Reload this Page >

Loosers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

Wikiposts

Loosers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Losers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

The two threads, Employment and what do you earn, surprised me a bit, basically there are some very high income earners (well staggering income earners in OZ terms), and some very intelligent posters if IT, Consultants, Own Business, etc are anything to go by.

Yet these people only have to post one negative to be called saddos and losers by those in the UK who think they are making up stuff.

I think Oweib posted the other day and it was ignored of course that people do post truths here but its usually dismisssed as whinging. Jayr and Bondi also commented on objecting to being called a loser.

From living here these people are obvioulsy posting some highly useful info, look at Oweib, no gloss, straight down the line and look at him after a year very successful and happy it seems.

Think about the people you are calling losers, seems to me they are far from it!!

Sir Loser might be more appropriate. Or Ms Loser in my case
Thank you.

Last edited by dotty; Oct 7th 2003 at 7:19 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The good news is some of these posters as mentioned above are now doing well in proffessions that are not easy to get into at the moment. So the advice from these people is even more relavant.

I would take my hat off to you all, but my bloody head will burn.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loosers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

Originally posted by dotty
The two threads, Employment and what do you earn, surprised me a bit, basically there are some very high income earners (well staggering income earners in OZ terms), and some very intelligent posters if IT, Consultants, Own Business, etc are anything to go by.

Yet these people only have to post one negative to be called saddos and loosers by those in the UK who think they are making up stuff.

I think Oweib posted the other day and it was ignored of course that people do post truths here but its usually dismisssed as whinging. Jayr and Bondi also commented on objecting to being called a looser.

From living here these people are obvioulsy posting some highly useful info, look at Oweib, no gloss, straight down the line and look at him after a year very successful and happy it seems.

Think about the people you are calling loosers, seems to me they are far from it!!

Sir Looser might be more appropriate. Or Ms Looser in my case
Thank you.
Errrr that would be "loser" dotty.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly found those comments a counter productive and lowered my opinions of those saying them. I have still not put anyone on the ignore list (tempting though) as everyone should be heard out.

If there were no residents on the forum those in the process of waiting would be getting no tips on what they are in for both short and long term. They would be missing out on serious information as well as the trivial.

The only thing I can think of in defence of those saying these things is that they are under stress. After putting in so much personal effort of applying, waiting, selling house and shipping the last thing people want to hear is that Australia might not be for them.

They are more than welcome to put me on their ignore list but they will be more ignorant for it. Tough luck if you only want the good stuff.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Losers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

Who called you a loser Dotty?? i must have missed it as i dont read all the threads as some aren't relevant to me.

Originally posted by dotty

Yet these people only have to post one negative to be called saddos and losers by those in the UK who think they are making up stuff.

I think Oweib posted the other day and it was ignored of course that people do post truths here but its usually dismisssed as whinging. Jayr and Bondi also commented on objecting to being called a loser.

Think about the people you are calling losers, seems to me they are far from it!!

Sir Loser might be more appropriate. Or Ms Loser in my case
Thank you.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:37 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

for my part-as i said earlier in a post i lived in sydney in 95/96 in western suburbs(and short time in easter suburbs) and have no illusions what life is like OZ-socially/economically etc.
While i have been back twice on holidays -latest august 2002-i find the info posted by the people in this forum invaluable.
on a personnal note i am in IT (AT THE MOMENT)i have found the "reality"posts by bondipom,jayr et al extremely helpful.Say to anyone in general - i am going to OZ and i work in IT and the response you get is -oh you'll have no problem finding work.REALITY -i will find it extremely hard to find work.previous to finding this forum i checked jobs sections in the on-line job agencies /papers etc and knew there was little being advertised.i did think that "oh will be different there -lots of jobs not advertised -just have to get out there and find one."

But by reading the responses of those there -living it- i have had to seriously look at back up stratigies if i get there. For me this is the kind of info i need i dont want to be going anywhere with some sort of "fantasy"in my head.Since August i have already reconsidered going to WA and changing to NSW and a range of other changes(jobs for one!)

Personnally i thank the reality posts and those that post them
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losers, I think you'd better make that Sir Looser

Originally posted by podgypossum
Who called you a loser Dotty?? i must have missed it as i dont read all the threads as some aren't relevant to me.
I wondered the same & even asked jayr the other day. I must have missed that one!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I agree with Seang. Let's hear the good stuff, the bad stuff and the downright ridiculous and funny.

Take the information provided from someones experience of life and use it how you will!!

If you think the poster is being negative then disregard the info and get on with it. The point may be still valid.

If the poster has a point that you think is relevant then use the information in any way you can.

The bottom line is this:

Get on with your own bloody life - use your experience and knowledge to live the best way you can!!

