British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Low points in NZ SMC might be OK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/low-points-nz-smc-might-ok-197329/)

Jamie Smith Dec 17th 2003 9:40 am

Low points in NZ SMC might be OK

I've just counted up the 12 month approvals for Work and Skilled categories for the countries that are NOT defined as comparable to NZ.

Without the candidates from the non-comparable countries, numbers WILL be down.

Then I looked at the way the new points work:

Even if anyone from non-comparable countries has

a) Masters or PhD and
b) degree qualified spouse who speaks English IELTS 6.5,

then regardless of whether or not they've got relevant work experience, unless they've either

a) got a job offer, or
b) a NZ qualification, or
c) are working in NZ now

they don't get enough points.

From 25,000 to 34,000 applications are now going to run into difficulty. (depending of if you count decisions or cases received)

Of course many of those 34,000 WILL have job offers (when they closed GenSkills I think about 40% were culled who didn't have job offers.) Apply the same ratio to 25-34,000 and about 10-14,000 fewer people will qualify.

Even though about 70,000 used to apply in good years, at least 35,000 will not make it anyway as they were a long way short of the English threshhold (India/China), and now they need more bonus points too etc.

All up, I think we're looking at about 15-20,000 skilled/work applications next year if we're lucky, and about 10-15,000 family ones, so we'll be about 7-12,000 bodies under the upper limit.'

End result, I think Uk/comparable country people with just on or over 100 points might definitely be able to have a shot at things in some months.

Time will tell.

venrichard Dec 21st 2003 1:52 pm

If this is the case, NZ should take a close look at the rate of return by UK citizens. If Oz has 56% rate of return (based from an earlier thread), I'm sure NZ as at least 60%...especially after reading the "struggling with NZD1000/week" thread.

If NZ is really looking for a long term relationship with its migrants, it better treat other prospective migrants fairly. These are citizens from non NZ equivalent countries, the same people who I'm sure are more likely to stick it out with NZ through thick and thin.

Jamie Smith Dec 22nd 2003 7:38 am

A good question.

The figures are not entirely clear, but NZ is benefiting from a general reduction in people going to UK for permanent or long term (no idea if this is kiwis on OE or Uk going home), reducing 15,000 to 13,000 to 11,000 over last 12 month periods to Nov 03.

The arrivals are increasing, 16,000 19,000 21,000 over same period,

net gain is 1,300 6,000 and 10,000, but it's not clear if fresh arrivals ar going home or if it's new departures to the UK who were not born in UK. I think the figures are there for citizenship base to pattersn in migration, but I haven't got the time to dig right now.

That inflow might be why NZIS squandered a few Uk applications with July policy changes that nobbled a few UK people - had a few spare applicants lying around...

Anyway, I'm dying to see the results of the first draw under SMC.

Cheers

evelynne_r Dec 22nd 2003 7:12 pm

Hello,

I've just lodged my Expression of Interest and am curious about the first draw too! Any idea when this will take place?

Thanks

Evelynne

Pollster Dec 22nd 2003 8:47 pm

End of Jan, Evelynne - so you have a bit of a wait! :(

craigstacey Dec 22nd 2003 10:28 pm

My parents application went in a couple of weeks back under family catagory - any idea if this will get looked at quicker due to the changes in other categories?

Jamie Smith Dec 23rd 2003 3:22 am

No, they have quota for each category, with SMC/Business taking up major share. Main focus is on making sure SMC works well, so maybe they diverted some resources there temporarily.

Their new Customised Service initiative will have more impact on speed, but only if case was lodged after July 2 2003.

Have a good 'un

craigstacey Dec 23rd 2003 7:05 am

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
No, they have quota for each category, with SMC/Business taking up major share. Main focus is on making sure SMC works well, so maybe they diverted some resources there temporarily.

Their new Customised Service initiative will have more impact on speed, but only if case was lodged after July 2 2003.

Have a good 'un
Cheers Jamie

Whats the "Customised Service initiative " then?
Their application was lodged in London which we were told was the "quickest" place.... Hope so as I can't put my application in until they're safely in NZ as my brother's sponsoring both of us under family cat.:D

Jamie Smith Dec 23rd 2003 10:36 am

How long is a piece of string?

It covers many areas, but mainly involves keeping in touch before lodgement, during the process and after approval.

All I have seen in the business side is that cases are allocated to officers right away. Instead of cases sitting in a queue that nobody "owned" the case officers have their own personal queues to manage and be held accountable for.

They'll also send you a letter of acknowledgement and name of case officer up front. Gives you someone to badger ......

With their new discretions, good officers can weigh things up and approve on the spot - we had an LTBV through in just 2 days.

Where cases were lodged before CS was introduced, they'll manage those cases under inferior system. It's only business cases that get sent direct to Wellington, all others go via nearest office. I think under SMC they receive at local office overseas, send to NZ for loading, then send back to foreign country for processing - if invited to apply.

There are other changes but those are the only ones I've seen.

Originally posted by craigstacey
Cheers Jamie

Whats the "Customised Service initiative " then?
Their application was lodged in London which we were told was the "quickest" place.... Hope so as I can't put my application in until they're safely in NZ as my brother's sponsoring both of us under family cat.:D