Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Love this place but why is there no annual MOT test

Love this place but why is there no annual MOT test

Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Love this place but why is there no annual MOT test

It is now four and a half years since we were in the UK and this may just be a Gold Coast/Queensland thing but it would be interesting to know if the same thing applies in other states and the UK now.

EXCESSIVE VEHICLE NOISE.

It seems that everybody under the age of 25 has a need to modify the exhaust on their vehicle even if it is a 12 year old Barina so that it is as loud and anti social as possible.

When the exhaust started blowing on my daughters Commodore she wanted it left as it was because it sounded cool and told me stories of friends drilling holes, cutting pipes etc to get a similar effect. I may be an old git but when she was at home and her friends came to visit you could hear the awful din several minutes (slight exaggeration) before they pulled up outside the house.

When I took the Commodore to be repaired and asked questions the answers were yes it is illegal and dangerous but there is basically no one to enforce the law between the Gold Coast and Brisbane so you will get away with it.

Is it because there is no equivalent of an MOT in Queensland that people over the age of 25 with poorly maintained crap cars also cause a similar nuisance.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Re: Love this place but why is there no annual MOT test

Not on the Gold Coast mate, not on the Gold Coast
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Kids today, eh? Imagine modifying your car to make it louder or faster. I mean really, who has ever heard of such a thing?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Kids today, eh? Imagine modifying your car to make it louder or faster. I mean really, who has ever heard of such a thing?

You have to be living in Queensland. Poorly maintained dangerous cars with no mechanism in place to get them off the road, surely there is nothing wrong with that!

Last edited by neil248; Oct 15th 2010 at 11:03 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
You have to be living in Queensland. Poorly maintained dangerous car, surely there is nothing wrong with that!
No, I don't have to be living in Queensland. We have teenagers with poorly maintained loud cars here in WA too. Just like they had in the decades before this one. Kids and souped up cars have gone together for ages.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

It must be me getting old then as I did not notice the noise when I was younger.

I now specifically remember getting disgusted looks for the Bruce Springsteen blaring from my car on one occasion so maybe double standards.

Still think some kind of annual MOT test in Queensland would make life more pleasant and safe.

Last edited by neil248; Oct 15th 2010 at 11:45 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It must be me getting old then as I did not notice the noise when I was younger.

I now specifically remember getting disgusted looks for the Bruce Springsteen blaring from my car on one occasion so maybe the pot calling the kettle black!

Still think some kind of annual MOT test in Queensland would make life more pleasant and safe.
I take your point and one I have raised myself.

Being an ex-porting-and-polishing-k&n-filtering-mongoose-exhaust guy I am in position to complain about the actions of the 'kids today' (who seem to be quite old, in fact, see the Bathurst 1000 crowd ...).

BUT the best benefit for me would be correctly adjusted headlights, living out in the sticks it's a right pain to adjust to the myriad of faulty lights that you confront, and it's a danger to other road-users.

No MOT has probably kept our MG on the road for a while and my OH would kill me if we stopped running that so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh No, the subject of lights, either none at all or full beam and fog lights on bearing down on you!!!!!!

Again in Queensland you will often follow a car at night with no rear lights as no MOT test means that as they fail one by one you eventually end up with none!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

On a safety note regarding poorly maintained cars as far as I am aware a car with very worn tyres will stop more quickly in the dry than one with full tread so on that note Queensland is good for road safety.

Only problem being it rains a lot here
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:50 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a safety note regarding poorly maintained cars as far as I am aware a car with very worn tyres will stop more quickly in the dry than one with full tread so on that note Queensland is good for road safety.

Only problem being it rains a lot here
Would only get ripped off by MOT rorters
Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what you mean! I said to a friend here once that their car sounded like they needed to get the exhaust checked at a garage (and I was serious, it sounded terrible). They told me no, they had had it modified to sound like that!!!! WHY??? why would you do that??
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:04 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The kids that are into tuning would just swap in and swap out a deliberately dodgy exhaust. They can still be defected at any time by cops.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago my RX3 need a new muffler. I was going overseas and my eldest son, apprentice mechanic, said he would put a new one on for my return. He did! Replaced the lot with a sports system that I swear could be heard 100kms away!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You can't reregister the car here in NSW without having a MOT.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

same applies in Queensland but the system so I have heard is not perfect especially if you are keeping the car and not selling it on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.