Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

luggage question

luggage question

Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:52 pm
WBB

Default luggage question

we are planning our validation trip for early march (subject to visa) and we wondered what the rules were for childrens luggage on the plane, do they get a full allowance ?
the reason being, we intend to take a load of stuff over on our trip and leave it there (with the outlaws) for our permanent return in 2005.

any ideas?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

WBB

Children get the full baggage entitlement so long as they have paid for a seat, usually infants have no allowance, but different airlines have different rules, you may find going via the states gives you more, best to check with each airline directly, dont trust a travel agent to do it for you.

Lynn
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:56 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: luggage question

Originally posted by welshboybilly
we are planning our validation trip for early march (subject to visa) and we wondered what the rules were for childrens luggage on the plane, do they get a full allowance ?
the reason being, we intend to take a load of stuff over on our trip and leave it there (with the outlaws) for our permanent return in 2005.

any ideas?

Well, with Mrs WBB's large knickers....

I think it depends on the child's age as to whether they have an allowance. Small anklebiters don't always get an allowance on some airlines.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:57 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

WBB,
they should do ours did when we went to NZ 2 years ago for hol. If they pay 50% of ticket price for childs fare on scheduled flight pretty certain. Also should say on ticket but you may want to check with airline before you get tickets if you haven't got them already.
I think my 2 got 25kg or 30kg each.

Jo
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by JoB
WBB,
they should do ours did when we went to NZ 2 years ago for hol. If they pay 50% of ticket price for childs fare on scheduled flight pretty certain. Also should say on ticket but you may want to check with airline before you get tickets if you haven't got them already.
I think my 2 got 25kg or 30kg each.

Jo
But the wee tykes'll find it hard to drag them cases all the way through customs
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:06 pm
WBB

thanks guys, this confirmed what we thought.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:07 pm
WBB

Originally posted by CHnJ
But the wee tykes'll find it hard to drag them cases all the way through customs

it's cool......i'll get a trolley for em to push.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

it's cool......i'll get a trolley for em to push.

You're all heart.

.... oh hang on, I getcha. They can push yours too that way!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:17 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ
You're all heart.

.... oh hang on, I getcha. They can push yours too that way!

Builds up the muscles, it'll be good for them.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Our kids have always had the full amount of luggage allowance.

On our last return trip, the youngest purchased 2 skate-boards which he somehow managed to squeeze in amongst his clothes, whilst the eldest bought every R & B cd he could get his hands on as he couldnt believe how much cheaper they were, compared to prices here.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:14 pm
WBB

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Our kids have always had the full amount of luggage allowance.

On our last return trip, the youngest purchased 2 skate-boards which he somehow managed to squeeze in amongst his clothes, whilst the eldest bought every R & B cd he could get his hands on as he couldnt believe how much cheaper they were, compared to prices here.
thanks for the reply, i should of said the kids are 5 and 5 months so we will pay for a seat for the older one but the baby should go free, we will have to ring the airline nearer the time.

all i need now is a visa.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply, i should of said the kids are 5 and 5 months so we will pay for a seat for the older one but the baby should go free, we will have to ring the airline nearer the time.

all i need now is a visa.
Don't count on getting the baby through "free". Cost us about £80 - must be the cost of the gold embossed ticket they will send for him !!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:20 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally posted by sjn2003
Don't count on getting the baby through "free". Cost us about £80 - must be the cost of the gold embossed ticket they will send for him !!
Oh and the gourmet food they provide, Gold Plated lap belts and the latest in child amusing packs they provide for the wee ones.

Jo
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:23 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

WBB,

They also get hand luggage allowance , not sure on little one though.
I suggest you fill a back pack full of toys. One suggestion I have had is to wrap up a few cheap gifts and let her/him open them after a few hours of good behaviour.
(If they keep crying to get out of the toilet then don't give them the pressies).

Bribery always works!!!

Jo
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thought babies were 10%, and 2-11 year olds 67% or 75% depending on the airline. 50% went out in OZ (anyway) years ago.

The 2-11 year olds do get a baggage allowance, dont know about babies tho. One thing to check tho, sometimes if a fare is discounted, the % will be of the full published fare not the cheap one!

For OZ travellers, Royal Brunei often have a kids 11-17 offer where they could go at the child fare. But someone from the UK said they had never heard of it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.