Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lunatics Taking over the Asylum?

Lunatics Taking over the Asylum?

Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lunatics Taking over the Asylum?

Ok Ok Can we finally admit both sides have a point and stop the bitching on and on. Many Posters join here to get some support and advice. PB from once being objective now gets abusive and calls anyone wanting to move here dim witted and rose tinted - some help, along with quoting readers letters to newspapers as facts!!!! His mate Twofinger salute joins in with choice abuse and other irrelevant twaddle. Others have more valid relevant economic facts and personal information to offer - I have read Dottys comments for a long time and have no complaint! so roll on this advice it definitley helped me make some important decisions - one of them to come to Australia anyway knowing a little more.

So I have not been here 2 years yet, only nine months but I am enjoying myself (after a very bad 6 month start) and making decisions as I go, exactly as if I had moved to any point in Europe, or in England, or in the UK as I did when I moved from Belfast to Reading many years ago. Lucky for me at the time I did not haunt a similar website! I moved from a two bed flat to a shitty one bed rented in a house - if I had been told at the time the economic pressure and unhappy times that would never end I would not now be having the adventure of my life. No nothing is easy, I never thought things would be better just a different challenge.

There is no absolutely no need for some people to constantly ram their opinions down others throats - on either side. We are all entitled to an opinion on this site and let the posters who have questions to ask and support to gain get on with it. I have been a member here since Sept 2001 and hope to give a little of the information back that helped me good and bad.

So a note to some - there is no need to get as many posts on as possible to every thread and IMOP destroy some good conversational detail. If you feel you have a single relevant post ask the administrator to post your informational warning at the start so it can stay there.

The private messaging and email support to some is becoming the only way to communicate because you are worried about the abuse you might suffer when offerring genuine advice (obviously in that ((and this)) posters opinion)!

I like Aus, I am enjoying myself, I Loved Living in Belfast, I thought Reading was the arse hole of nowhere, but have many family members and friends there and enjoyed it despite its shortcomings for me. I had a great job there and have a great job here.

All of the above is my own opinion, and obviously open to counter points but I will not discuss in this thread

- The size of relevant boats in either country
- the ability of a tax system to take money from my salary
- the amount of BBQs attended
- the current size of my alcohol consumption at said BBQs
- my ability to be discerning when reading any countries newspapers
- my political ability to lick other countries backsides
- or the bloody weather!

Cheers Sandra - off to laugh at myself!
Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:47 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

W
Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:50 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Oops!

Well said - honest info. is one thing, but you've got to question why some people are on this forum night and day taking the piss out of Oz. Maybe they should get off their arses and look for some positive aspect of the country they live in.

:scared:
Old Jan 15th 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Couldn't have put it better myself Sandra!!! PML!!

It is a real shame that the only way to converse properly now does seem to be the PM and emailing, which is cutting people out on important information just because the poster is worried how people will reply to that info (good or bad).

I would never tell anyone it was an easy decision to pack up our life in the UK and move to Australia, (we actually like the UK, but wanted to experience something different) it's worked for us and although we have only been here 4 months we are having a wonderful adventure and no matter what we decide to do later on down the line, this experience will definitely have enriched our lives in a BIG way.

I live in Rockingham WA, which to hear some on this forum is one big hole, but having lived in the centre of Leeds and then Wakefield for most of my life I have to say that nothing ever seems to happen here! So am not entirely sure that the people who say it is a hole have ever actually been here! I am generally, reluctant to part with my views on this though as I, quite frankly, can't be bothered wasting my energy reading the inevitable twaddle that's spouted afterwards

The local paper we get down here the Sound Telegraph had this headline screaming from the front page on the issue immediately after New Years Eve "POLICE HAPPY WITH CROWDS"...HMM real hotbed of crime here I can tell you LOL!!!

love sophia xx
Old Jan 15th 2003, 9:02 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lunatics Taking over the Asylum?

Sandra,

Hear, hear. I think you express sentiments that many of us share. However, I think the doom and gloom merchants are here to stay, and we'll rely more and more on PMs. Which is a shame, as it defeats the purpose of the forums. I for one, spend a lot less time on BritishExpats (some of you might consider that a bonus!) than I used to, primarily because I am fed up with the sniping & backbiting.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 3:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
Ok Ok Can we finally admit both sides have a point and stop the bitching on and on. Many Posters join here to get some support and advice. PB from once being objective now gets abusive and calls anyone wanting to move here dim witted and rose tinted - some help, along with quoting readers letters to newspapers as facts!!!! His mate Twofinger salute joins in with choice abuse and other irrelevant twaddle. Others have more valid relevant economic facts and personal information to offer - I have read Dottys comments for a long time and have no complaint! so roll on this advice it definitley helped me make some important decisions - one of them to come to Australia anyway knowing a little more.

