Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Surely you have to separate need from greed. Owning things because they are needed is not really considered materialistic. I wouldn't say I was materialistic just because I own some pots and pans.
Capitalist pig! Flaunting your hoighty-toighty pots and pans when some of us haven't got so much as a spork!

Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mohogony
Of the 110,000 Brits who immigrated to OZ over the past 5 years only 11,000 went back home. So perhaps OZ is'nt as bad as some of the negative posts make out or you would think alot more would be going back then only around 10%.
This seems to be rather a large assumption. There are many people here who cannot go home be it for family, financial or other reasons and, for the want of a better word, are stuck in a place they don't want to be. This is also true for a lot of Australians who would love to migrate but are unable to do so.

Also the idea that only the 'unhappy' have taken the time and effort to seek out this site seems to be a bit of a giant leap. I myself only discovered this site a few months ago and have been 'unhappy' here for 10 years.

Why do 'negative' posts bother people so much? Do they create a little 'itch' in an unscratchable area? Do they make you start to question your own worldview, judgements, decisions? This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I'm just curious.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Surely you have to separate need from greed. Owning things because they are needed is not really considered materialistic. I wouldn't say I was materialistic just because I own some pots and pans.
Well, again, in its simplest terms it does, pots and pans equal 'matter' and owning 'matter' makes you materialistic.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:50 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Capitalist pig! Flaunting your hoighty-toighty pots and pans when some of us haven't got so much as a spork!

I'd better not mention that some of them have teflon
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salopian
Well, again, in its simplest terms it does, pots and pans equal 'matter' and owning 'matter' makes you materialistic.
Yeah but that's too technical a definition. We have bodies therefore we are materialistic (Or is it just my imagination )
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:26 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I can't speak for what all newbies are thinking but will try to articulate what I am thinking. Well firstly my husband is more enthusiastic than I am, he always spouts the better life stuff which irritates me a little because he hasn't really looked into what life will be like and just assumes it will be better.

At risk of sounding morbid, at this point I cannot see myself growing old anywhere but the UK however I am happy to try something different for X years and if I change my mind about growing old there then that is fine. I am excited about the adventure and seeing and living in a different part of the world. My husband and I could easily plan ten years of holidays within Austalia, NZ and Pacific. Travel is important to us and we don't have children to consider with the move.

Financially we will be worse off, because we both work in london and sydney salaries just don't seem to match up to london salaries, altho with poor fx rate they are looking about the same at the moment but not if a more typical historical fx rate was applied. However we will come over with about £300k cash and can still earn a very decent living so there is nothing to moan about, but just saying will not be better off financially.
No kids and 300k ?!?!?

good god you should be laughing Most Brits come over with substantially less than that.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Icegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant future

Eeek!

Well I did two years, came home and would never go back there (Awful weather, far too expensive, bad choice of anything, 20 years ago, homophobic/racist/sexist).

OK, the negativity isn't what you want to hear, course it isn't but it's perhaps worth listening to as it will be part of your reality once you move.

Australia has great things to offer, it really does but it is not equivalent to the UK with sun.
It's so far back from the UK, in terms of everything, and the sun?
God yeah, how much fun is it to be burned to a crisp within 10 minutes of going out.

You could always go out after work, but remember, there are no long, late summer nights in Aus so you may still get home in the dark in summer.

You know, you have to work in Aus too.

I know people have a laugh about Bogans on here, but why is it that most posters wanting to emigrate are exactly that?

They are desperate to settle in Joondalup, work as builders, and never be able to spell, whilst frying on the beach.

That's why I do not live in Oz.
My Daughter is entitled to a passport, if she goes, I'll be pushing her towards Subiaco, and paying for it, lest she ends up a shell suited Pom.

The ignorance on here is astounding, the bad spelling and grammar is shocking, but hey, there's sun right?
I want more for my child.
A good education, and for her to be able to spell, even if the weather is bad.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:02 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Icegirl
Eeek!

Well I did two years, came home and would never go back there (Awful weather, far too expensive, bad choice of anything, 20 years ago, homophobic/racist/sexist).

OK, the negativity isn't what you want to hear, course it isn't but it's perhaps worth listening to as it will be part of your reality once you move.