God, I didn't know I could spout such drivvle for so long!!

Billabong
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If I were you I wouldn't go around saying that I was 'looser' people might get the wrong idea about you

I would also be interested to know who has been saying that these posters are losers?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Although most people appear to be in I.T or quite highly skilled,due respect to all of course ,how many of you are actually prepared to take lower skilled or more manual labour to get you started or to keep you going,as I.T seems to be quite sought after and possibly reaching saturation point.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by chris hogan
Although most people appear to be in I.T or quite highly skilled,due respect to all of course ,how many of you are actually prepared to take lower skilled or more manual labour to get you started or to keep you going,as I.T seems to be quite sought after and possibly reaching saturation point.
IT does seem a bit flooded, the job vacancies here are very heavily geared to Construction, Hospitality, and human services like, aged care, child care.

Qualified building industry workers are the ones who will be laughing, severe shortages. Its a matter of monitering the economy, IT might have been the go 18 months ago, now its construction, but you need all the right papers and training.
2 years on it could change again, thats what business demands here, very up to date and realistic research.

Speaking of work, must go and do some.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:33 am
owieb

Difficult one to answer!

I never thought that I wouldn't work in IT out here, but I had to start off working in an office, something that I hadn't done for 14 years so that was a bit of a shock to the system. My "office" skills, politics and knowledge were awful, I couldn't even work the photocopier.

Unfortunately my DIY skills are even worse than my photocopier skills so I think any form of building/manual labour stuff would not work out.

I would do whatever is needed to stay out here, but I don't think it would ever come to that as I have a few strings to my bow.

I'd like to go back into the music business.

Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky for me my company transferred me because our family was going to move to Aus regardless. It only changed our decision to move to Sydney rather than Melobourne as planned. I knew my skills would be in demand because I had done my research and I had no plans to change my field even if I hadn't got the transfer. Husband is a printer (we got PR on his qualifications) and he was having no luck in getting back into the field - basically jobs for the boys (who not what you know) and after five months of applying for every job going, including digging holes and garden clearing, he got a job in New Car Sales. Boy did the people at home wet themselves laughing! He could of got a job out Ballarat way but I wasn't going inland to a rural area where I would have had to live away from home to continue in my field.

We have made compromises as most people will find they have to some degree when they move anywhere. He has been there just over a year and is happy enough in the job - but we came to have more time together as a family and he gets one weekend off in a month! We were hoping that he might not have to work and afford the chance to go back to college etc. That is not possible because of the cost of living where we are in Sydney. Which I know is our decision, but it would be very hard now to uproute the kids again and move to say Melbourne, which in hindsight maybe of been a better flexible/option for us. My son is 13 and finishing year 8 and after taking on the move here away from everything he ever wanted in the UK has stated he wants to stay put.

Trouble is after 18 months of not being in the field you work in - you get looked over more and more for jobs you might apply for. He keeps an eye out and puts in the odd application but is finding he has to apply for lesser roles because of current work experience. Same thing happens with IT skills if you are not working in your area for a period of time you lose the edge on information so it is not always an option to do something else for a while.

It pays to think carefully and really know the market and options before you come - but how many of us really know that and what might happen before or after we come over.

Cheers
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

IT is certainly going through a hard time at the moment, although over the last 6 months or so there have been some signs of moderate recovery.

Unemployment in the IT sector is running at about 20%. That may not sound that high, but to put it in perspective during the great depression, Australian unemployment peaked at about 29%.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:47 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-i would be very prepared to take lower paid job.In fact i realise i HAVE to.As i said before 10 months ago i was thinking "ah get to OZ maybe take a couple of $k less but offset that against cheaper cost of living and all will be good".Luckily i am a realist(well sort off)and had a gave myself a good talking to a few months ago(yes am talking to myself as well)the up shot was:
1)Do i really want to go to oz-YES
2)IT is dead do i want at 32 to have to do any job i can to make ends meet-YES -if i have to and eventually maybe retrain in another area
3)Do i have enough to keep myself going financially for 4-6 months-Just about'ish
4)Would i prefer to stay here (in Edinburgh at the moment)just to keep my job and standard of living-Was a bit undecided on that one but then though my company could let me go at a moments notice and then i am in the sh*t anyways.So i decided -right give it a go .if i fall flat on my face(without alcohol involved of course)might as well do it there rather than get possibly gt laid off and sit here regretting not giving it a go.

Short answer after long answer-yes would take lower paid/skilled/level/different job if and when it comes to it.And am going there (hopefully)with that in mind.

BTW - sorry to everbody getting ticked off with all the IT posts.

Last edited by seang; Oct 8th 2003 at 8:14 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.