Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Love Affair with Melbourne......

A Love Affair with Melbourne......

Old Mar 31st 2003, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Shiralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Love Affair with Melbourne......

I don't usually post on this forum as I often feel too jaded on my opinions of Australia after spending ten years here but I'm nursing a hangover and feel like a rant.
My husband and I got a babysitter in over the weekend and went out for night in Perth. When we did this in Melbourne there was always much anticipation on the taxi-ride in as to what the night would hold. We always felt that Melbourne was a city on the move, there were things happening, seedy or not, all over the city that even though you were not a part of them it was still good to know that it was out there. I realise that Perth is a much smaller city but on our taxi-ride in it felt like there was nothing happening, the newness of the city gives it a sterile feel of all style and no substance. Perth feels like a stop-over city, for the young it's a stop-over before going on to more exciting things, for the old it's a stop-over before higher ground. It feels stagnant and at 31 I feel far too young for here.
Before we came we were told how great a place it was to bring up kids but if my kids grow up to be anything like their parents they will wither here and be desperate to leave as soon as they are old enough, there would be nothing to keep them.
In Melbourne there was also a much better appreciation of each others culturally diversity, a love of a new country but also a pride in your country of birth. Here in Perth there seems to be a smug mutual appreciation society thing happening where pockets of Brits get together to slap each other on the back and declare time and again how lucky they were to escape gloomy old Britain, all the while living in non-descript Northern suburban sprawls, dull houses in dull housing estates surrounded by McDonalds, Shell and KFC, devoid of any greenery whatsoever, and which could actually be in any city anywhere in the world as they all look the same. I have never lost pride in my homeland and feel it more in this time of War so to continually hear about how "Perth is the greatest city in the world" makes me want to get the hell out of here pronto (which we actually are doing in a few months time!). The isolation also adds a pervading sense of claustrophobia to the extreme ennui.
I apologise to all the expectant migrants as I was one once and remember the excitement so I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone but to all those coming to Perth......please keep your options open, it's not for everyone.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Love Affair with Melbourne......

Originally posted by Shiralee
. Here in Perth there seems to be a smug mutual appreciation society thing happening where pockets of Brits get together to slap each other on the back and declare time and again how lucky they were to escape gloomy old Britain, all the while living in non-descript Northern suburban sprawls, dull houses in dull housing estates surrounded by McDonalds, Shell and KFC, devoid of any greenery whatsoever, and which could actually be in any city anywhere in the world as they all look the same. I have never lost pride in my homeland and feel it more in this time of War so to continually hear about how "Perth is the greatest city in the world" makes me want to get the hell out of here pronto (which we actually are doing in a few months time!). The isolation also adds a pervading sense of claustrophobia to the extreme ennui.
I apologise to all the expectant migrants as I was one once and remember the excitement so I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone but to all those coming to Perth......please keep your options open, it's not for everyone.

You have written a good account of the fair City of Perth and of the kind of Brit who lives here it will go over the heads of the deluded but I did feel you have been very truthful .
Since my friends here have heard we are giving up on the place its a case of backs to wall and defend Perth at all costs even though they were whinging a lot more than us , its seen as treason to go back it might go round that all is not roses in the worlds most perfect City .
Even Aussie friends who have lived over East think thats its a retirement home for Poms and a faceless nowhere.

Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I don't usually post on this forum as I often feel too jaded on my opinions of Australia after spending ten years here but I'm nursing a hangover and feel like a rant.
My husband and I got a babysitter in over the weekend and went out for night in Perth. When we did this in Melbourne there was always much anticipation on the taxi-ride in as to what the night would hold. We always felt that Melbourne was a city on the move, there were things happening, seedy or not, all over the city that even though you were not a part of them it was still good to know that it was out there. I realise that Perth is a much smaller city but on our taxi-ride in it felt like there was nothing happening, the newness of the city gives it a sterile feel of all style and no substance. Perth feels like a stop-over city, for the young it's a stop-over before going on to more exciting things, for the old it's a stop-over before higher ground. It feels stagnant and at 31 I feel far too young for here.
Before we came we were told how great a place it was to bring up kids but if my kids grow up to be anything like their parents they will wither here and be desperate to leave as soon as they are old enough, there would be nothing to keep them.
In Melbourne there was also a much better appreciation of each others culturally diversity, a love of a new country but also a pride in your country of birth. Here in Perth there seems to be a smug mutual appreciation society thing happening where pockets of Brits get together to slap each other on the back and declare time and again how lucky they were to escape gloomy old Britain, all the while living in non-descript Northern suburban sprawls, dull houses in dull housing estates surrounded by McDonalds, Shell and KFC, devoid of any greenery whatsoever, and which could actually be in any city anywhere in the world as they all look the same. I have never lost pride in my homeland and feel it more in this time of War so to continually hear about how "Perth is the greatest city in the world" makes me want to get the hell out of here pronto (which we actually are doing in a few months time!). The isolation also adds a pervading sense of claustrophobia to the extreme ennui.
Don't try Brisbane either then. if I were you Do you know I've had one pom here ( a londoner actually) saying to an Aussie in work - there are no beaches in the UK - I overheard this conversation, and went right over and pulled him up on it, idiot!.

