Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lost passport in Oz

lost passport in Oz

Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default lost passport in Oz

Lost my passport with my visa in... Complete mystery, sure it's here SOMEWHERE.

Does anyone know how I replace it and get my visa re-inserted! What happens about stamping the passport etc....

Thanks from an idiot..
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: lost passport in Oz

Originally Posted by Seabird

Does anyone know how I replace it and get my visa re-inserted! What happens about stamping the passport etc....

Thanks from an idiot..
Knew I was an idiot... now I'm talking to myself... turned up after a week of looking about 30 seconds after posting!! they were in my computer case!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:16 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased you found it OK.

What a relief it must be for you
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So you found your passport, but had you not done so the drill would have been:

- get new passport from British High Commission, Canberra;
- get visa re-stamped at the nearest DIMA office (free unless it's an RRV)
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Hi JAJ
Do you know what happens if we want to change our son's last name? he is not known as the name in his passport but it just seemed easier to get the visa without messing around getting a new one. We are still in the UK

Any help gratefully received
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi JAJ
Do you know what happens if we want to change our son's last name? he is not known as the name in his passport but it just seemed easier to get the visa without messing around getting a new one. We are still in the UK

I can't comment about the practicalities of changing his name, either in the UK or Australia (see a family law solicitor?).

However as far as visa is concerned, the AHC London don't normally "re-stamp" visas and if you arrive to check-in for a flight with a passport in a different name to a visa then you will almost certainly be delayed (and possibly miss flight) while they get clearance from DIMA in Australia.

It's a lot easier to get a visa re-stamped in Australia, however DIMA will want to see evidence of the change of name.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, no complications in changing his name as he is over 16

I'll wait until we get to OZ before we worry about a new passport with a different name
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: lost passport in Oz

Knew I was an idiot... now I'm talking to myself... turned up after a week of looking about 30 seconds after posting!! they were in my computer case!
I lost mine in the departure lounge of Adelaide airport, just minutes before I was due to board a connecting flight for Kansai.

Astonishingly, some honest soul found it and handed it in to the chaps at the concourse gate, who waved it under my nose and gave me a good ticking-off for being so stupid when I went over to explain my situation.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ

Thanks, Jeremy

Hope all's well. All fine and dandy here in Adelaide.

Claire.