Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Luggage On Domestic Flights

Luggage On Domestic Flights

Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

yorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to all
Default Luggage On Domestic Flights

Hi guys,
Due to a recent change in plans we now need to book an internal flight in oz probably with virgin blue, does any one know the rules on luggage allowance we will be travelling with our 40kg allowance but the virgin site says only the normal 20kg is allowed and the extra you have to pay doesnt make the plan viable.Has anyone done the same and got the 40kg without paying for it.

thanks dave
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all
Default Re: Luggage On Domestic Flights

Originally Posted by yorkie999
Hi guys,
Due to a recent change in plans we now need to book an internal flight in oz probably with virgin blue, does any one know the rules on luggage allowance we will be travelling with our 40kg allowance but the virgin site says only the normal 20kg is allowed and the extra you have to pay doesnt make the plan viable.Has anyone done the same and got the 40kg without paying for it.

thanks dave
ooh good question I need to know that too. I hadn't thought about the fact my luggage would be over on a internal flight :scared
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:32 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sals
ooh good question I need to know that too. I hadn't thought about the fact my luggage would be over on a internal flight :scared
I spoke to Virgin Blue about this and they said to me that we would have to pay the excess baggage allowance which would work out at $30 dollers. Which is not a bad price. We are having to just pay this as we are flying buisness class so will have 32kg. So I would suggest just taking the 32kg. You can take more but they can't guarentee to get anything over 32 kg on.
Here is the link to look at excess luggage with virgin blue. I tried Jetstar and they are a lot dearer. http://www.virginblue.com/helpInfo/t...excess_baggage
Regards
Gary and Vikky
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

thanks dave
Hi there. Have you checked out Qantas. I don't know how their domestic fares compare with Virgin Blue, but their allowance for domestic is 32kg, and for excess, they charge per bag, not per kilo as a lot of the other airlines do. They used to charge $11.00 per piece, but see they have put it up to $20.00 which is still not bad.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas charged my husband by the kilo, not piece when he flew ADL to PER last month.
It may depend on how full your flight is or where you fly from/to. I think the fares are fairly similar between the 2 airlines, so it's really a question of who has a better schedule for your needs.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

thanks dave
If the Virgin flight is a connection from your international flight, contact Virgin and let them know this, along with the confirmation that you have the 40 kgs on the international flight - they may be OK about it then. Worth a try anyhow.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Qantas charged my husband by the kilo, not piece when he flew ADL to PER last month.
It may depend on how full your flight is or where you fly from/to. I think the fares are fairly similar between the 2 airlines, so it's really a question of who has a better schedule for your needs.
Thats quite odd. We have used Qantas several times from Sydney to Brisbane and they've always charged excess per bag, however, now that I think about it, the first time we did this, they were going to charge per kilo, until we pointed out that on their web site it clearly states $11.00 per extra bag (now $20.00).
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:19 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Our internal flight was with Jetstar....they were fantastic...we told them at check in that we had extra baggage as we were emigrating, the woman welcomed us to Oz and said Oh dont worry about paying for the extra....enjoy your new lives
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Yes Virgin are quite a lot stricter (cheap airfares - have to make cuts elsewhere) so they have 20kg on their economy seats, but Qantas have 32kgs on their economy, and it is $22 (incl GST) per bag up to 32kg.

I have just researched all of this, I chose Qantas as I am shipping a dog and cat as well and Virgin didn't seem to do that. However the girl who sold me the ticket said the animals will go as extra baggage as in $22 each but the freight people say it will be per kilo which will be about $200 for pooch. so just confused now
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Yes Virgin are quite a lot stricter (cheap airfares - have to make cuts elsewhere) so they have 20kg on their economy seats, but Qantas have 32kgs on their economy, and it is $22 (incl GST) per bag up to 32kg.

I have just researched all of this, I chose Qantas as I am shipping a dog and cat as well and Virgin didn't seem to do that. However the girl who sold me the ticket said the animals will go as extra baggage as in $22 each but the freight people say it will be per kilo which will be about $200 for pooch. so just confused now
We decided to spend 4 days in Sydney, before travelling down to Wagga which is where we sre settling, so 40kg was a no no, however 40kg is allowed on the train so we are going first class for 5 of us for around $350, reclining seats, buffet car not too badly priced. It may be an option for some, hope this helps. Lol x
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

yorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to allyorkie999 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for the replies i will check out qantas,our other plan is may be to land in brissie as planned and then buy a car which we need and then drive but we will see

dave