Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lots of questions, flights, to do etc.

lots of questions, flights, to do etc.

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lots of questions, flights, to do etc.

I apologise in advance. i know some of this has been covered already. i have tried searching, but just can't find what i am looking for. with 3 small children i just don't have enough spare time to waste it not finding things i know exist!

so firstly i read the other day a list someone had done of things to do before you go. could i either have a link to it, or could people suggest what should be on the list. probably should say that we have our pr, and accepted an offer on the house on tuesday. no chain, so should be heading off in april.

flights. we have 3 very young children 4,2 and 4 months (7 months by the time we travel!). which airlines would you recommend/avoid. any tips for the journey?

who did you book your flights with? we need to keep costs as low as poss, but without making the journey any more difficult than it has to be with 3 little ones

thanks for any help.

ps love this site, just wish i had more time to contribute/read

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was carriane's : " Things to do before you go.. part 1, 2, 3, 4."

Have a go on the search facility, it should come up.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

yes I did an everyhting you need to know part 1 2 and three search under just my name
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

thanks so much. i have printed it off. will try and read it when i get all the small people to bed. looks brilliant though
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Yep it is about a years worth of emails I collected and put together.

I have it printed off to take with me
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: lots of questions, flights, to do etc.

Originally posted by bazfer
I apologise in advance. i know some of this has been covered already. i have tried searching, but just can't find what i am looking for. with 3 small children i just don't have enough spare time to waste it not finding things i know exist!

so firstly i read the other day a list someone had done of things to do before you go. could i either have a link to it, or could people suggest what should be on the list. probably should say that we have our pr, and accepted an offer on the house on tuesday. no chain, so should be heading off in april.

flights. we have 3 very young children 4,2 and 4 months (7 months by the time we travel!). which airlines would you recommend/avoid. any tips for the journey?

who did you book your flights with? we need to keep costs as low as poss, but without making the journey any more difficult than it has to be with 3 little ones

thanks for any help.

singapore airlines, fab with children, try travelbag, they are v good, www.travelbag.co.uk

you should be able to get bulkhead with cot for little one and the middle row has four seats together, if you request it they are usually v accommodating.

try for night flight, they head out from heathrow at 6.30pm (12 hours so would prob fit in the 4 and 2 yr old night routine) and maybe break up flight a bit with a stopover, gives you a breather before starting again.

Oliver was 2 and we took his car seat which he slept happily in, have seen some children sleep on floor as they can lie out and vibration of plane helps!!!

mostly try not to get stressed yourself as they can sense that, have a few drinks and relax, you will always find someone else on flight willing to lend a hand
Old Jan 24th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: lots of questions, flights, to do etc.

Originally posted by bazfer

thanks for any help.

Hi bazfer,

My little one will be about the same age as your little one when we go (in the summer). I was wondering what you had thought about taking for your little one with you and what you were going to ship - my little one seems to have amassed an enormous amount of belongings for such a small person! I am worried about how much of our baggage allowance will be taken up with baby things! I'm sure our buggy weighs about 20kgs itself! Do you know whether the baby gets any luggage allowance if there is no seat booked for them?

Thanks,
Mummy
Old Jan 24th 2004, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
It is quite amazing isn't it the amount of stuff you have for a small person
I have just asked for help from oz travel about pushchairs and carseats. i have friends who have flown shorthaul and they have been allowed to take carseats, which have been put into the hold, but not counted as part of the luggage allowance. i know you can take umbrella fold pushchairs up to the steps of the aircraft,then they give it back to you when you disembark. Like you i have a heavier pushchair which doesn't umbrella fold, so i am finding out if it will have to count towards the luggage allowance. to be honest i never use the pram at the moment, i only ever use the sling, but i want to know what the position will be, incase we start using the pram. i have a rather tubby baby!!
we are going to ship the highchair. not sure if my baby will have started solids by the time we go, but i have a travel booster seat thing, which we can use until the highchair arrives.
You don't a luggage allowance for babies with no seat
my main concern is nappies. i use cloth nappies so most of our hand luggage is going to be napppies i think:scared:
i am hoping that the baby will still fit his carrycot so we won't need to take the travel cot, but as he is rather large we may have to rethink that!
sorry this is very long. will go now, but would be happy to compare notes on what to take/ship.