Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions about pest control......

Lots of questions about pest control......

Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough
Default Lots of questions about pest control......

Firstly how much does it cost?
Is now a good time to have it done (read somewhere on here that spring is best)?
How effective is it? I'm housesitting at a friends who had it done a week ago (because I was staying here LOL!) and there are still spiders and cockroaches EVERYWHERE. Surely they should be dead now? She paid $200 for inside and outside - is this usual?
Is it harmful to cats and dogs?

We found 19 huntsman spider babies yesterday - slightly freaking out about where the mum is!!

We move into our rental in a few weeks and want to get it right in our own home from the start cos this experience hasn't been much fun.

Any advice would be fantastic

Cheers!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Lots of questions about pest control......

We pay about $170 and have it done each January.

Houses that haven't had pest control before, will normally get lots of dead insects in the few weeks after a pest control, while they are being killed off.

Houses that are done regularly, rarely seem to have the same numbers of dead ones. I think I would like to have mine done every 11 months, as I do seem to see the odd cockroach in December. I actually saw one yesterday, first time in 11 months!

That has been from my own experiences. I remember one house we bought, where they were coming out of the woodwork for about 2 weeks, slowly dying off.

Check with the pest company if you need to keep animals away, but our one says their spray does not affect them, or fish or birds. But I think some might.

Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that really would depend on what pest control you wanted.
So far in our house we have only had treatments for white ant, and possums. Far more than $200, but a rental so I don't care.
You can buy those bug bomb things, much cheaper. They say you have to move you and all pets from the house for 2 hours after you let them off, but after that it is fine.
We bought some when we first got here, but have not had to use them.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

yes cockroaches here too.. not too many but we see none for weeks then 3 in a week - some small, some large... i see them outside at night but its fairly common round here.

Dog has fleas too - he is frontlined every 4 weeks and cleaned daily but as soon as he goes out for a wee he comes back with more grrr

Am going to bomb the house myself as in a rental... what do i need to clear out other than dog and us... will i need to change the beds and rewash clothes? wash the dishes, do i take the food outside???
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:50 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay $120 - comes with a year guarantee for cockroaches.

I had it done 2 weeks ago, still have one or two cockroaches in the garage so he is coming back next week to redo it. My guy is really nice and actively encourages you to call him back by calling and asking if you are happy and if you have seen any more.

I try to be away for a couple of days if I can. I also bought some stuff from bunnings and did the barrier around the house

Viv
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:26 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a christmas tree last week and got a free funnel web with it! She kindly busied herself with laying egg sacs and things behind the picture frame that is next to the Christmas Tree - until we spotted her of course!

R.I.P. Christmas Fairy Funnel Web!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:42 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

poor spidey.

I spend absolutely ages catching things in my house and liberating them while my 6ft 2 builder husband screams, dances and shouts "keell it, keel it"

I thought I would never have a pest guy come but I have convinced myself not to think about it as I cannot stand cockroaches. I would prefer a snake or mouse - they are horrible things
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough

Poor spidey??? nooooooo!! Funnel webs are nasty fellas - I'm surprised how calm Ponyrama sounds LOL!

Well thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to get our own place done before we move in. More cockroaches last night and few spiders but nothing (so far) today.

I think ABCdiamond is right - my friend has never had pest control before and we back right on to bush - our house is lot more suburban so hopefully less nasties creeping me out.

other than the insects Sydney is fab
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Candy Groove
I'm definitely going to get our own place done before we move in.
If your house is completely empty when they do it, let them know in advance, as they may be able to do a special spray.
I had that done, once, with a totally empty house, and I know it was very efficient, as the pest control guy wore a gas mask!

We had to leave the house empty for about 12 hours afterwards though.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

oooh that sounds like just what I'm looking for - will start asking around to get somebody booked in. Cheers

I'm happy to go chemical crazy if it means I'm not screaming like a girl every 5 mins like I have been the last few days

Apologies to all those who think spiders are nature's way of killing mozzies and flies - I've got chemicals for those too
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

You can also get some Electronic Spider Control units for about $40, or maybe more, mine was about 5 years ago.

I feel that some of them work, at least the one I bought does.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:47 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking about bug bombing our house... am going to get some of the cannister ones tomorrow and let them off whilst I go and pick OH up from Brisbane.. will take 4 hours min round trip

Am getting quite a few spiders coming in, but the insects will be taken care of by our lizards (or Gekgos... sp??) so am now worried... will I kill off the Lizards too? Don't want to lose them! They are quite small and scurry about our living area and bedrooms and eat up all the midges!

Any advice?

Em x
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a huge redback problem, our bloody kelpie dog enjoys eating them.

Pest control is coming in two weeks to termite treat the house which is done every couple of years and do a pest spray.

Im afraid my cat comes before the spiders so I will use whatever chemicals I have to in order to make the house safe for him.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Am getting quite a few spiders coming in, but the insects will be taken care of by our lizards (or Gekgos... sp??) so am now worried... will I kill off the Lizards too? Don't want to lose them! They are quite small and scurry about our living area and bedrooms and eat up all the midges!

Any advice?

Em x
Other people on here before have said that those bombs also get rid of gekcos.