Australia has great things to offer, it really does but it is not equivalent to the UK with sun.
It's so far back from the UK, in terms of everything, and the sun?
God yeah, how much fun is it to be burned to a crisp within 10 minutes of going out.

You could always go out after work, but remember, there are no long, late summer nights in Aus so you may still get home in the dark in summer.

You know, you have to work in Aus too.

I know people have a laugh about Bogans on here, but why is it that most posters wanting to emigrate are exactly that?

They are desperate to settle in Joondalup, work as builders, and never be able to spell, whilst frying on the beach.

That's why I do not live in Oz.
My Daughter is entitled to a passport, if she goes, I'll be pushing her towards Subiaco, and paying for it, lest she ends up a shell suited Pom.

The ignorance on here is astounding, the bad spelling and grammar is shocking, but hey, there's sun right?
I want more for my child.
A good education, and for her to be able to spell, even if the weather is bad.
Everyone is different. Personally I enjoy the weather here a lot - summer is a bit hot but not unbearable, autumn is just gorgeous, winter very mild; I don't find it far too expensive (and we are both currently unemployed); choices for some things are limited but I can live with that, it's not about essentials; some things are a bit backward it's true and yes this is not a particularly PC country, which I find hard to get to grips with at times....but there are pros and cons in every place. Ref education, I have met beautifully educated children here (and not all private). Just cos you had a bad time doesn't mean everyone will...wild generalisations are so unhelpful. Of course life is not perfect in Australia , but neither is it perfect anywhere else.

P.S. I'm a highly qualified and very well-educated person, who can indeed spell. However, I don't have anything against people who can't spell or who are in a trade. Which is just as well as my husband's spelling is not great and also he is a cabinetmaker by trade. This does not make him a bogan. What a weird thing to say.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:06 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>Australia has great things to offer, it really does but it is not equivalent to the UK with sun.</snip>
Thanks for the clarification
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
I needed to read this. I was beginning to wonder what kind of place I was considering moving my family to based on recent threads.
Just keep in mind that some trolls who post negative commenets on here appear to be the same person using different names (spell the same words wrong, use the same unusual punctuation marks]
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salopian
Why do 'negative' posts bother people so much? Do they create a little 'itch' in an unscratchable area? Do they make you start to question your own worldview, judgements, decisions? This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I'm just curious.
Negative posts bother people so much because they need validation that their decision to move is the correct decision. Negative posts don't give them the validation they need. Lack of cofidence in ones decisions, low self esteem...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:44 am
Account Closed

It's so far back from the UK, in terms of everything,
Yes, Australia is stuck in the dark ages. It's like going back it time to where the UK was 20 years ago.

and the sun? God yeah, how much fun is it to be burned to a crisp within 10 minutes of going out.
Slip, slop, slap!

You were obviously in QLD or a part of Oz that doesn't have daylight savings. You will find that the southern regions do have daylight savings and do get long summer nights and tends to get dark around 9:00pm (Melb). And Queenslanders still don't want daylight savings?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Just keep in mind that some trolls who post negative commenets on here appear to be the same person using different names (spell the same words wrong, use the same unusual punctuation marks]
Isn't that against BEs' rules to have more than one account?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Negative posts bother people so much because they need validation that their decision to move is the correct decision. Negative posts don't give them the validation they need. Lack of cofidence in ones decisions, low self esteem...
Rubbish, I don't need validation. I am a 40 year old woman who knows what she wants out of life. Negative posts passed off as facts when they are merely opinions is what gripes me. Human nature dictates that not all people are going to like the same thing which is fine, how boring would life be if we liked the same thing! However, when you get drivel passed around as fact when it is merely an opinion it is most annoying.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
Rubbish, I don't need validation. I am a 40 year old woman who knows what she wants out of life. Negative posts passed off as facts when they are merely opinions is what gripes me. Human nature dictates that not all people are going to like the same thing which is fine, how boring would life be if we liked the same thing! However, when you get drivel passed around as fact when it is merely an opinion it is most annoying.
You may not need validation but it appears my post hit a nerve. Psychologists may disagree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.