Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lorry driving in Oz?

Wikiposts

Lorry driving in Oz?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:05 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Question Lorry driving in Oz?

Another question I'm hoping someone can answer......

I work in sales here in the UK, however, fully intend to get a manual job 'outdoors' when we get to Oz. Years ago I obtained a HGV Class II driving license (HR equivalent down under). I was thinking of this as an occupation, after all, if Oz is anything like the UK, there will be no shortage of work for me.

I wondered if anyone down under works in this occupation and can give me an insight to how it differs to the UK. Apart from the obvious like distances and lack of traffic......

Does anyone know how easy it would be to upgrade my license on arrival? I quite fancy steaming through the outback in a road train
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:10 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Lorry driving in Oz?

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

I work in sales here in the UK, however, fully intend to get a manual job 'outdoors' when we get to Oz. Years ago I obtained a HGV Class II driving license (HR equivalent down under). I was thinking of this as an occupation, after all, if Oz is anything like the UK, there will be no shortage of work for me.

I wondered if anyone down under works in this occupation and can give me an insight to how it differs to the UK. Apart from the obvious like distances and lack of traffic......

Does anyone know how easy it would be to upgrade my license on arrival? I quite fancy steaming through the outback in a road train
Dont know where you are headed,but i do know there is loads of lorry driving jobs in perth area as thats where we are headed and husband is HGV driver...Hes more likely to find work than me and its my visa skill we are going on...!
It appears to swap your hgv for the Oz equivilant its a 16 question written test of which you must know 12 and a reverse round the car park test as far as I can remember...that is in WA mind...could be different elsewhere
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:13 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by peppi
Dont know where you are headed,but i do know there is loads of lorry driving jobs in perth area as thats where we are headed and husband is HGV driver...Hes more likely to find work than me and its my visa skill we are going on...!
It appears to swap your hgv for the Oz equivilant its a 16 question written test of which you must know 12 and a reverse round the car park test as far as I can remember...that is in WA mind...could be different elsewhere

Hi Peppi,

We are headed to Brisbane area, would appear that there are loads of driving jobs there aswell, same as this country I guess - lots of work, not enough qualified drivers!!
Thanks for the info on conversion, didn't know that....very keen to upgrade though and start driving something BIG....tut, boys n toys eh?
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:59 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I drove trucks in Oz for 10 years, I really loved it! You may have to resit your HGV test when you move to Oz. I wasn't able to transfer my OZ HGV license when I moved to Glasgow, I was told by the DVLA that Oz and UK did not have an agreement to exchange the HGV licenses.
However, I can tell you that there is heaps of work for truck drivers in Brisbane. I have a few mates in Brisbane and they where saying there was a big shortage of truck drivers. As for road trains you may have to get a few years of experience before a transport company will let you drive one of these.
Jim
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I drove trucks in Oz for 10 years, I really loved it! You may have to resit your HGV test when you move to Oz. I wasn't able to transfer my OZ HGV license when I moved to Glasgow, I was told by the DVLA that Oz and UK did not have an agreement to exchange the HGV licenses.
However, I can tell you that there is heaps of work for truck drivers in Brisbane. I have a few mates in Brisbane and they where saying there was a big shortage of truck drivers. As for road trains you may have to get a few years of experience before a transport company will let you drive one of these.
Jim
Jim,

Thanx for your response. Firstly, WHAT the heck is an aussie doing living in Glasgow....are you insane? Get yerself back home my son!!!

Good to have some confirmation about there being heaps of work out there. I have read so many stories on here of people struggling to get work when they migrate.

Pretty sure that the conversion wont involve much, have already had a response from QLD transport people (forget what they're called exactly) saying that it is just a formality nowadays......

One question I have that you may be able to help with? What is the general procedure for finding this kind of work in Oz? Over here it is considered OK to just turn up at the yard with your license and ask...is that true in Oz?

Also, are you able to recommend any agencies or publications that have a slant towards truckies?

