Reload this Page >

Low Income Healthcare Concession Card

Low Income Healthcare Concession Card

Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low Income Healthcare Concession Card

Hello guys,

I arrived in Australia this March. I have a permanent residency visa but I am currently on a very low income but need some healthcare. Can I apply for a low income healthcare concession card or do I need to wait the 2 year waiting period like with other Centrelink benefits? If so, are there any exceptions?

Thank you in advance...

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low Income Healthcare Concession Card

Originally Posted by ian27
Hello guys,

I arrived in Australia this March. I have a permanent residency visa but I am currently on a very low income but need some healthcare. Can I apply for a low income healthcare concession card or do I need to wait the 2 year waiting period like with other Centrelink benefits? If so, are there any exceptions?

Thank you in advance...

Ian
Hi Ian as far as I'm aware you can apply for a healthcare card now, definately worth paying the medicare office a visit or centrelink to check. X
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hello guys,

Thank you in advance...

Ian
As Centrelink are the ones who provide ALL concession cards, I think you may have difficulty in getting around the two year rule.

Concession and Health Care Cards:

Centrelink issues three types of concession and health care cards which provide a range of benefits to cardholders.

* For low income earners, you may be able to get a Health Care Card to help with the cost of medicines and a limited number of concessions.
* For low income earners (receiving selected payments), you may be able to get a Pensioner Concession Card to help with the cost of medicines and a range of concessions.
* For people who are of Age Pension age but do not qualify for the pension, you may be able to get a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

You must meet residence requirements to get a concession card.

All three cards entitle you to reduced cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS). A Health Care Card and Pensioner Concession card also entitle you to a range of additional subsidies including health, transport and educational concessions. These concessions may vary from state to state.
from Centrelink website...http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...conc_cards.htm

Have you actually approached them personally to see if you are eligible? http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...rds_lic.htm#do

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 8th 2008 at 11:14 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Hey guys,

Well I have approached Centrelink twice before... The first time they didn't know if I was eligible, and the second time they said they didn't think so but they may be wrong, and then today my oral surgeon said I should be able to get one... So it seems a case of the blind leading the blind...

If I can't get one, do you know how I can go about getting two impacted wisdom teeth removed on the public system? The oral surgeon said today that it will cost me more than $1000 to have the surgery, and as I don't have the money, I should go through the public system instead. However, I have absolutely no idea how to do this...

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated...

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

By the way glittababe - I checked out your website/portfolio, very nice work. Keep it up!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:47 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Well I have approached Centrelink twice before... The first time they didn't know if I was eligible, and the second time they said they didn't think so but they may be wrong, and then today my oral surgeon said I should be able to get one... So it seems a case of the blind leading the blind...

If I can't get one, do you know how I can go about getting two impacted wisdom teeth removed on the public system? The oral surgeon said today that it will cost me more than $1000 to have the surgery, and as I don't have the money, I should go through the public system instead. However, I have absolutely no idea how to do this...

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated...

Ian
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are over 100 000 adults eligible for free dental health care in the Brisbane region alone.
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rbwh/se...ral_health.asp
.... and you still have the problem of not having that valuable concession card issued by Centrelink
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/oralhea...ices/adult.asp
.... waiting time from the official website can be up to or over three years
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/oralhea...al_clinics.asp (link included to clinics).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are over 100 000 adults eligible for free dental health care in the Brisbane region alone.
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rbwh/se...ral_health.asp
.... and you still have the problem of not having that valuable concession card issued by Centrelink
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/oralhea...ices/adult.asp
.... waiting time from the official website can be up to or over three years
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/oralhea...al_clinics.asp (link included to clinics).
Oh yeah, that ain't good... Well I guess if I had to wait 3 years I would be eligible for the concession card... Hahaha....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:03 pm

Oh yeah, that ain't good... Well I guess if I had to wait 3 years I would be eligible for the concession card... Hahaha....
..... but by then you'd only have another two years to be on the waiting list.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
..... but by then you'd only have another two years to be on the waiting list.
Well actually by then I would hope not to be broke anymore, and wouldn't need it anyway. Hehehe.....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

When we first arrived (PR Visa) we were allowed a HCC immediately but we were on the full rate of FTB, until we got jobs.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
When we first arrived (PR Visa) we were allowed a HCC immediately but we were on the full rate of FTB, until we got jobs.
What is FTB?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

hi Ian , after arriving epecting nothing i was surprised to get HCC.Defclain it as it gives hidden benefits of all sorts of day to day costs
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daunted
hi Ian , after arriving epecting nothing i was surprised to get HCC.Defclain it as it gives hidden benefits of all sorts of day to day costs
Ah cool! So how did you get that? And what is Defclain?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

What is FTB?
Sorry, Family Tax Benefit
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

By the way glittababe - I checked out your website/portfolio, very nice work. Keep it up!
Hi Ian, just found this - thank you very much XXX