Luggage crisis!

Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Luggage crisis!

I'm sorry, but I just had to tell everyone what a hard time we're having with our luggage. We're now up to 8 pieces, at a total weight of over 110kgs! I get the feeling we're gonna have to pay some excess baggage charges....

What did everyone else take with them? All our big stuff was shipped, and we only kept the "essentials" back for our suitcases. I must be used to living in some amount of luxury if these are our essentials.

Anyway, I feel better for that! So, I'll let you get back to the forum.
Mr Logan :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:47 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Luggage crisis!

not sure but this might get expensive....
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were u I'd just pay the charges because if you've packed it you'll proberbly need it
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:14 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by logan
I'm sorry, but I just had to tell everyone what a hard time we're having with our luggage. We're now up to 8 pieces, at a total weight of over 110kgs! I get the feeling we're gonna have to pay some excess baggage charges....

What did everyone else take with them? All our big stuff was shipped, and we only kept the "essentials" back for our suitcases. I must be used to living in some amount of luxury if these are our essentials.

How many people travelling?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Logan
How long is a piece of string?
How many travelling?
Which airline?
What is your allowance?
We went with Singapore Airlines and were allowed 35 Kg each (strange figure!) including the 3 kids and 2 adults. We went on a temp visa so it took some persuasion for them to up our 20 Kg allowance.
So we were allowed 5 x 35 = 165Kg
We actually took 8 suitcases with a combined weight of 195 Kg with no single case over 30 Kg. We also took 2 childrens car seats and a buggy. Plus 5 sets of hand luggage! No problem. No extra charges.
Looking back, I don't know how we managed.

Andrew
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:16 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates allow 40KG per person if you can prove you are emigrating (send visa to travel agent).
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Singapore Airlines tried to charge us for being 9kgs over at 29GBPounds per kilo. Understandably I kicked up a bit of a fuss and she let it go. We also had the 40kg limit as migrants.

Could prove to be pretty expensive!!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:08 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Billabong
Singapore Airlines tried to charge us for being 9kgs over at 29GBPounds per kilo. Understandably I kicked up a bit of a fuss and she let it go. We also had the 40kg limit as migrants.

Could prove to be pretty expensive!!
I've heard that £20 per kilo over is a pretty standard excess baggage charge, if you're going with 35 kg each and there's just two of you, that'll be £800.

If however you're going via the states you've still got 18kg to go before you hit your limit.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:12 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andrew63
Mr Logan
How long is a piece of string?
How many travelling?
Which airline?
What is your allowance?
We went with Singapore Airlines and were allowed 35 Kg each (strange figure!) including the 3 kids and 2 adults. We went on a temp visa so it took some persuasion for them to up our 20 Kg allowance.
So we were allowed 5 x 35 = 165Kg
We actually took 8 suitcases with a combined weight of 195 Kg with no single case over 30 Kg. We also took 2 childrens car seats and a buggy. Plus 5 sets of hand luggage! No problem. No extra charges.
Looking back, I don't know how we managed.

Andrew
We're flying with Singapore on temp visas, how much persuading did they need?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:20 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Speak to the airline CARGO dept, if you do this before getting to the airport they can usually get it on the same flight as Cargo (if not it might get there a day or 2 after you) and you will be chaged much much less that the excess baggage charge.

Cheers
Kala
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
We're flying with Singapore on temp visas, how much persuading did they need?
Sye
A lot!
Call them (SIngapore Airlines) on the phone moreorless every few days until they caved in (reluctantly). Tell them you "know" they do for some people on temp visa (we have 3yr 457 visa)
Good luck

Andrew
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

rita is on a distinguished road

HI, I emailed singapore airlines and they siad its 40kg if fully permanent visa with no limititaions otherwise its 30kg, they also told me this when I rang up to check.
Emirates said 40kg and then when my travel agent rang up they said nothing because of the temp (spouse) visa restriction.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:55 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andrew63
Sye
A lot!
Call them (SIngapore Airlines) on the phone moreorless every few days until they caved in (reluctantly). Tell them you "know" they do for some people on temp visa (we have 3yr 457 visa)
Good luck

Andrew
Andrew

I called Singapore and mentioned we're migrating and they told us that we were allowed 40kg and this would be noted at the checkin desk, however we never mentioned the temp visas. We've probably only got about 30kg each anyway so we should be alright.

Cheers

Si
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:47 pm
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by Sye
Andrew

I called Singapore and mentioned we're migrating and they told us that we were allowed 40kg and this would be noted at the checkin desk, however we never mentioned the temp visas. We've probably only got about 30kg each anyway so we should be alright.

Cheers

Si
Si
Just make sure it is in writing or on your ticket - to be sure.

Andrew
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, these are my desperate luggage crisis tips (might not appeal to everyone!), just to explain, we were in the same situation and panicked with the weight of our cases...we went to Greece before leaving for Aus and got stung with a payment of £80 for extra luggage...we didn't want to get stung again for the trip to Aus, so we bought some bum bags in Greece (very attractive not)and stuck heavy stuff like cameras, jewellery in them...and my weights for my kitchen scales lol... you can also take out books etc, put them in handluggage (they don't tend to check you handluggage). My flight bag weighed a tonne! If very desperate, wear your coats, you just take them off on the plane. Your case should be just clothes and towels really, you can often check the weight of cases somewhere in the airport and jiggle stuf around. Those small kids luggage trolleys are great for kids toys and you can squash some of your own stuff in too. Many people you see with a luggage trolley plush a flight bag... not sure what the regs are on this.
ATB
Larissa
PS Max kg for a case is 30kg now I think due to health and safety.