Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lowes of Chester

Lowes of Chester

Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road
Default Lowes of Chester

I have instructed this company to move us to Cairns in July. They have been SO helpful. I cannot recommend them enough so far. The chappie I saw, steve Thomas, was so honest you couldn't possibly have gone amiss, although I would dearly love to take my wicker baskets.

As the rates have gone up recently to move across the sea to Oz, all in with 3 big bedrooms is £3.9K. Does this sound reasonable to everyone else????
Obviously it includes alol packing this end, and next to nothing the other.......

Anyway - any advice gratefully received.

Rachelle
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lowes of Chester

Hi
We paid £4,350 plus insurance of £1,100 covering us for £24,000 worth with Pickfords, for a 20ft container, from Cornwall to Cairns. So looks like a good deal doesn't it?

Re the insurance forms you need to fill out, ALWAYS read the SMALL PRINT and CLAUSES very carefully! Especially where high value items are concerned! We have just been 'caught' out on the way they word/layout their forms! Be warned!

Other than that - we could 'greet' you on your arrival in Cairns - just let us know if you would like that to happen! We had friends meet us and it was nice after travelling that distance just to be greeted with smiling faces!

Also, are you sorted out for the first month now? We have been looking around and it seems that a motel would be the cheapest option as they work on a day/week/month basis whereas some other places don't.

We stayed at a place called Trinity Links, in Whiterock for the first 3 months of arriving in Cairns. Have friends at Bentley Park, but no children of school age, have heard though that the other school you mentioned has quite a good reputation, we had the details from the for our youngest son, but he is going to T.A.F.E. instead.

Good luck - not long now!

Take care
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:16 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by racheybabe
I have instructed this company to move us to Cairns in July. They have been SO helpful. I cannot recommend them enough so far. The chappie I saw, steve Thomas, was so honest you couldn't possibly have gone amiss, although I would dearly love to take my wicker baskets.

As the rates have gone up recently to move across the sea to Oz, all in with 3 big bedrooms is £3.9K. Does this sound reasonable to everyone else????
Obviously it includes alol packing this end, and next to nothing the other.......

Anyway - any advice gratefully received.

Rachelle
When using a firm for removals check their trading status: are they Limited, Partnership, sole trader and do some back ground work in to them before hiring. If limited then check them out on the companies house website at www.companies-house.gov.uk. How long have they been trading? Have they filed their returns? Get a list of the Directors and then do a search on them to see if they have been involved in other companies that have gone under. If a Partnership sole trader do a bankruptcy search on the owners and check out where they live (if you can). Bankruptcy searches can be done for a fee of £4.50 for each name at The REgistry Trust Limited. Also make sure that the insurance is valid and as the thread above says ALWAYS read the small print, especially for exclusions. I work in consumer protection and hear of a number of cases where the insurance has been charged for but doesn't exist or companies have gone 'under' and people have lost all their possessions. Do as much background work as possible. It doesn't guarantee safe delivery but certainly goes someway to help.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi
We paid £4,350 plus insurance of £1,100 covering us for £24,000 worth with Pickfords, for a 20ft container, from Cornwall to Cairns. So looks like a good deal doesn't it?

Re the insurance forms you need to fill out, ALWAYS read the SMALL PRINT and CLAUSES very carefully! Especially where high value items are concerned! We have just been 'caught' out on the way they word/layout their forms! Be warned!

Other than that - we could 'greet' you on your arrival in Cairns - just let us know if you would like that to happen! We had friends meet us and it was nice after travelling that distance just to be greeted with smiling faces!

Also, are you sorted out for the first month now? We have been looking around and it seems that a motel would be the cheapest option as they work on a day/week/month basis whereas some other places don't.

We stayed at a place called Trinity Links, in Whiterock for the first 3 months of arriving in Cairns. Have friends at Bentley Park, but no children of school age, have heard though that the other school you mentioned has quite a good reputation, we had the details from the for our youngest son, but he is going to T.A.F.E. instead.

Good luck - not long now!

Take care

Cor blimey - Thank you for all your help

We have decided to rent a holiday house in Trinity Beach for a month as its by the beach, got a pool, 3 bedrooms etc etc. That way we thought it would be less stressful than in a hotel. We have so much to sort out when we get there, jobs, schools centrelink. we have rented a car (it came with the house!) so at least we will be mobile.

The house rental firm pick us up from the airport, but it would be lovely to meet you all after a couple of days.

Thanks for your input on schools too - I am touched

Thaxs Rachelle
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

No worries mate!

Have sent you a PM.

Gill

Originally Posted by racheybabe
Cor blimey - Thank you for all your help

We have decided to rent a holiday house in Trinity Beach for a month as its by the beach, got a pool, 3 bedrooms etc etc. That way we thought it would be less stressful than in a hotel. We have so much to sort out when we get there, jobs, schools centrelink. we have rented a car (it came with the house!) so at least we will be mobile.

The house rental firm pick us up from the airport, but it would be lovely to meet you all after a couple of days.

Thanks for your input on schools too - I am touched

Thaxs Rachelle