I've never been to perth or melbourne - but I sort of understand this conversation because it is the difference between people from Newcastle and Brisbane (Brisbane I dislike - idiot's, Newcastle I enjoyed myself there - the people are a different kettle of fish - down to earth, Brisbane - my gawd - it's like "aren't we the best ever")
Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:54 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Live in a different city and different country (so really not sure why i'm replying to this!) but I can relate to what you're saying. At the moment in Vancouver, Canada, and am somewhat tired of hearing endless smug references to how I am living in the most beautiful city in the world, when spend all my days in city sprawl which could be any city in north america, surrounded by the same seven/elevens, McDonalds, take out restaurants etc etc...Yes its a nice spot, but seeing the mountains off in the distance a few times a week when its not raining does not make this the greatest city in the world....
Particularly feeling out of place at the moment with the war going on, feels like everytime i get on the bus people see the small union jack i have on my daypack, and start in on some rant at me, mouthing off at me about the war...i tried not to get involved with people, but extremely frustrating to hear some of the crap that gets said....will simply say that feel very proud of the contribution our troops are making right now.
Don't want to sound too negative about Vancouver, but some days it really bothers me that I'm here!
Old Mar 31st 2003, 6:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

What an honest post from Shiralee (please don't spoil it meg and followers) - this is his/her's view/experience , and it's refreshing to read something like this without the usuall Cr*p posted by people who are living in cuckoo land,, never been here, or have only been here for a couple of months
I really enjoyed reading your post.

Don't feel so bad about it - Australia is not working out for you, plenty others feel the same (some people will love it)(I laugh sometimes at the rubbish posted here - it's not worth even replying to them, you can tell they have no clue )

I've been here 6 years - tell me how did you put up with 10 years!!! - no, I'm making a joke about it - but you are a braver person than I.

All the best to you
Old Mar 31st 2003, 8:34 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Good luck with everything Shiralee.
We become ex-expats ourselves in 2 and a half weeks time.
Cant wait to get back to the UK and the wonderful life we left behind for a very different couple of years.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 9:03 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Brisbane I dislike - idiot's
As a Brisbane resident and born and bred Australian I thank you for your kind words.

My kids, and wife, and parents, work colleagues, inlaws and all my friends are also pleased by your unbiased and insightful assessment...I guess you met us all in a past life or something?...sorry for that...back to my idiot family...
Old Mar 31st 2003, 10:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Goodness Gracious Me

Here in Perth there seems to be a smug mutual appreciation society thing happening where pockets of Brits get together to slap each other on the back and declare time and again how lucky they were to escape gloomy old Britain, all the while living in non-descript Northern suburban sprawls, dull houses in dull housing estates surrounded by McDonalds, Shell and KFC, devoid of any greenery whatsoever, and which could actually be in any city anywhere in the world as they all look the same. I have never lost pride in my homeland and feel it more in this time of War so to continually hear about how "Perth is the greatest city in the world" makes me want to get the hell out of here pronto (which we actually are doing in a few months time!). The isolation also adds a pervading sense of claustrophobia to the extreme ennui.
From New Delhi to Darjeeling,
I have done my share of healing,
And I've never yet been beaten or outboxed,
I remember that with one jab
Of my needle in the Punjab
How I cleared up beriberi
And the dreaded dysentery,
But your complaint has got me really foxed.

My initial diagnosis
Rules out measles and thrombosis,
Sleeping sickness and, as far as I can tell,
Influenza, inflammation,
Whooping cough and night starvation,
And you'll be so glad to hear
That both your eyeballs are so clear
That I can positively swear that you are well,
Ja-ja, ja-ja-ja-ja.

Goodness Gracious Me

Last edited by Megalania; Mar 31st 2003 at 10:37 am.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sadly I agree with shiralee. Why the heck do people come here to live in some soulless housing estate, hundreds of houses really all the same, surrounded by 6ft barracades to try to keepout the noise. Drive to Brisbane, the estates off the highway with 3m fences, thousands of roofs and not a tree in sight. And the weekly thrill, a trip to Maccas, or KFC. There are some very bored and boring people here. If thats emigrating to paradise then I,m confused, but what is the first thing most pommies do dash off and buy the first house in the first estate they see because it is big.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Florida_03
As a Brisbane resident and born and bred Australian I thank you for your kind words.

