British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Lots of questions-who can answer??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/lots-questions-who-can-answer-109166/)

princef Jul 3rd 2002 7:16 am

Lots of questions-who can answer???

Could anyone please let me know the answers to the following questions as soon as possible.

1.If one’s ‘general skilled independent’ (IT personnel) application is being processed at an Australian High Commission overseas (lodged before Nov 1st 2001), are the medical examination reports always sent to Australia before a decision is taken by the overseas mission?
2.How long does it take for Australia to send a reply to the overseas mission regarding the medical examinations from the date that they receive them?
3.What is the next step after medicals and police clearances are done?
4.Are interviews compulsory for all applicants applying under the ‘skilled independent’ (IT personnel) category for migration to Australia? If not, in what instances are applicants called for interviews?
5.Approximately how much time (weeks) is given by DIMA for an applicant to attend the interview?
6.Is it only the principal applicant who is interviewed or all family members included in the application?
7.Is the permanent residence visa stamped on the passports by the Australian High Commission overseas or else is it stamped only after landing in Australia?
8.If a permanent residence visa is not stamped on the passport of the applicant what type of a visa is given to enter Australia?
9.How much time is given by DIMA for an applicant (IT personnel) to enter Australia after the visa is granted?

Thanks in advance.

Princef

Rdarby Jul 4th 2002 7:20 am

Re: Lots of questions-who can answer???

princef <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Could anyone please let me know the answers to the following questions as soon as
    > possible.
    >
    > 1.If one's ‘general skilled independent' (IT personnel) application is being
    > processed at an Australian High Commission overseas (lodged before Nov 1st 2001),
    > are the medical examination reports always sent to Australia before a decision is
    > taken by the overseas mission?

AHC in Pretoria says they all get processed in Aidenlaide. You have to send it there.

> 2.How long does it take for Australia to send a reply to the overseas mission
    > regarding the medical examinations from the date that they receive them?

Depends. Took mine 4 months. Some people over a year.

> 3.What is the next step after medicals and police clearances are done?

You wait. And wait. Then get a letter saying you have been granted a visa. They will
then give a date for the first entry, based on a year after the medicals were
recieved. Then off you go to get it into your passport at the local AHC.

> 4.Are interviews compulsory for all applicants applying under the ‘skilled
    > independent' (IT personnel) category for migration to Australia? If not, in what
    > instances are applicants called for interviews?

No. There are some threads on this from last week.

> 5.Approximately how much time (weeks) is given by DIMA for an applicant to attend
    > the interview?
    > 6.Is it only the principal applicant who is interviewed or all family members
    > included in the application?
    > 7.Is the permanent residence visa stamped on the passports by the Australian High
    > Commission overseas or else is it stamped only after landing in Australia?

It's a pinkish sticker, the size of a passprt page, put into the passport directly
after you recieve the letter granting it. The local AHC puts it in.

> 8.If a permanent residence visa is not stamped on the passport of the applicant
    > what type of a visa is given to enter Australia?
    > 9.How much time is given by DIMA for an applicant (IT personnel) to enter Australia
    > after the visa is granted?

1 year after medicals. I have 8 months to get there for an initial visit. The total
time to move is 5 years after date of granting visa. So I have till June 2007. After
that you can't leave unless you are a citizen or get a return resident visa. You are
meant to get there and stay there in those 5 years.