Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lovely day in UK

lovely day in UK

Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

harvey2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking lovely day in UK

If I ever get to Oz, days like today I will definately miss! I have just been to the village park to fly my kite! The sky is blue not a cloud to be seen, the sun is shining and the dog is loving the snow, sheer bliss!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: lovely day in UK

Originally posted by harvey2000
If I ever get to Oz, days like today I will definately miss! I have just been to the village park to fly my kite! The sky is blue not a cloud to be seen, the sun is shining and the dog is loving the snow, sheer bliss!
Whatever youse inter :

Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

harvey2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not quite that extreme!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:57 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I Can't wait to get to OZ after a 40 min journey took me 4 1/2 hours last night. Thankfully they decided to close my school so i ddin't have to experience the horror of the roads this morning. SToke-on-Trent had extreme weather yesterday afternoon and brought the county to a standstill.

I won't miss this sort of weather but i will miss the crisp snow and being the first person to make footprints in it'! I know the dog will miss the snow too.......but driving in it a different story!

Katy
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:05 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by katyjoy
I Can't wait to get to OZ after a 40 min journey took me 4 1/2 hours last night. Thankfully they decided to close my school so i ddin't have to experience the horror of the roads this morning. SToke-on-Trent had extreme weather yesterday afternoon and brought the county to a standstill.

I won't miss this sort of weather but i will miss the crisp snow and being the first person to make footprints in it'! I know the dog will miss the snow too.......but driving in it a different story!

Katy
Thredbo: cold white stuff
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Our village was picture postcard beautiful this morning. 4x4 kicks ass in the snow & ice!, so no problem getting to work.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by harvey2000
Make that lovely day in Oxon eh! Looking out this South of Scotland window the sky is grey, the next snow shower is on the way and the central heating is working overtime to cope with barely above zero temperatures and it didn't seem too clever in Stoke on Trent.

Here's a true situation that somewhat irks me. Did you know that the temperature to trigger off cold weather payments to pensioners is higher in London than it is in Scotland? The (south of England) argument goes something like, they are used to it, we aren't so we get the payment at a higher temperature. Just had to mention that one when I got an opportunity.

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I too will miss days like this. I have just came back from taking our two dogs to the field to play in the snow, they loved it! The sun is shining, no clouds in the sky, but I nearly fell over on the ice three times.

And, ..... got the day off work as they have closed the school, yeeesssss.

Mandy
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scrawni
I too will miss days like this. I have just came back from taking our two dogs to the field to play in the snow, they loved it! The sun is shining, no clouds in the sky, but I nearly fell over on the ice three times.

And, ..... got the day off work as they have closed the school, yeeesssss.

Mandy
The sun has shone here all day in the peak district .The hills look beautiful covered in snow. A bit cold and icy but I did not have to go to work anyway

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:45 pm
Go Banana's !!

mmmm...........Hubby been out with little'n all afternoon sledging.......

The sun is out
the sky is blue
there's not a cloud to spoil the view
but it's raining (de da diddly dum)
raining in my heart.

This I know I will miss, even though I didn't go, the look on little'n's face when she came home with a wonky hat, red cheeks and snow on her eye lashes will stay with me. Should have got the digi out and taken a pic.

Will make sure we go on a least one skiing holiday !!!

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:54 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Curious about this as my understanding is payments are triggered when average temps drop to 0 degree c or below for 7 days or longer in both scotland and england/wales.

I stand to be corrected but this govt website suggests there is no difference :

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...er-payment.asp

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Originally posted by OzTennis
Make that lovely day in Oxon eh! Looking out this South of Scotland window the sky is grey, the next snow shower is on the way and the central heating is working overtime to cope with barely above zero temperatures and it didn't seem too clever in Stoke on Trent.

Here's a true situation that somewhat irks me. Did you know that the temperature to trigger off cold weather payments to pensioners is higher in London than it is in Scotland? The (south of England) argument goes something like, they are used to it, we aren't so we get the payment at a higher temperature. Just had to mention that one when I got an opportunity.

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis

The cold weather payment is only payable to those on Income support (or the pension equivalent)
ALL pensioners have already recd their winter fuel payment of £100 per person/£200 per couple
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:23 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

but is the trigger different for england/wales and scotland ?

Originally posted by S Oldfield
The cold weather payment is only payable to those on Income support (or the pension equivalent)
ALL pensioners have already recd their winter fuel payment of £100 per person/£200 per couple
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:35 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by katyjoy

Katy
This sounds like us last year in Oz when we were trapped in Sydney trying to get back to the Central Coast (about an hour journey). Extreme heat, wind and yes the bush fires. Oh joy. And don't forget the smoke that you breathe in for weeks or the black ash falling on your clean clothes. Ripper!

Then try and drive with Australians in the rain (something they are not used to), they still drive at 150 km down the freeway (110 km max limit) with no lights on. Fair dinkum!

Then the hail storms we have had this week . . . . big chucks out of your car. Holey Moley!

Then I can rattle on about humidity and doing supermarket shopping, dragaing the trolley in the heat. Just crap!

Oh the joys of weather! Not putting anyone off, just an observation!

Good luck with your move to Oz.
Merlot

Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:06 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Merlot
This sounds like us last year in Oz when we were trapped in Sydney trying to get back to the Central Coast (about an hour journey). Extreme heat, wind and yes the bush fires. Oh joy. And don't forget the smoke that you breathe in for weeks or the black ash falling on your clean clothes. Ripper!

Then try and drive with Australians in the rain (something they are not used to), they still drive at 150 km down the freeway (110 km max limit) with no lights on. Fair dinkum!

Then the hail storms we have had this week . . . . big chucks out of your car. Holey Moley!

Then I can rattle on about humidity and doing supermarket shopping, dragaing the trolley in the heat. Just crap!

Oh the joys of weather! Not putting anyone off, just an observation!

Good luck with your move to Oz.
Merlot

Don't worry Merlot i know all about hot weather in Oz i am after all the mad aussie out of this dynamic duo. I do worry bout the hubby though and how he'll cope. ME i am looking forward to it, ok not tooo hot but not as bloody cold as it has been over here the last few days.

Good luck to you to matey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.