My kids, and wife, and parents, work colleagues, inlaws and all my friends are also pleased by your unbiased and insightful assessment...I guess you met us all in a past life or something?...sorry for that...back to my idiot family...
Oh.... so I'm as just as unbiased as you are with your opinion on the UK. Works two ways you know

Cheers

P.S whatever you say, I personally find a lot of people in Brisbane "up themselves" , and I find people in Newcastle ( in NSW) more friendly and down to earth. Yes this being "genralistic", BUT it's not to say all Brisbanites are up themselves (I have friends here who are born in Brisbane like yourself - and I'm not saying anything different to what I say in front of them) , and not each and every one Newcastlers are friendly and down to earth
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:35 am
Not here

Oh.... so I'm as just as unbiased as you are with your opinion on the UK. Works two ways you know

Cheers

P.S whatever you say, I personally find a lot of people in Brisbane "up themselves" , and I find people in Newcastle ( in NSW) more friendly and down to earth. Yes this being "genralistic", BUT it's not to say all Brisbanites are up themselves (I have friends here who are born in Brisbane like yourself - and I'm not saying anything different to what I say in front of them) , and not each and every one Newcastlers are friendly and down to earth
Whatever I say??...You're the only one being abusive...and calling a whole city "idiots" is abusive...

And as for unbiased I just stated what I thought of the beaches...I have never slagged off the UK in any way...quite like it really...but you can feel smug in your generalisations of people without feeling any regret...fine...tells me a lot...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Whatever I say??...You're the only one being abusive...and calling a whole city "idiots" is abusive...

And as for unbiased I just stated what I thought of the beaches...I have never slagged off the UK in any way...quite like it really...but you can feel smug in your generalisations of people without feeling any regret...fine...tells me a lot...
Florida - calm down... you are being very "Brisbanite" today, lol, take a look who I was calling an idiot - I was calling the londoner pom an idiot... geeze!

And you wonder why I dislike Brisbane! get a grip. Again I say people from Newcastle are more down to earth - they don't get their knickers in a twist.

Below is my quote about the idiot, I was calling the londoner an idiot!:

" Don't try Brisbane either then. if I were you Do you know I've had one pom here ( a londoner actually) saying to an Aussie in work - there are no beaches in the UK - I overheard this conversation, and went right over and pulled him up on it, idiot!."

cheers

P.S
I just went back to my first post, and yes I did say Brisbane - idiots in my reply quote: "Brisbane I dislike - idiot's, Newcastle I enjoyed myself there - the people are a different kettle of fish - down to earth, Brisbane - my gawd - it's like "aren't we the best ever"

But still you really are getting your knickers in a twist! I call English people "b*stards" too (a lot of welsh people do!) - but this is friendly banter! - get a grip, you are very easily upset, and sorry if I find Brisbane people are not down to earth. I must try harder to accept that they are "different" and not "idiots"

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 1st 2003 at 4:00 am.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

...I have never slagged off the UK in any way...quite like it really...
If you are indeed an Aussie I hope you alter your post to exclude this statement , its may upset the Dreamers that a nice person like yourself can like the UK.
Take this as a yellow card , please think of the good people on the boat right now on the way to utopia .
Insults are fine even expected after all better to slag a Pom or lovely Welsh girl than slag Australia.
PS dont think much of your GPS work on the Yank missiles very iffy.

Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:55 am
Not here

Don't try Brisbane either then. if I were you Do you know I've had one pom here ( a londoner actually) saying to an Aussie in work - there are no beaches in the UK - I overheard this conversation, and went right over and pulled him up on it, idiot!.

I've never been to perth or melbourne - but I sort of understand this conversation because it is the difference between people from Newcastle and Brisbane (Brisbane I dislike - idiot's, Newcastle I enjoyed myself there - the people are a different kettle of fish - down to earth, Brisbane - my gawd - it's like "aren't we the best ever")
Sorry must get my reading fixed...I swear it says...

"(Brisbane I dislike - idiot's, Newcastle I enjoyed myself there - the people are a different kettle of fish - down to earth, Brisbane - my gawd - it's like "aren't we the best ever")"

...must have got it wrong...sorry again...

Also sorry PB will work on those GPS algorithms tonight...must be that Northern hemisphere...Southern hemisphere thing...never did understand that...something to do with...ah doesn't matter...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 4:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Sorry must get my reading fixed...I swear it says...

"(Brisbane I dislike - idiot's, Newcastle I enjoyed myself there - the people are a different kettle of fish - down to earth, Brisbane - my gawd - it's like "aren't we the best ever")"

...must have got it wrong...sorry again...

Also sorry PB will work on those GPS algorithms tonight...must be that Northern hemisphere...Southern hemisphere thing...never did understand that...something to do with...ah doesn't matter...
read my last post - I edited it .. added PS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.