Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Luggage Allowance

Luggage Allowance

Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future
Default Luggage Allowance

Hi Guys,

Well we finally arrived in Australia, what a nightmare with the luggage, we had a stopover in South Africa(which I recommend to everyone, such a lovely place with great friendly people). Well it all started at Heathrow, after ringing BA twice and confirming the allowance of 2 items of luggage 20kg each per person if a person is migrating, we had to almost beg for the allowance in heathrow, then in Cape town, Jo-burg in the end we had to pay for 10kg, costing nearly 170 pounds. Not sure what advice to give anyone on this subject, but if I knew what I know now(now that's a song), then I would only take one item of luggage @ 20kg.

Happier now that we are in Aus though. And I just thought I would pass on the information.

And for all the dogs lovers out there and have been following the saga with my dogs, our dogs finally fly on Monday(hooray)

Jo
Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:31 am
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all
Default Re: Luggage Allowance

we read that if you fly via usa you get double baggage allowance but that might be on certain airlines , we're hoping to stop off in san francisco or vegas , seeing as we wont be holidaying for quite a while, if anyone has a usefull link about baggage allowance thats up to date that would be most useful x
Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunseekers
we read that if you fly via usa you get double baggage allowance but that might be on certain airlines , we're hoping to stop off in san francisco or vegas , seeing as we wont be holidaying for quite a while, if anyone has a usefull link about baggage allowance thats up to date that would be most useful x
The double baggage allowance for migrants varies from airline to airline, and is sometimes dependent on the purchase of a special migrant ticket. Check with the airline itself, and ALWAYS get it in writing. The check in staff have to go by what is on your record on their computer, they can't take your word for it that you have spoken to someone, unless you have proof.

The US route normally allows moe than via Asia, but you have the hassle oif US immigration.

Also, the double allowance is almost exclusively for the FIRSt trip on the visa (so if you do a validation trip, you will not get it when you migrate), and is only for permanent migration.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:42 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi Guys,

Well we finally arrived in Australia, what a nightmare with the luggage, we had a stopover in South Africa(which I recommend to everyone, such a lovely place with great friendly people). Well it all started at Heathrow, after ringing BA twice and confirming the allowance of 2 items of luggage 20kg each per person if a person is migrating, we had to almost beg for the allowance in heathrow, then in Cape town, Jo-burg in the end we had to pay for 10kg, costing nearly 170 pounds. Not sure what advice to give anyone on this subject, but if I knew what I know now(now that's a song), then I would only take one item of luggage @ 20kg.

Happier now that we are in Aus though. And I just thought I would pass on the information.

And for all the dogs lovers out there and have been following the saga with my dogs, our dogs finally fly on Monday(hooray)

Jo
Hi Jo,

Glad you had a safe trip and welcome to Oz. Where are you exactly?

We flew out last month with BA and we had untold problems getting them to agree a 40kg. luggage allowance. We went fully prepared for problems at the airport, but they simply didn't materialise - and we actually went perilously near to the 40kg. each mark. I don't know if this was because they were running behind at Heathrow that evening - it was during the Gate Gourmet fiasco - and we were queueing to check in almost up until flight time. Maybe they were feeling kind that night!

Good to hear that the dogs are almost on their way. Our pets arrived safely on 6th September and are currently *doing time* at Byford. They're getting along fine, and are due out next week. We just have to find somewhere to live!!

Good luck with your new life - look forward to reading more posts from you soon.

Sue
Old Sep 25th 2005, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Hi Sue,

We are in the Gold Coast at the moment with Family.

Jo

Glad you had a safe trip and welcome to Oz. Where are you exactly?

We flew out last month with BA and we had untold problems getting them to agree a 40kg. luggage allowance. We went fully prepared for problems at the airport, but they simply didn't materialise - and we actually went perilously near to the 40kg. each mark. I don't know if this was because they were running behind at Heathrow that evening - it was during the Gate Gourmet fiasco - and we were queueing to check in almost up until flight time. Maybe they were feeling kind that night!

Good to hear that the dogs are almost on their way. Our pets arrived safely on 6th September and are currently *doing time* at Byford. They're getting along fine, and are due out next week. We just have to find somewhere to live!!

Good luck with your new life - look forward to reading more posts from you soon.

Sue[/QUOTE]