British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Lucky Country: will you help your Kiwi mates? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/lucky-country-will-you-help-your-kiwi-mates-116216/)

Don Nov 7th 2002 9:56 am

The Lucky Country: will you help your Kiwi mates?

Hello all! We've got really lonely on the NZ board as our Lucky Country mates don't visit us any more and we don't get nearly half as many useful comments and feedback from you any more. Would you really object if we were to ask Paul (the Administrator big cheese) to put the Lifestyle & Culture boards for Australia and NZ back together again? Please give a response.

Thanks a lot - Don

Don Nov 7th 2002 6:27 pm

Thanks for the replies so far!

baldbutts Nov 7th 2002 6:44 pm

Come back to us you tree hugging luvvies.
While you're on at Paul,see if he'll consider putting Lifestyle & Immigration forums back together- To quote what the Queen said to me & Tipper in bed the other night " it aint the same no more,wot wot wot"

BB-Butler to The Aristocracy

p.s this aint a dig Paul,keep up the good work

pommie bastard Nov 8th 2002 1:10 am

Re: The Lucky Country: will you help your Kiwi mates?

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hello all! We've got really lonely on the NZ board as our Lucky Country
Thanks a lot - Don

Always brings a smile to my ugly face , the Lucky Country more like Lucky you are not here.Aussies and Kiwis mates thats a new one on me the only thing they get together on is Pom bashing.:D :cool:

Don Nov 8th 2002 3:21 pm

Lucky Country? Well I loved it when I was in Australia (twice, nearly 4 months all together, admittedly mostly QLD and just a bit of Sidney. (Or should that be Sydney?!)

Cheers - Don

pommie bastard Nov 8th 2002 9:45 pm

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Lucky Country? Well I loved it when I was in Australia (twice, nearly 4 months all together, admittedly mostly QLD and just a bit of Sidney. (Or should that be Sydney?!)

Cheers - Don

I am sure you did good Sir thats the reason you choose not to live here,
being a Pom and also a Kiwi now ,will make the Aussies like you even more than they did before.:D :cool: :beer:

dotty Nov 9th 2002 12:48 am

****, I hate that phrase (Lucky Country), Lucky to be in drought?, Lucky to be isolated from rest of world?, lucky to earn bananas?, who the heck made that up?.

No dont tell me it was some Aussie who had never been out of Wangaratta.

sydneyrose Nov 9th 2002 3:17 am

Originally posted by dotty
****, I hate that phrase (Lucky Country), Lucky to be in drought?, Lucky to be isolated from rest of world?, lucky to earn bananas?, who the heck made that up?.

No it was Donald Horne, an oz academic who wrote a book called "The Lucky Country" in the mid 1960s. And yes it was meant to express irony.
I have not read the book for years, but it was meant as a challenge to australians to reflect on our traditional societal values both in terms of our history and in a changing world. His main theme was that oz as a nation had succeeded through luck rather than insightful planning. Rather a bleak view but it was meant to be an astringent challenge to conventional policy making at the time. Very much about changing the white australia policy, engaging with the asian region, independent foreign policy, a reassessment of identity etc It may be a little dated now, as many books from the 1960s are and I don't know that it helps much to understand oz of the 21 st century, but it caused a stir at the time. Unfortunately, to Horne's dismay, many newcomers (and some not so newcomers) took it literally and the term is misused and can still be used descriptively about oz. He really meant 'lucky' paradoxically.
New Zealand is a very different country to Oz in its landscape, history, its native people. A place was left in the oz constitution for the kiwis in 1900 at the time of oz federation, but the kiwis made the right decision to remain separate but allied.
In other words, the kiwi and the emu are not quite birds of a feather.

suebo Nov 9th 2002 6:41 am

Originally posted by dotty

Dotty, shut up or put up... I see you have no location. If your are in OZ..well get the heck out if you don't like it....that is all i have to say :( sad sad sad

dotty Nov 9th 2002 9:50 pm

Suebo - FORUM - area for discussion, different views from your own may be expressed here. If that offends you then only read your own posts!!

Paul Nov 9th 2002 10:22 pm

Originally posted by baldbutts
While you're on at Paul,see if he'll consider putting Lifestyle & Immigration forums back together

That's probably not going to happen. It's not just a case of combining lifestyle and immigration. It would be combining a usenet group with a local forum.

