Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lose 15% of your pension

Lose 15% of your pension

Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Lose 15% of your pension

Hi all,

I was told last week, that if you do not transfer your UK pension(s) to Oz within 6 months of arrival that you can 'lose' 15% of their value. I don't know what the 15% is. Tax I assume.

Is there any truth in this or complete rubbish?

Cheers
Scott
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lose 15% of your pension

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Hi all,

I was told last week, that if you do not transfer your UK pension(s) to Oz within 6 months of arrival that you can 'lose' 15% of their value. I don't know what the 15% is. Tax I assume.

Is there any truth in this or complete rubbish?

Cheers
Scott
Hi Scott.
Yes there is some truth.....but not the whole truth.

It is 15% Aus tax which is calculated on the growth element of the pension from the time you become tax resident to the time you transfer it.
So to say you lose 15% of your pension value is very wide of the mark.