Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Luggage Allowance

Luggage Allowance

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:42 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Luggage Allowance

Can anyone help me. We are looking at flying one way with Singapore airlines to Melbourne and was wondering do Singapore allow the extra luggage allowance for migrants? If not which airlines do via the east

I know that via America is the best option for extra allowance but am not interested in flying via America and even more so since it was announced on the news about new terrorist threats of hijacking in the next couple of months.

Cheers

Jo

Melbourne Bound Nov 2003
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We fly on the 11th Aug with Singapore and we have got the double baggage allowance. You have to have an unvalidated visa to qualify.

Mike.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

We're flying one way to Melbourne with Emirates on the 17th September and because we don't have a visa (flying on Australian Passports) we don't qualify at all for extra luggage.

Not fair

Regards
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:59 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
We fly on the 11th Aug with Singapore and we have got the double baggage allowance. You have to have an unvalidated visa to qualify.

Mike.

Thanks for that we have unvalidated visa's so that's good to hear. I take it that you need to mention it to the agent prior to booking

Jo
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the agent when you book - get them to check with the airline as well cos some will only do it if you book direct - I had this problem with Qantas, so dropped them in favour of Cathay Pacific.
The agent will probably need a copy of each person's visa to forward to the airline as well to confirm it.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:05 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Mike.

Do you know if you have to have a one way ticket to qualify?

Slater
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Slater
Do you know if you have to have a one way ticket to qualify?

Slater

As far as I am aware, you have to have a one way ticket.

Mike.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:10 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

As far as I am aware, you have to have a one way ticket.

Mike.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay one way?

Slater
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will have to have a one-way ticket - haven't found any airline that differs from that yet.
From memory mine is about £570 inc all taxes, LHR - HKG - BNE with Cathay, I'm not going to late October so its probably quite high in comparison with what you'd get at present. It wasn't the cheapest, but I'm choosy about my airlines, esp on long-haul.

Booked it through Austravel, but you'll have to ring them, to tell them its for migration, don't do it throught he website

And before the next question.... its 08701 662 160
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:11 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by Pollyana
Yes, you will have to have a one-way ticket - haven't found any airline that differs from that yet.
From memory mine is about £570 inc all taxes, LHR - HKG - BNE with Cathay, I'm not going to late October so its probably quite high in comparison with what you'd get at present. It wasn't the cheapest, but I'm choosy about my airlines, esp on long-haul.

Booked it through Austravel, but you'll have to ring them, to tell them its for migration, don't do it throught he website

And before the next question.... its 08701 662 160
Unfortunately my mum is terminally ill, I expect to return to the UK within a year, so it probably would make sense for me to book a return flight. I suppose the other 5 in our family will get double baggage allowance one way.

On the surface this looks like a good website, it has been recommended for reasonable airfares to Oz.
http://www.leestravel.com/

Slater
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Slater
Unfortunately my mum is terminally ill, I expect to return to the UK within a year, so it probably would make sense for me to book a return flight. I suppose the other 5 in our family will get double baggage allowance one way.

On the surface this looks like a good website, it has been recommended for reasonable airfares to Oz.
http://www.leestravel.com/

Slater

Guys....i booked our flights 2 weeks ago with singapore....2 singles.

My wife is any aussie, so would'nt qualify for the baggage, but i ama brit, with an unvalidated visa....do i qualify for the extra baggage? Do i need to phone my agent to let them know before i fly?

Cheers

Pete.

(btw....i paid 470 each inc taxes, no stopovers)
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:29 pm
Home and Happy

Pete,
Yes you must tell them or you won't get it! Either ring the agent or the airline, pref the airline, then when you get the ticket it should say 40kg instead of 20 - otherwise you will get to the airport and be faced with a huge bill.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:44 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
otherwise you will get to the airport and be faced with a huge bill.
And we don't want that now do we !!!

Desperatly trying to find the number and ticket reference right now !!

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Hope you find it......somewhere a few months ago there was a post on here from a family who got to check-in and then found out they couldn't have the extra.......large amount of unpacking and throwing stuff away at the airport from what I remember. Certainly scared me enough to hassle Austravel about mine!:lecture:
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:20 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Luggage Allowance

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joh117
Can anyone help me. We are looking at flying one way with Singapore airlines to Melbourne and was wondering do Singapore allow the extra luggage allowance for migrants? If not which airlines do via the east

When we got to the airport we had arranged for my husband to get the extra allowance but they let me and my daughter have more allowance as we only had a one way ticket and I told them that even though I had an Australian passport I had never been before and I was emmigrating! They let us have 30k instead of the normal 20k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.