Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Smile Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Can't believe it but my hubbie has had a firm job offer today (IT director) with relocating package and even a job for myself!! We'll be going on a business visa. 2 months ago we had no idea we would be going to Oz and then hubbie suddenly gets asked out the blue by an ex boss to consider a job he had going in Sydney! Can't believe this is really happening and now I'm getting scared!
Job is in Crows Nest. Any ideas where would be a good affordable place to rent (not bothered about the beach, just want it to be clean and leafy and fairly close to work so I can drop our daughter off at school etc). Waverton was mentioned by the Oz manager. Does anyone have any experience of this area.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Can't believe it but my hubbie has had a firm job offer today (IT director) with relocating package and even a job for myself!! We'll be going on a business visa. 2 months ago we had no idea we would be going to Oz and then hubbie suddenly gets asked out the blue by an ex boss to consider a job he had going in Sydney! Can't believe this is really happening and now I'm getting scared!
Job is in Crows Nest. Any ideas where would be a good affordable place to rent (not bothered about the beach, just want it to be clean and leafy and fairly close to work so I can drop our daughter off at school etc). Waverton was mentioned by the Oz manager. Does anyone have any experience of this area.

Thanks
No but if your hubby needs a data network manager with Prince2 and ITIL please let me know!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Thanks
Great news.......can I ask how went about finding the vacancy and getting to interview stage ?.........via agency or someone he knew.....what agency if he went that route?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe it but my hubbie has had a firm job offer today (IT director) with relocating package and even a job for myself!! We'll be going on a business visa.
As you're only going to be temporary residents rather than permanent, you need to be fully aware of all the issues you're going to encounter (school fees, healthcare, etc):
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Do you qualify for permanent visas?

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Well done,

Fantastic , enjoy Sydney
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:19 am
ABCDiamond

Waverton was mentioned by the Oz manager. Does anyone have any experience of this area.

Thanks
Info on Waverton

Crows Nest to Waverton

Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:10 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Great news.......can I ask how went about finding the vacancy and getting to interview stage ?.........via agency or someone he knew.....what agency if he went that route?
2 months ago we had no idea we would be going to Oz and then hubbie suddenly gets asked out the blue by an ex boss to consider a job he had going in Sydney!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Nice !!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Re: Looks like we're off to Sydney!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
As you're only going to be temporary residents rather than permanent, you need to be fully aware of all the issues you're going to encounter (school fees, healthcare, etc):
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Do you qualify for permanent visas?

Jeremy
I must admit, I thought we would qualify for free schooling seeing as we're going to be paying a whopping amount in tax. Still it's not the end of the world.
We are eligible for permanent visas as we have anough points for PR (with the bond that is). Husband was doing skills assessment last summer but never finished it. Thing is we need to be in Oz by June/July so don't have the time to apply for PR now. Do you know whether we could apply for PR as soon as we get there? There was something on your link about employers sponsoring for PR - I didn't realise this was possible? Do you get any extra points this way?
Thanks all.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, I thought we would qualify for free schooling seeing as we're going to be paying a whopping amount in tax.
Most temporary residents in the state of NSW must pay school fees. Will your employer pick up the bill - and if not, why not?

We are eligible for permanent visas as we have anough points for PR (with the bond that is). Husband was doing skills assessment last summer but never finished it. Thing is we need to be in Oz by June/July so don't have the time to apply for PR now. Do you know whether we could apply for PR as soon as we get there? There was something on your link about employers sponsoring for PR - I didn't realise this was possible? Do you get any extra points this way?
Thanks all.
There is no points test for employer sponsored PR (ENS and RSMS). However a skill assessment is required for ENS unless:

- you have worked in Australia for 2 years on a 457 (including 1 year for the sponsoring employer); OR
- the salary is over a specified threshold, approx AUD152,000 per annum.

The Sydney region is not eligible for RSMS.

Download and read booklet 5 to see the rules about employer nominated PR. Or you can go for points tested migration, you still need a skill assessment and meet the points test etc.

If you qualify for employer nominated PR, why not see if the employer is willing to sponsor immediately? Once you have the skill assessment done, the process can be fairly quick as employer nominated cases are given priority.

Contrary to popular myth, there is absolutely no requirement to come to Australia on a 457 visa beforehand.

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I must admit, I thought we would qualify for free schooling seeing as we're going to be paying a whopping amount in tax..
You would if you were going to WA, QLD or SA, but NSW is different