Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

low cost airlines

low cost airlines

Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice
Default low cost airlines

has anyone heard of any low cost airlines starting to 'do' australia?

I heard on the news some time ago that the airlines where going to start low cost travel to oz, but i havent heard anything since.

Anyone have any inside info!

Beth
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: low cost airlines

Originally Posted by bethandneil

I heard on the news some time ago that the airlines where going to start low cost travel to oz, but i havent heard anything since.

Beth
There were some cheap fares to Hong Kong a while back... have you googled it already? I think they were up at about £75 - course you'd still have to pay for the onward part to Australia, but it might be worth a look.
Don't think there are any easyjet type flights - probably a good thing, they're awful enough for Euro-hops!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

We heard this at the beginning of the year, it was with United Arab Emmirates, they are thinking of doing a flight for around £400.00, not too sure when or if it is going to go ahead though.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bethandneil

Beth
Sorry to contradict the last poster but the actual airline running that is called Oasis Hong Kong, based in HK. They only started flying on 26 Oct, with the cheapest seats at £75 single. They are thus very new and still learning.

I looked into it, but the cost of the flight from HK to Aus (Sydney) was too expensive as an onward trip versus doing the normal flight. Plus, the £75 seats (mon 10% of each flight) are quick to sell out. And the £75 is plus taxes - so say £175 or so, which when you add it all up does not make it worth it.

A year or so ago, Thomson Fly did charter flights to Aus over the Xmas period. Some of these were great prices - about £300 return or £600 for business class. They flew to Perth & Sydney - however, the company have now stopped these as there was not enough demand. Finding out info on this was almost impossible, so I suspect it's as much their own fault for not advertising it.

Bottom line is the cheapest at the moment continues to be the standard bunch - BA, Qantas, Singapore, Cathay etc etc. All varying regularly and all depends on the time of year.

AFAIK there is nothing in the pipeline for cheap flights as yet, but perhaps one day... I guess the big issue is that when you can get a flight for £600, versus £150 for Europe, the savings are already being made. It's hard to see how they can get much cheaper on a regular basis with surcharges, fuel etc continually rising.

Andy
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Oasis link

http://www.oasishongkong.com/gb/en/home.aspx
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:15 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon that once the A380 Airbus gets into full swing then we might see some prices come tumbling, and we might even get bit a pricewar going on.

these planes will be able to fit well over 400 passengers on board and that aint gonna be too cramped when you see the size of these beasts.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
I reckon that once the A380 Airbus gets into full swing then we might see some prices come tumbling, and we might even get bit a pricewar going on.
Let's hope so!