Los Angeles

Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Los Angeles

We are going to stay in L.A for about 5 days on our way to Adelaide. Just wondering if anyone can reccomend accomadation, places to visit etc.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Los Angeles

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
We are going to stay in L.A for about 5 days on our way to Adelaide. Just wondering if anyone can reccomend accomadation, places to visit etc.

Assuming you have a hire car, go south to San Diego - its lovely! Much cooler than LA itself. From Dan Diego town center you can also catch a train down to Mexico (a couple of dollars) and walk over the border into Tijuana, its a bit of a tourist trap but hey, its great to say you've been and have a couple of tequilas or margaritas!! Loads of malls to pick up your last minute bargain clothes if theres any room left in your suitcase!
Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

wannabee

May I ask why you are moving from Florida to Aus and was it difficult to get a US visa?
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

for a special couple of nights try the queen mary boat/hotel..

look up the past thread on disney etc and see the posts

cheers

richard
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
Depends on your budget - but the Regent Beveley Wiltshite (as features in Pretty Woman) is one of the better hotels in LA.

Rooms will cost $350US upwards.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

for what its worth, we fly into la 21st sept and then catching a flight to las vegas (only 1 hour 5 mins) and spending 5 nights there at the sahara for $34 per night per room. i'm sure its not everyones' cup of tea, but we are very excited and will let our hair down for those few days! i booked the flights direct with american airlines just £60 each and the hotel direct too - much cheaper than going through an agent, expedia or last minute.com.
we looked at la but as never been before and not knowing the area we felt a bit wary after seeing things about all the gangs, probably would be fine if you take a taxi direct to a tourist area rather than downtown area. san diego is about an hour and a half drive south, a friend has recently moved there and yes, it is a wonderful place, great zoo especially.
karen
Old Jul 11th 2003, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I am going to disagree with Wannabee Wallaby and recommend not going to Tijuana. I live in San Diego and occasionally go there myself just to buy bits and pieces but don't think it is a prime tourist destination. The health aspect in summer is rather frightening. You cross walkways over open sewers and in this summer heat that we are experiencing here I would hate to think how rampant disease could be. Also it is too easy to pick up a tummy bug because of the hygiene conditions. If you have children they may find it a bit intimidating, that is locals pressuring everyone who walks by to buy and I am not sure that they would enjoy the experience. I had friends who went there last year with their children 8 and 10, and they were quite horrified at the conditions.

Las Vegas is always a fun alternative for parents and children and prices for accommodation and food are reasonable.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vicky88
Actually I am going to disagree with Wannabee Wallaby and recommend not going to Tijuana. I live in San Diego and occasionally go there myself just to buy bits and pieces but don't think it is a prime tourist destination. The health aspect in summer is rather frightening. You cross walkways over open sewers and in this summer heat that we are experiencing here I would hate to think how rampant disease could be. Also it is too easy to pick up a tummy bug because of the hygiene conditions. If you have children they may find it a bit intimidating, that is locals pressuring everyone who walks by to buy and I am not sure that they would enjoy the experience. I had friends who went there last year with their children 8 and 10, and they were quite horrified at the conditions.

Las Vegas is always a fun alternative for parents and children and prices for accommodation and food are reasonable.

You are right very nasty smells at this time of year...........

I love Las Vegas..........
Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

A few hours from San Diego is a town of Yuma on the California/Arizona/Mexican border,adjacent to the Imperial Sand Dunes,that is ideal if you want something a bit different.
The weather there is great for a tan!Also the Mexican border towns arn't as hectic as Tijuana.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
wannabee

May I ask why you are moving from Florida to Aus and was it difficult to get a US visa?

I was born in Oz in the 60's when my parents were 10 pound poms and hubby and I have been in the US for 10yrs and 8yrs respectively and have decided that it is time to reclaim my birthright! Besides most of our friends here are leaving and we aren't getting any younger.....! As for the US visa, hubby's parents have a business here.