Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

luggage allowance for migrants

luggage allowance for migrants

Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default luggage allowance for migrants

sorry everyone pressed the wrong button!Try again. When we finally go we will be travelling on a business visa 457,and have been told by a lady at Singapore Airlines that we have to have a Permanent Residants Visa to entitle us to the extra baggage allowance. I don't know how we will manage to take what we need with an allowance of only 20kg each . Can anyone advise? Worried of Somerset!
Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:34 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We cam out on 457 too. Firrstly, have you got (small) kids? They also have 20kg allowance so you can use up some of theirs. Also you can take something like 7kg each on as hand luggage. You'll just have to committ to clearing out stuff and buying new here.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 1:24 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: luggage allowance for migrants

Santa,

I seem to recall that BA/Qantas had a double baggage allowance deal, which was for people travelling on an 'unused migrant's visa'. As BA/Qantas wasn't an option for us, I didn't find out the details. I believe Emirates also did extra baggage allowance from the UK, and I can recommend them. Good luck.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Santa
sorry everyone pressed the wrong button!Try again. When we finally go we will be travelling on a business visa 457,and have been told by a lady at Singapore Airlines that we have to have a Permanent Residants Visa to entitle us to the extra baggage allowance. I don't know how we will manage to take what we need with an allowance of only 20kg each . Can anyone advise? Worried of Somerset!
Old Feb 20th 2003, 1:58 am
Just Joined

dillon is an unknown quantity at this point

If you fly with BA Qantas you can ask for the extra 20kgs baggage and it is no problem.
Flying excess baggage with them is a hassle and you might want to use a company like excessbaggage.co.uk
I had 15 kgs over my allowance and sent if parcel force which took a week and cost £90.
It may help you to know that any flights which route through the USA (ie LHR-LAX-SYD) you get the US baggage allowance of two pieces of no more that 32kgs each (so 64kgs each person). It's a longer route but the baggage might make up for it.
When I came out I here bought a round the world ticket which routed me out through Hong Kong to SYD and then back through the states and so got the full 64 kgs all the way around. This option might be useful to anyone who has to go back to the UK within the first 12 months.
Be careful if you book a RTW ticket though. They are milage based. Many agents (and even some airline staff) don't know the rules of the ticket and you have to be switched on if you want to get the best value out of all the potential of the ticket. My advice would be book it direct with BA by going in to the London Regent St branch or ring them. The dates (apart from initial departure) are all changeable for no fee and you can use up the full milage of the ticket by adding internal flights in OZ.
Don't forget to join the Qantas frequent flyer club from the UK before booking the ticket as they waive the joining fee for people outside of Oz. (BA and other oneWorld airlines all credit miles to a Qantas flyer)
Hope this helps