Usenet posts go out to a worldwide audience, most of which do not know of or care about this site or the topics related to it. The usenet group was created many years ago for the purpose of discussing immigration. The immigration process is only a small part of migrating to Australia. By creating a seperate forum, you now have a place for discussing all the non-immigration aspects of moving to Australia without fear of being flamed for semi off-topic posts.

Because of the huge and unregulated audience of usenet, the rules and etiquette for posting are far more strict than those of a web based forum such as this one. Even on this forum with only 6,000 members, we have our share of spam. Usenet has millions of readers. The strict usenet etiquette is the only way to keep the group on-topic and free of spam. Oldtime usenet readers don't think twice about firing off complaints to the posters ISP's. After a few of these, the ISP has no option but to cancel the newsfeed of the offender. We are already on our third provider in less than two years.

You just have to do a quick scan through the titles and see all the threads that are non-related to immigration, such as 'New Layouts Crap', or 'Amsterdam' or 'XBox (DVD)'.

However, if enough people want the local New Zealand and Australia forums combined, that is an option. However, this poll would be best directed at people who are going to New Zealand as it will be their forum that will disapear. One of the reasons they were split up was in response to numerous requests to do so. Whatever happens, there will always be somebody who doesn't like it.

At least you only have one immigration forum. Due to the complicated process of US immigration, their forums are further sub-divided into three.

suebo Nov 10th 2002 4:05 am

As far as I am concerned, it is the Lucky Country, lucky to be away from all the wars that are going on in the rest of the world. OZ is a laid back country, where there are more immigrants most, if not all other countries. So we must be doing something right. Doesn't sound like you like it there... so why are you staying:confused:

pommie bastard Nov 11th 2002 5:54 am

Originally posted by suebo
As far as I am concerned, it is the Lucky Country, lucky to be away from all the wars that are going on in the rest of the world. OZ is a laid back country, where there are more immigrants most, if not all other countries. So we must be doing something right. Doesn't sound like you like it there... so why are you staying:confused:

You are away from Australia now maybe when you return your views may have changed , I found that Americians were far more at ease with themselfs and know their place in the world unlike your Aussie.
Australia is the land of want the to be, no direction and does not learn from the downfalls of others a head in the sand life.
What comes across is just because this did not work elsewhere we know better and will do it anyway, not very well in most cases.

:D :cool: :beer: :beer:

Ceri Nov 11th 2002 11:54 am

Originally posted by suebo
Dotty, shut up or put up... I see you have no location. If your are in OZ..well get the heck out if you don't like it....that is all i have to say :( sad sad sad

Geeze someone rattled your cage today
Dotty is in brisbane if you care to read her posts, instead of attacking her.
Perhaps us people who live in Brisbane prefer to have "no location" :D....

P.S.. I've always regarded Ireland with the term "Lucky country"... oh well , Australia is not known for it's originality.

cheers:)

Regarding the Kiwi's... love 'em!

PPs... Talking about the Irish and Australia , and "lucky country" anyone see the rugby over the weekend :D ... good on you Ireland!!!!! they beat the wallabies...

oh and for the English... the pommes beat the all Blacks too.

suebo Nov 11th 2002 5:55 pm

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You are away from Australia now maybe when you return your views may have changed , I found that Americians were far more at ease with themselfs and know their place in the world unlike your Aussie.
Australia is the land of want the to be, no direction and does not learn from the downfalls of others a head in the sand life.
What comes across is just because this did not work elsewhere we know better and will do it anyway, not very well in most cases.

:D :cool: :beer: :beer:

I have been travelling in and out of OZ for the last 8 years, so I don't think I will ever change my POV. Whenever I go back, I have never found it hard to find a job, I always do temp work as I know I will be leaving again at any time, so I am always on a good wage.
As for Americans, I have plenty of friends here, so I can't really say anything too bad about the people...except that Americans are the ones with their heads in the sand. They have no idea where any other countries are, and don't know of anything else that goes on in the world, unless it is a war they are involved in. THe lifestyle here is very similar to my lifestyle in Perth. I just get on with my business and enjoy my weekends with my friends. Atleast in Australia you get world news and most people are aware what is happening in other countries. THe only way I find out things here is to read my online newspapers and by watching BBC America news.