All of the above is my own opinion, and obviously open to counter points but I will not discuss in this thread

- The size of relevant boats in either country
- the ability of a tax system to take money from my salary
- the amount of BBQs attended
- the current size of my alcohol consumption at said BBQs
- my ability to be discerning when reading any countries newspapers
- my political ability to lick other countries backsides
- or the bloody weather!

Cheers Sandra - off to laugh at myself!
Very valid points let me say that I am very sorry about the abuse and will atemp to give a more open minded view of the lucky country reguardless of insults thrown at me.
You must admit that more than a few love to engage in a bit of banter even yourself and a little humour would not go amiss , as for Aussie points of view is there no room for people who grown up here and express themselfs though letters to local papers.

PS Sopia Rockingham is the pits I will have bet with you that no way that if stop in Perth that you will not stay there unless it reminds you of Wakefield , to far from anywhere and down market or what.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 16th 2003 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely agree with PB (thats a personal first, BTW agreeing with PB ) - I've been to Rockingham & it IS the pits. lol.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true Sandra - there are too many lunatics here. We need some rational, reasonable debate about emigrating with toilet seats etc.

Anyone remember this classic?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=to...way.com&rnum=1

MM

Last edited by madmancunian; Jan 16th 2003 at 6:37 am.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 6:12 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madmancunian
Too true Sandra - there are too many lunatics here. We need some rational, reasonable debate about emigrating with toilet seats etc.

MM
Well put by a fellow inmate pass one of them green tablets the blue ones were crap.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sophia
I have to say that nothing ever seems to happen here!

Exactly. Which is why many people get bored out of their tree here!!!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:15 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Ok Ok Can we finally admit both sides have a point and stop the bitching on and on.
They haven't taken over the asylum. They just run around a bit when those of us in the UK are asleep. Switch on your computer in the morning and the board is littered with their mischievous postings (I'm being very restrained there!)

It takes all sorts to make a world, I for one am happy to read the negative posts. Either I will get there next month and be fully forewarned of the horrors of Australia or who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised and find out it isn't as bad as all that.

Keep posting everybody!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:53 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

MM
Agreed - One of the best laughs I ever had - I also had the good luck to meet the poster who started this toilet thread here in Syndey. I have no intention of starting reasonable rational debate at every turn - hence my comments at the end where slightly tongue in cheek and I really was off to laugh at myself.

PB - I am accepting your heartfelt apology! My point still is you do not have to change your opinion - tell it like it is by all means, but constantly calling us sad losers etc, is not amusing or banter. I still believe every poster deserves a chance including those who have enthusiasm in getting through the tough visa process and might need the sort of group 'forum' therapy of sharing without being put down.

I do not have rose tinted glasses either! I am off back to the UK for a work visit next week. I hope not to find my family and friends living the misery depicted by some on this group (I am hoping they are all still as contented as when we left) and equally I will look forward to coming back to enjoy myself with my family here.

Cheers
Old Jan 16th 2003, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
I'd definitely agree with PB (thats a personal first, BTW agreeing with PB ) - I've been to Rockingham & it IS the pits. lol.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then ...mmmm, but then again, is that even allowed on this forum?

love sophia xx
Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:34 pm
Banned

Agreed - One of the best laughs I ever had - I also had the good luck to meet the poster who started this toilet thread here in Syndey. I have no intention of starting reasonable rational debate at every turn - hence my comments at the end where slightly tongue in cheek and I really was off to laugh at myself.

PB - I am accepting your heartfelt apology! My point still is you do not have to change your opinion - tell it like it is by all means, but constantly calling us sad losers etc, is not amusing or banter. I still believe every poster deserves a chance including those who have enthusiasm in getting through the tough visa process and might need the sort of group 'forum' therapy of sharing without being put down.

I do not have rose tinted glasses either! I am off back to the UK for a work visit next week. I hope not to find my family and friends living the misery depicted by some on this group (I am hoping they are all still as contented as when we left) and equally I will look forward to coming back to enjoy myself with my family here.

Cheers
Very open minded of you girl , after years of baiting the locals and the other round I tend go for weak spots first .
I am sure the good people waiting for visa need cheering up , this does work both ways and humour is met with humour , abuse is countered with the same .
Anyway soon be on my way to the Mother Country and leave the hopeful in peace , I do wonder how many will turn into Pommie Bastards easy to do after a few years here , we Brits are a proud people and Pommie bashing needs countering.
Best Wishes PB

Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

MM
Now things are going to s##t ...

got any more like that, that one rules mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.