Thanx again Jim.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Jim

Forgot to ask Jim, will you be driving trucks upon you return? Any idea what is considered to be the 'good' work as opposed to bad..ie, builders merchant work in the UK???
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:06 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

There was a company in north western Australia near the mines i think offering $100,000 a year for road train drivers wish i could drive one and come to think of it i might of been More than that he was on the news a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:15 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hey mate,
Firstly I'm in Glasgow because I met a Scottish lass. She now has her visa so we are heading back to Oz ASAP.
You could turn up at some of the yards with your licence and ask for work, I know that some transport companies don't advertise, the other way is to register with an employment agency. Newspapers and the Internet also have job adverts.
Yes I will be defiantly be returning to the truck driving when I get back, I will be heading for Canberra, I have some good contacts in the transport industry there so its best for me to go where I know I can get work. Perhaps later on once we are settled we may look else where.
As for type of work, its pretty much up to you. I have done both interstate and local work and I enjoyed both there is probably a little bit more pressure on you with interstate driving as there are deadlines to meet. If I were you I would start doing local work first, get to know Brisbane and its surrounding areas first. Its much easier to turn a small truck around than it is an articulated truck if you were to make a mistake.
If you want to work in road trains you may have to move west because road trains ain't permitted in Brisbane. I know that they are only permitted to drive as far west as Warrick which is about 300 kms west of Brisbane.
I have a magazine called TRUCKING LIFE which you can have. It has various articles in it about the transport industry, also has some good pictures of trucks. If you want this mag PM me and I'll send to ya.
Well I hope this helps you if need anymore info let me know and I'll try to help you the best I can.
Jim
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Hey mate,
Firstly I'm in Glasgow because I met a Scottish lass. She now has her visa so we are heading back to Oz ASAP.
You could turn up at some of the yards with your licence and ask for work, I know that some transport companies don't advertise, the other way is to register with an employment agency. Newspapers and the Internet also have job adverts.
Yes I will be defiantly be returning to the truck driving when I get back, I will be heading for Canberra, I have some good contacts in the transport industry there so its best for me to go where I know I can get work. Perhaps later on once we are settled we may look else where.
As for type of work, its pretty much up to you. I have done both interstate and local work and I enjoyed both there is probably a little bit more pressure on you with interstate driving as there are deadlines to meet. If I were you I would start doing local work first, get to know Brisbane and its surrounding areas first. Its much easier to turn a small truck around than it is an articulated truck if you were to make a mistake.
If you want to work in road trains you may have to move west because road trains ain't permitted in Brisbane. I know that they are only permitted to drive as far west as Warrick which is about 300 kms west of Brisbane.
I have a magazine called TRUCKING LIFE which you can have. It has various articles in it about the transport industry, also has some good pictures of trucks. If you want this mag PM me and I'll send to ya.
Well I hope this helps you if need anymore info let me know and I'll try to help you the best I can.
Jim
Jim,

Thanx a million for your post........thats pretty much what I figured, start off doing rigid local work and suss things out from there.
The magazine would be fantastic...will PM my address to you in a mo.
Well, good luck with the move, I bet both you and your girlfriend are itching to get back aint ya!
Thanx again Jim, thats a really nice thing to do re; the magazine....

Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:23 pm
Breast Inspector

Jim,

Thanx a million for your post........thats pretty much what I figured, start off doing rigid local work and suss things out from there.
The magazine would be fantastic...will PM my address to you in a mo.
Well, good luck with the move, I bet both you and your girlfriend are itching to get back aint ya!
Thanx again Jim, thats a really nice thing to do re; the magazine....

No worries mate, glad i could help.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:16 pm
LSH
Forum Regular

LSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant future

Interesting thread and worth a bump!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Ummmm sales , road train , dreaming .
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know for sure whether a UK HGV licence transfers to QLD licence? Got my class 1 and was hoping to do a bit when i get over in September!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:52 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Hun
Does anyone know for sure whether a UK HGV licence transfers to QLD licence? Got my class 1 and was hoping to do a bit when i get over in September!
I can only imagine you will have to do some sort of refresh test...cant see they are going to do a straight swap like for like..the Ozzies just aint like that...
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pogsy
Ummmm sales , road train , dreaming .
No, actually quite a realistic dream!!

Yes, I will need experience granted, but being the 'educated person' that I am, realise that this can only be a good thing!

Was just wondering how many more of my threads you intend to hijack after I corrected your rather 'un-educated' comments elsewhere earlier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.