats published May 2003 can be seen here

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

Median house price in perth $215,000
Would be interesting to have either the median house price for the UK, or the average for aus. Median and Average can vary by alot.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:03 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

all I know is....house price increase in Perth in the last year ( I went Sept 2002 and I have just returned for the second time) is about 25 - 30% .....but I could still buy a 3 bed place with double car port,big garden ect ect ...for just over £70,000...still a bargain compared to here..but hey I aint trying to go there for cheep houseing....but it is a bonus...